Help - I can get a good big machine for free, but can't move it - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 05-04-2015, 04:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Help - I can get a good big machine for free, but can't move it

I don't have a picture yet, but externally I see:

Craftsman (all Red/Black Craftsman colors)
30" width
Dual stage
11.5 HP Briggs & Stratton "Intek" engine
If I recall correctly its speed control has 5 or 6 Forward speeds and 3 dots in Reverse (which I guess might imply 3 reverse speeds?)

It also has a Sears Canada sales/order label stuck on it that shows a date of 2004-10-28 and a Sears item # 52470

Searching for Sears 52470 I found a notice published by Sears Canada in June 2007 re a potential safety hazard with the B&S engine in the models it listed. (Over priming can cause excess fuel to overflow into the carb and ignite). But the important thing is in models listed it showed that the "Sears Item Number 52470" was "Snow Blower Model Number C944.52470".

Thanks to the link to the Vintage Models site I found in these forums (Craftsman OEM List | VintageMachinery.org) it tells me that 944 = Husqvarna (and I knew previously that the C indicated Sears Canada). The same notice indicates "Regular Price 1799.99"

The above is the background to the machine I'm looking at ... now to my problem.

The woman I'll be taking it over from, hasn't used it in the last 4-5 years and I suspect it was hardly used much even before it stopped being used. There is no Owner's Manual and I've never dealt with a big hulking 2 stage monster like this beast is before so don't know how to do even very basic things with it.

Q: how would I go about tracking down an Owners Manual for it.

Q: I need to back it out of the tiny shed that it's in, but can't. The 2 wheels don't turn like I expected them to ... in hindsight, I guess because they are driven wheels and the motor's not running. Do I need to have the engine running before I can back it out?

Q: I'm hoping it might have an electric start because there's no room in the little shed to pull the cord to start it, but I haven't spotted a place for a plug yet (the little shed is also dark). Since it's been sitting unused for a number of years I suspect I'll have trouble starting it. If I can't get the engine started I guess that means I need to put the wheels on a dolly to drag it out?

I'd appreciate any suggestions anyone has for my predicament. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-04-2015, 04:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
As long as it is friction disc and not hydrostatic it should roll right out as long as the drive clutch isn't engaged. It could just have the reduction gears, axles and chains rusted.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 26 Old 05-04-2015, 04:45 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
1. should be easy to find something close enough to an owners manual, they are pretty basic.
2. you should not have to start the engine to roll the machine, are you depressing the handle for the wheel engagement? if so, dont, it should roll freely without the handle depressed. if it wont, dont try it with the engine running until you investigate why.
3.it should have an estart plug in , you must just be missing it.
post #4 of 26 Old 05-04-2015, 04:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
Are the tires flat?

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #5 of 26 Old 05-04-2015, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Post on this site asking specifically for the manual for that model and do a web search with google, ask, bing ... anything that works. Might have a paper copy on ebay.

Without the "drive" lever on the handlebar being pulled down it should be disengaged and will roll no matter where the shift lever is. If it's not rolling than something might be rusted in place.

I've always muscled them around even one old 32" ariens that I couldn't get into neutral (geared trans). Had to pull it up a driveway but for twenty five bucks I wasn't going to lose it.
It likely won't start if it's been sitting but you can try. At least put in some fresh gas first. That size engine came with an electric starter but there is no telling if it's still there. Need a flashlight to find it on the side of the engine and follow the cord up to where the plug would be.

If it has chains it might just be the chains making it feel like it's locked up until you can get a good pull. In tight quarters with chains, the chains can act like a wheel chock and keep the wheel from spinning until you really pull it.

The warning about over priming goes for any gas engine equipment. The whole purpose of that primer bulb is to shoot excess gas into the carb so I wouldn't be concerned about the bulletin.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 05-04-2015 at 04:55 PM.
post #6 of 26 Old 05-04-2015, 04:59 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Welcome to the forum

Forgot to say that the first time. Please add your location to your profile.

It is a Canadian Model because it starts with a "C". That will make getting info a bit harder.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 26 Old 05-04-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for all the comments / suggestions. Now I at least have some idea of what I need to do when I go back and investigate the machine some more.
post #8 of 26 Old 05-04-2015, 07:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
even if it is the gears and chains are rusted in place and the tires are flat if you pull hard enough it will move. It may be a big machine but you should be able to move it. It does not have to have the engine running as stated above unless it has a hydrostatic drive and it more than likely doesn't.

If the machine is free and not rusted out it is well worth getting. Once you get it come back here and we will help you get it running.

these things are pretty hard to kill unless the engine has thrown a rod or the gearbox is toast.
post #9 of 26 Old 05-04-2015, 08:11 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Hi! and nice that you have found a treasure.
You say the wheels don't turn as you expected them to. Do they turn at all ? What happens if you tip the front of the machine up by pushing down on the handles at the back. I would think that if they are seized they would roll backwards by however much you can rotate them.

Last edited by AL-; 05-04-2015 at 08:17 PM.
post #10 of 26 Old 05-08-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Smile finally got back to look at this machine again

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlB View Post
even if it is the gears and chains are rusted in place and the tires are flat if you pull hard enough it will move. It may be a big machine but you should be able to move it. It does not have to have the engine running as stated above unless it has a hydrostatic drive and it more than likely doesn't.

If the machine is free and not rusted out it is well worth getting. Once you get it come back here and we will help you get it running.

these things are pretty hard to kill unless the engine has thrown a rod or the gearbox is toast.
Thanks ... I appreciate all the helpful posts but I'll single out CarlB's as the one I'll continue with.

I've attached a picture of the back of the machine and it's controls. I've made some progress in terms of trying to figure out how to simply back it out of the shed. (And I also now can see where to put a plug to use it's electric start, but I haven't tried to actually start it yet. That will be the next challenge).

With reference to the new picture I've attached, if I simply squeeze the small red lever hand control on the left side in the picture, it frees the left side wheel and it now will turn, but only in a circle that pivots on the right side wheel that continues to be "locked".

The right side wheel has a pin through it that I tried removing ... thinking that it might allow it to move ... but it doesn't. It's still "frozen" / "locked up".

This afternoon when I was there, I shot it up with some penetrating oil, rust blaster kind of stuff and next time I get back there I'll see if anything has changed. (The right side wheel "hub cap" (all I can really see on the right hand whee and it's shaft) looks pretty rusty, so I'm hoping that the wheel shaft is rusted / seized up and that's what's preventing the right wheel from rolling freely ... not some other control I haven't found).

I continue to appreciate any other comments suggestions from folks that know how to deal with these beasts.

PS: Good news as well, is that the Sears Safety Hazard notice from 2007 that I tripped across, says Sears will come out and do the safety repair on site / where the machine is ... and as a bonus replace the spark plug and change the oil. (I haven't pursued this yet, but I plan to. If I manage to get Sears to come out and do the safety hazard repair, I suspect the tech that comes as a freebee will also know why the right wheel is locked up and possibly help me free it up if I haven't already figured that out. He might also manage to get the machine started for me. Another challenge that I'm going to have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page