LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 Old 07-23-2015, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 13
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 27
One More To Put Back Into Service

It`s time to start on this one. Some of you may recall, that I picked it up on Craig`s List last winter. It is a 1964, Snow Shark three stage blower, made by Moto-Mower. (24") .

This is what I am starting with.----

=====================

First thing I figured I had better do, was to get the Kohler k-141 engine running. The inside of the gas tank, was coated with what looked like petrified honey. The inside of the carb, was plugged solid with the same stuff. I stripped all the parts off the carb.
I had nothing on hand, that was meant for soaking carbs in. Tried some paint thinner and a few other liquids, that I did have, but nothing had any effect. Had a can of After Wash (used on furniture, after the paint stripper is wiped off). I was ready to try anything at this point. As soon as I dipped the carb body into the clear liquid, the clear liquid started to turn brown. In a matter of a few minutes, the carb body was clean as a whistle, inside and out.

I had an additional tank, that was super clean to start with. With that and new gaskets in the carb, I put it all back together. Started right up and runs perfect. Not even a hint of smoke. I wanted to keep the original engine on this blower, so I am pleased that it well only require cosmetics.

Next, I will start taking the whole machine apart and sand blasting as many parts as I can. The bucket and the main frame are one piece, so that makes prepping it for paint a bit more of a challenge. I`ll post info and photos, as I go along with the restoration.

I do have one question at this point. What should the position of the augers be to each other ?? Should one be 1/4 turn ahead of the other, like on a 2 stage blower ?? ---- John

Last edited by Waterlooboy2hp; 07-24-2015 at 09:01 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bwdbrn1 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old 07-23-2015, 09:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
A noble endeavor to be sure, enjoy the project. I always thought they were cool.

I hear from Snow Shark owners from time to time.

Pay close attention to the traction transmission whatever it is. That seems to be the hot spot.

Pete
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks tdipaul thanked for this post
post #3 of 29 Old 07-23-2015, 10:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlooboy2hp View Post
I do have one question at this point. What should the position of the augers be to each other ?? Should one be 1/4 turn ahead of the other, like on a 2 stage blower ?? ---- John
That's a good one. I'm inclined to think that the upper auger is really meant to feed the lower. The upper seems to be leading and there's not much value in stuffing the top of the impeller housing. There is no lower wrap to let it draw snow to the back. That being said the top to bottom relationship is probably random in the conventional sense. If you want to think it out you might envision the center of the top auger to have a pulsation as the central paddles go buy and the lower may want to lag a bit so the snow falls behind the existing charge and has time to join the flow.
post #4 of 29 Old 07-24-2015, 07:27 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 269
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 912
Here's another up in your area, John.
Snowblower MOTO MOW

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #5 of 29 Old 07-24-2015, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
[QUOTE=Spectrum;653337]That's a good one. I'm inclined to think that the upper auger is really meant to feed the lower. The upper seems to be leading
=======================

In the photos, I had removed the drive chains for the augers. The augers got rotated. Forgot to note the original positions. I kind of think, that as long as long as the 2 augers are not timed in the same position to each other, the flow of snow into the impeller will remain more even. ---- John
post #6 of 29 Old 07-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
I may be on drugs but . . .

I think those are so cool and I've been trying to find one locally.
Very interested in what you run into on it.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 29 Old 07-26-2015, 09:24 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Interesting looking machine and I like the reddish brown color, although the original color may have been just a brighter red. Both my 1964 Bobcat and !970 Snow-Away have the paddle-wheel impeller. The Bobcat has 1/4" steel paddle blades but the Snow-Away has 1/2" thick rubber blades. I replaced these ruibber ones with NOS but they broke easily as they were old rubber and rotten. What does your machine have?

Last edited by AL-; 07-26-2015 at 09:29 PM.
post #8 of 29 Old 07-26-2015, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
Here's another up in your area, John.
Snowblower MOTO MOW

I like that Moto Mow

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 29 Old 07-27-2015, 09:33 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
[QUOTE=AL-;654178]Interesting looking machine and I like the reddish brown color, although the original color may have been just a brighter red.

================================

First thoughts I had, were that it was read also. I was all set to use some oil based red paint, that I Have. When I removed the chain guard, I found out differently. The back side of the chain guard, was protected from the weather and revealed the high shine original color. The color is a dark orange. Two local places, that do electronic color matching, had no luck in matching it up. Orange is a hard color to work with. Both said their equipment is not as high tec, as other places.

Both said I should go to a place that is about 12 miles away. Expect that I will make the trip, sometime this week.

This is the true color ----

My machine has the steel impeller. The angle iron blades are 1/4" thick and the center section is 3/16" thick. It weighs just under 9 pounds. I will make up an impeller kit, as there is a good bit of clearance on each side. I can gain a little on the OD as well.--- John

post #10 of 29 Old 07-29-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Well, things are moving along. I now have a Shark Pile.

===================

Not everything went smoothly. The impeller was rusted solid to the shaft. The bolts came out easy, but that`s as far as it went. I ended up cutting the shaft off, on each side of the impeller hub. With that done, the impeller blade lifted right out with the remaining piece of the 3/4" shaft, still in the hub.
I drilled an 11/16" hole, down through the piece of shaft in the hub, but not quite all the way through. That allowed the old shaft to collapse inward, when I set a punch in the hole and hit it with a hammer. --

The impeller and the now 3 parts of the shaft. ( I will go ahead and make a new shaft).

=========================

The wheels presented the same problem. Rusted solid to the 3/4" axle. I cut the axle in half. I just pulled the wheels and all, out of each side of the frame. Next, It took a 10 pound hammer, but I got the axle halves out of each wheel. I wanted to save the axle, so I took a piece of scrap round bar stock and bored a 3/4" hole through it. That gave me a 4" long tube joint, to reconnect the axle halves back together. A real close fit, with some Loc-Tite and later on some roll pins. Should still be over-kill in this case. Thought about welding it, but was afraid it might warp. I am replacing the original wheels, with these Jacobsen hubs and 2 piece split rims. (same as I did on my American Lincoln 3 stage blower).

================

Now I can go ahead and sand blasting and wire brushing all the parts. --- John

"Busy as a bumble bee, stuck in a tar bucket"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page