LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 09-01-2015, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Ariens 824 repairs

I was "gifted" a 1988 ish Ariens 824 model 924050, s/n 106504 Sno-Thro two months ago. I'm sorta stuck now with trying to pull the R.H. axle (roll pin out). I already changed out the L.H. axle bearing with ease. I don't think there is anything mechanically holding it on, but so far I don't want to yank on it yet. Does this shaft spline which goes into the differential held by anything else? Another dilemma for me are the stuck augers (rakes), rusted well. Mapp gas, light hammering, 2 weeks of soaking shaft grease fitting points, shaft ends, and shear bolts holes with Liquid Wrench nada. Now I've got a puller on it with tension on one side going to try heat again tomorrow. Just giving it a once over so as to have it for a nice spare (3 others too). Installed new auger housing brg, new auger housing bushings,hex shaft bearing, and so far one axle brg. trying to figure out the other one. This is my first Ariens blower and it does seem to be built well, after I finish it up I'll to the Clarance kit to top it off. Any input for this old slacker will be appreciated......Happy Labor Day......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 09-01-2015, 06:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
I just recently bought an engineless 924050 for parts and I removed the differential axle from it so that I can add to my 924040 project

The axle spline came right out of the diff once I got the roll pin out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 7 Old 09-01-2015, 07:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
The roll pin holding the differential lock is slightly wider on one side than the other. Make sure you are trying to knock it out the correct side. Sounds like that is the side you got apart already though.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 7 Old 09-01-2015, 09:04 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
If you get down to snow flying and the augers are still stuck you can try running them with no shear pins. Sometimes that breaks them loose. My 924038 has roll pins holding the augers on also, very obvious so assuming you saw it if you had 'em.
post #5 of 7 Old 09-02-2015, 07:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
Muncie,

I like your name, I had an m22 rock crusher that i retrofitted into a 55 Belair hardtop that had an old 427ci in it. Can't mistake the sound of that transmission

To your stuck rakes. If you want to remove them from the blower and can put them in a large plastic container you can try this method.

post #6 of 7 Old 09-02-2015, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
CarlB.......You brought a tear to my eye, I had a "55 Chevy 210 2 door post. L-88 (1969), panel truck straight axle, fiberglass flip nose, the rock crusher, Pontiac rear with Olds' axles , 4:88 rear, Holley 3-barrel 1050 cfm, 14 leaf springs per side rear and 7 each for the front, and ET mags as I remember. Broke it all down in 1972 for a down payment on my house. Here are a few pics, with another tear from my eye...........Now lawn tractors and OPE's keep me sane...........
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	349.2 KB
ID:	55226   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0002.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	55234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	199.6 KB
ID:	55242  
post #7 of 7 Old 09-02-2015, 05:04 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
OK ...now I figured out the axle shaft issue. The R.H. axle shaft goes through the differential AND all the way though the L.H. axle and lockout hub (pinned with a groove pin). I had changed out the L.H. axle brg. then reassenbled it, then went to the R.H. side pulling out the axle roll pin, but the lockout hub pin was the oversight by me. A fresh start this morning and new mindset did the trick. jtclays, your suggestion sounds good to me right now as the puller and heat didn't work and I really don't want to stress anything more.This Ariens was probably was the rustiest blower I have ever worked on, the bottom of the bucket supporting the scraper blade is gone. Been using Chevy engine orange to make it presentable for the snow. I would like to thank everyone for their input and support with this slow, long project. Hit 90 F today again with no snow in the immediate forecast..........thanks again.........Pete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page