Craftsman 8.5 hp Briggs and stratton smoking bad - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 08-10-2015, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman 8.5 hp Briggs and stratton smoking bad

I have a Craftsman 8.5 hp B&S 2 stage. I checked the oil level many times and check the clearance on the intake and exhaust valves. The compression is about 90psi when I tested it cold.I removed the valve cover and the reed valve or oneway reed seams to work fine (when I suck air its free flowing and when I blow in it it stops) The thing is it just smokes like crazy out of the breather tube. I cleaned the carb and the float works properly. I google searched this several times and it says it has too much oil in it, Any suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-10-2015, 09:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
Sure sounds like oil ring. Need to tear down and inspect bore & valve guide (s) clearance. Set of rings will most likely fix it.

Since I'm not a big fan of briggs, don't bother, just re-power with chonda from HF. That's what they tell everyone with a Tecumseh.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #3 of 15 Old 08-11-2015, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
What's repower with a chonda (Honda )from HF mean?
post #4 of 15 Old 08-11-2015, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
I would guess it's rings too. More so if you bought it used and it didn't get the oil changed regularly. If it's not something you'd want to tackle you might find a local high school or votech with a small engine class that might do it for you on the cheap.

chonda (China/Honda)

He's speaking of buying a new Honda clone at Harbor Freight. 6.5 HP (212cc) OHV Horizontal Shaft Gas Engine EPA

NorthernTool has them too. Ironton OHV Horizontal Engine 208cc, 3/4in. (19.05mm) x 2 19/64in. (58.5mm) Shaft | Ironton Engines| Northern Tool + Equipment

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-11-2015, 09:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Is 6.5 hp enough power, from the 8.5 hp I have now? What about the electric start option? That is a good price.
post #6 of 15 Old 08-11-2015, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
New engines start very easy even in winter.
If you see some threads in the "re-power" section you'll see most people who have done the swap are very pleased with the power.
For electric start you'd need to spend more $$ and it would likely be a 12V so you'd have to mount a battery or use some kind of jumper in the garage to get it going. And when I say jumper it could be something like jumper cables or it could be a permanent connector wired to the blower and the 12 volt source with a switch.

Buy one of these at an auto parts store and cut it in half. I use them when adding lighting, hand warmers or anything needing a good water resistant connector. They also come in four and five wire. I like them because they are fairly cheap and I can get them local.

Three bucks at Oreilly: List: Search for '47965' | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Walmart, Ebay, Mouser, HomeDepot or anyplace they sell trailer towing stuff could carry them.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-11-2015, 02:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
The HF 8 hp is close to $300. Plus what it will take to adapt it, and has to be re-jetted for cold weather and carb heater box fabbed.

Seriously I would at least remove the head from the Briggs and inspect the bore. If not scored it would be worthy of rings and valve job. It's not rocket science.
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #8 of 15 Old 08-11-2015, 04:55 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 592
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
Is 6.5 hp enough power, from the 8.5 hp I have now? What about the electric start option? That is a good price.
I'd bet a loonie that the 6.5 clone would out perform the 8.5. and run smoother and quieter.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks help thanked for this post
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #9 of 15 Old 08-11-2015, 06:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 16
Likes (Received): 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcove View Post
I'd bet a loonie that the 6.5 clone would out perform the 8.5. and run smoother and quieter.

Now that's a bet I'd be willing to take. The clone engines puts out an incredible amount more torque than the older briggs and tec motors, regardless of being rated a couple horse less. Along with smoother running and much quieter.

My 420cc Predator on my 32 inch Ariens is vastly quieter than the two older Ariens models I have with the old motors.

The electric start was already mentioned, but those motors start effortlessly on the first pul

1972 Ariens 13/32 restored & repowered
1971 Ariens 7/24 (retired)
2011 Ariens Deluxe 24
1980 Ariens st7/24 (retired)
1985 Ariens st10/36
post #10 of 15 Old 08-11-2015, 07:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRider22 View Post
Now that's a bet I'd be willing to take. The clone engines puts out an incredible amount more torque than the older briggs and tec motors, regardless of being rated a couple horse less. Along with smoother running and much quieter.

My 420cc Predator on my 32 inch Ariens is vastly quieter than the two older Ariens models I have with the old motors.

The electric start was already mentioned, but those motors start effortlessly on the first pul
Nothing better than a multi baffled Honda style muffler on the Predator engines. They are so powerful an quiet you can barely hear them running if you are inside the house. I blow my driveway any time of day and do not have to worry about ticking the neighbors off. The old Tec I got rid of was very loud and poor running engine compared to the 3 Chonda HF Predator 212cc I own.
Likes 43128 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page