LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-14-2015, 07:46 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Eska Starter Motor Woes

I am still using the Eska Sno-Flyer (Model 945C) my Dad bought in 1976. It is all chain drive and built like a tank. I have only had to rebuild the carburetor, keep up with the rust, and replace a few worn out chains.

While doing some routine maintenance, I checked the electric starter motor (Redmond, W2764A) and noticed that it was sparking a lot and heating up very quickly. I took it apart for cleaning, oiling, and brush replacement.

Well, that is where my woes began. I could not find replacement brushes anywhere and any motor place I took it to scratched their heads and sent my somewhere else. Some thought the brushes were fine, but the armature was defective and therefore the motor was toast. Another told me to replace the front bronze sleave bearing. So, I replaced the front bearing with no change in behavior.

The armature passes the various continuity checks I found on YouTube, so I have ordered some brushes on eBay that I should be able sand to the proper size. Given that the starter motor is almost 40 years old, I am not optimistic that I will be able to repair it well. So, I would like to buy a replacement motor.

Since I don't have any specs on the motor, I don't know what to look for in a retrofit starter. A picture is attached to this thread. All I really know is the following:

Diameter: 3 1/8"
Length: 4 1/4"
Shaft: 5/16"
Distance between studs: 2 5/16"

Can anyone advise me where to find a replacement starter to retrofit into the snowblower? What specs should I look for? What is the likely HP and RPM of the original starter motor?

Your help and advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Eska-Starter.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	53073  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-14-2015, 12:40 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Welcome to the forum Louye

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 07-14-2015, 02:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 9
What engine does your have on it? My Eska is powered by a Tecumseh, but i dont recognize that stater.
post #4 of 8 Old 07-14-2015, 03:57 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
Good luck on that 1. you could always peruse E-bay. ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 8 Old 07-14-2015, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
My Eska has a 5HP Tecumseh engine in it. I have had no luck finding something on eBay or at Surpluscenter.com. Then again, I don't really know what kind of motor I should be looking for.

Thanks for reading my thread and offering moral support.
post #6 of 8 Old 07-14-2015, 08:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by louye2 View Post
I am still using the Eska Sno-Flyer (Model 945C) my Dad bought in 1976. It is all chain drive and built like a tank.
Wait. Why does it look like even the starter has a chain gear on it?

edit: I found this. So it is a chain driven starter.
http://www.mytractorforum.com/119-ho...e-starter.html

Last edited by dbert; 07-14-2015 at 09:26 PM.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-14-2015, 11:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 9
Ill see if i cant get mine dug out tomorrow. Am wondering if you could do a flywheel swap to mount a different starter completely.
post #8 of 8 Old 07-20-2015, 08:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Update

Sorry to have been out of touch. Too many projects to get done this summer. Here's my latest update that may help some folks who are having difficulty finding a starter for their snowblower.

I installed a set of new brushes in the Eska starter motor with no change in behavior i.e. excessive sparking and overheating. I think this motor is toast!

I bought a used servo motor (Electro-Craft #05860012, 30 VDC) at my local electronic surplus store. After modifying the face mount, I attached it to a 24VDC 5A power supply and voila! The little servo motor had a lot of torque and was able to start the 5HP Tecumseh engine. So, I may have stumbled onto a solution to my problem. There is still more work to do to make the installation permanent and cover the motor with something to protect it from the elements. Of course, I won't know for sure until the winter when I try to start the Eska snowblower and the outside temperature is 20 degrees Fahrenheit!
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Grunt thanked for this post
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page