Tecumseh electric starter 33329 vs 33328 what's the difference? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 01:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Question Tecumseh electric starter 33329 vs 33328 what's the difference?

Hi everybody! First-time poster here.

I just acquired a used MTD snowblower with a 10.5HP Tecumseh engine that's missing the electric starter. The engine model number is HMSK105 159908B. Now, I know the "right" starter to install is the 33329 one, but I was wondering how the 33328 differs from the 33329 and if the 33328 could be installed on my engine since I could easily get one locally (used).

Other than that, if I should buy a new starter, what are your thoughts on buying an aftermarket one vs an OEM one? The aftermarket ones are way cheaper on eBay. Are they just as good?

Anyways, should I buy an electric starter altogether? This is my first snowblower. How hard is it to pull start a 10.5HP Tecumseh engine when the temperature is below -20 C (ie below -4 F)?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 02:00 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
it think one of them is just an older version. those engines arnt to hard to pull start and usually start within a few pulls
post #3 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 02:45 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
I don't know the specific model numbers or the differences, but I've had good luck swapping tec starters just by design, mounting tabs and tooth count on the gear. Some had longer cords or different plug adapters/switches, but still worked. First, look in and make sure you have a toothed ring gear on the engine flywheel, assuming you have the recoil starter "bump" to accommodate the starter. I think they are 16 tooth gears on the starter. Some of the little hp ones have cage over the gear on the starter and won't fit on the bigger hp blocks. The bigger hp ones have just a rubber/plastic nose cone and exposed teeth. Some have "U" shaped bracket holders on the top mounts (they use shoulder bolts into the block), some have complete rings that a regular bolt will go through on the top mount. All the bottom mounts I've seen have ring holes for bolts to fit through (most are Torx #30, some are phillips with a hex head also) Because it's used, I'd make sure the ring gear on the flywheel is there, previous owner may have swapped a different recoil shroud or flywheel and the block mounting holes may not be drilled and tapped.
Or, the other problem may be the bolts were snapped off and then you need to carefully drill them out (the block is not very thick there, so go slow).
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 03:18 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
I think the 33329's body is physically larger than the 33328 (even though the mounting holes line up).

Theoretically, you could probably install a 33328 on an engine that calls for a 33329 but not the other way around as the extra length of the body hits the engine block.

I ran into this when I was trying to install an electric starter from an HM80 on an H70.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by db130; 09-10-2015 at 03:48 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks hyperfrog thanked for this post
post #5 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 03:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
That's what I thought too. It looks like the 33328 would fit in there, but might not be powerful enough for the larger engines. I guess it could fail prematurely due to the additional load. If I got one for free, I'd sure install it, but I'm not going to buy one unless someone tells me it's safe to do so.
post #6 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 04:00 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Welcome to the forum Hyperfrog

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #7 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 09:25 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Welcome
This will be my second winter owning a SB. I'm planning to try synthetic oil in mine this winter as its not supposed to get as thick in colder temperatures so this should help with starting.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
AL-, I see that you live in an area where the climate is comparable to what we have up here, although a bit milder, perhaps. Do you pull-start your snowblower or do find it necessary to use an electric starter? Is it equipped with a 10HP Tecumseh engine? Thanks.
post #9 of 13 Old 09-10-2015, 10:25 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
I had a JD826 with an 8hp Tec for 4 years, 2 were very hard winters with snow above the chute top in some spots and several times was your temps. Never used the electric start except when I sold it to show the guy it worked. I refurbed the entire thing when I got it and rebuilt the carb. Always shut the fuel off and let the engine die after use. One pull start always ........if the key was switched to the on position It was stored in an insulated, but not heated garage.
Thanks hyperfrog thanked for this post
post #10 of 13 Old 09-12-2015, 08:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
FYI - I've had a few TEC engines with electric starters or bought some to put on existing units (planning to sell at the time). The 3 major differences I've noted are 1) the starter button 2) electric cable length 3) the bottom mounting holes

1) The older units have exposed electrical connectors in some type of phenolic plastic case. Newer ones it's pure plastic and there's a shield than you have to have a proper sized electric cord to fit into

2) The length of the elec cord between the button and starter motor varies in length. Some I had to make up a mounting plate for them to fit the engine.

3) On the older ones, all 4 mounting holes are just that - holes. On the newer ones, two of the holes are slotted and you use shoulder bolts for mounting. You can screw in those 2 bolts and tighten them up, slip the starter onto them then insert the other 2 bolts.

That's the differences I know of.
Thanks Kiss4aFrog thanked for this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page