LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-11-2015, 06:30 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 9
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 8
Tecumseh HM80 loose Governor Shaft?

I was given an older Ariens snow blower because of it's erratic running engine. The engine is a Tecumseh HM80, (8hp). The problem with the erratic running engine seems to start with the governor shaft. When the engine is running the governor shaft has so much play in it, the throttle linkage on the butterfly shaft is bouncing off the idle stop screw.
I have depleted my local resources, nobody can tell me if I have a worn bushing in the engine case or the hole in the case is worn? I need to know how to fix the play in the bushing.
Any help will be appreciated!

Thanks,
Jerry...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-11-2015, 11:02 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
replace the sump cover, the bushing is cast into it from what i remember. good luck finding one
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks JerryD thanked for this post
Likes JerryD liked this post
post #3 of 10 Old 07-11-2015, 11:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
I am not saying that the bushing is worn, but rather indicative to another issue that has been on going. It sounds as though this machine has been run at a partial fuel starvation mode. This may be an indication the the carb needs a thorough cleaning.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #4 of 10 Old 07-12-2015, 01:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 9
If there was wear in the governor shaft, you would notice oil leaking. There is usually a little in and out play on the governor shaft. Sounds like an issue with the carb, probably needs a good going through.
post #5 of 10 Old 07-12-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelhorseboy View Post
If there was wear in the governor shaft, you would notice oil leaking. There is usually a little in and out play on the governor shaft. Sounds like an issue with the carb, probably needs a good going through.
There is some oil leakage around the governor shaft. The shaft sits vertically in the engine and it has quite a bit of side play at the shaft, When I physically jiggle the governor shaft from side to side the throttle linkage moves, this is without turning the shaft.
The engine runs perfectly at high speed but low speed is all over the place.

Last edited by JerryD; 07-12-2015 at 08:30 AM.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 04:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Received): 2
JerryD -

If you want to go the route of replacing the sump cover and the integral governor, I have one from a perfectly running HM80 that I took out of service because the rest of the block had too many broken screws. There's no damage to the sump cover. It's in my thread in the For Sale section. Check out the last picture.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...arts-sale.html
post #7 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 07:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 50
How about a repower, if u paid nothing for the machine it might be well worth the 100$ to put a clone on it. Some get bent when they here this solution, but it will make your snowblower run, and being a snowblower forum I think that's what counts. Good luck, hope u find what you need.
Rob
post #8 of 10 Old 07-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
thats what i would do, the parts from the tecumseh would pay for the predator anyways. easy swap considering you have an hm80 which has the cast aluminum base instead of the thin stamped base. really for you its just a pulley swap, throttle cable swap(optional), and unbolting the old engine. 15-20 minute job max
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Rob711 liked this post
post #9 of 10 Old 07-16-2015, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
thats what i would do, the parts from the tecumseh would pay for the predator anyways. easy swap considering you have an hm80 which has the cast aluminum base instead of the thin stamped base. really for you its just a pulley swap, throttle cable swap(optional), and unbolting the old engine. 15-20 minute job max
I'm a fan of restoring and using the old equipment...I cut my grass with a 1957 Swisher Ride King (original Tecumseh engine), My yard tractor is a 1964 Cub Cadet (original 8hp Kohler), my snowblower is a 1971 Toro 832 with the original Briggs.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-16-2015, 11:39 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
i enjoy original engines and have never gotten rid of a good running engine, in fact im still running old smokey the 5hp briggs that burns a ton of oil on one of my walk behind leaf blowers because it still runs fine otherwise. the thing is with your engine the manufacturer went out of business almost 7 years ago, nos block parts are almost non existent now, and even if you did find parts they would be overpriced. those toros are awesome machines by the way, i have a 71 726 with a briggs model 17(dont quote me on it), runs better then a brand new big box machine and will throw anything you can feed it. never clogged on me once last season(that was the first season i had it)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page