post #1 of 3 Old 08-22-2015, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 2
Engine spewing gas/oil

Hello,

This is not about my snow blower but my riding lawn mower. Since they both have small engines, I was thinking if someone could help me.

I have a Briggs and Stratton OHV engine made in 2005. I am strict on maintenance and has been running top notch until now.

3 years ago, I had a 2-stroke weedwacker that broke. I bought a 4-stroke weedwacker so I had no need for the 2-stroke fuel.

This year, I took the remaining 3-year-old 1/8th gallon of 2-stroke fuel and mixed it with 5 gallons of fresh fuel. I have been using this fuel for both my riding lawn mower and push lawn mower. Both mowers has been running smoothly until now. My riding lawnmower takes about 20 revolutions to start instead of 3 revolutions. On each crank, there is gasoline and possibly oil spewing out of the exhaust. When it finally starts, a big ball of white smoke comes out. When the engine is warm, the engine is smooth and has full power.

Is the small 2-stroke mixture blocking something in my engine? I mean.. it's only 1/8th of a gallon in a 5 gallon jug.

Troy-Bilt 2410 with weak Chinese-made 179cc engine. Currently high on Sta-Bil. I couldn't afford an Ariens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-22-2015, 07:53 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 359
Likes (Received): 593
Garage
jmo, but that 3 year old 1/8 gallon is probably %25 water. it doesnt sound like much water but when it ends up in the carb and sits for awhile it isnt a good thing.
post #3 of 3 Old 08-23-2015, 06:54 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
I mix up fresh 2 cycle fuel at least twice a year. What I don't use in 6 months goes into the car. Keeping it around for 3 years is quite excessive and can be the cause of your problem. I'd toss the 5 gallons in your vehicle and get fresh gas. How often do you go through 5 gallons ??
I'd drain the carb bowls or remove them and clean them out as you never know what's sitting in the bottom of them.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page