post #1 of 26 Old 09-12-2015, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 58
Talking Repower of Mtd 5/24

Picked this machine from a road side scrap heap. I wanted to take it home and see if It was good enough to fix.

Tires wouldn't hold air but were not all weather checked either so a pair of tubes fixed that so I could roll it around.

Took the belts off from the engine pulley and tested the impeller and auger for slop striped gears and all seem fine.

Parts were missing from the engine, carb was the big part and the shroud. Called a friend who makes his living doing small engine repair amoung other handy man jobs and he didn't have any of the idems needed to put the engine back together (has good comprestion.) He also didn't have a small horzontal engine I could buy from him that would work, Only a 20 wisconsin, figured that would be over kill.
So searching around for a 5 to 7 HP engine I discovered a bunch of big buck Kohler and Briggs engines that would do the job but double the money and I could have a brand new bigger machine. Came across a post some time back for a HF preadetor engine 6.5HP on a snow blower. I figure this machine is worth the 100.00 engine (with coupon) but have questions.

(1. I don't see a throddle control the engine nor one on the blower body either, Will I have to made up a throddle?

(2. Our old Simplicity landlord tractor has a houseing that covers the carb and if it is off while blowing snow the carb will freeze up.
Will the HF engine need a heat cover to keep that from happening?

(3. If any one has done this swap on a MTD, is the shaft at the same level or will new longer belts be required and will the belt cover still fit?
I assume I will want the belts covered to keep some snow off them?

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 09-12-2015 at 11:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 09-12-2015, 12:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
If the old engine is a single shaft engine, the predator swap should be straight forward.
If the old engine is a dual shaft (with a camshaft PTO), the swap will not be simple at all.
You may want to browse thru this threads

Re-Powering - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

Also there are a few youtube videos on it.

Throtle lever and choke levers are built into the carburetor/linkage on the predator.
It is better to install some covers to keep linkage and governor from freezing.
post #3 of 26 Old 09-12-2015, 12:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
1) The Predator engines have a throttle right on the engine. They also have screw down clamps for remote cables, although they aren't really needed for a blower.

2) Some people make heater boxes and some don't. Most don't need them, but every once in a while someone says something froze up. I think you need the perfect conditions for it to happen.

3) That can only really be known if you take the belt cover off of yours and measure what you have there. You can download the manual from the Harbor Freight web site and it has drawings in the back with all the measurements you will need to compare to your current engine.

3+) The most important thing will be making sure the current engine has only the crankshaft sticking out. Some smaller machines and a lot of MTD blowers used dual shaft engines where the crankshaft drove the blower and the camshaft drove the drive system. If not, you end up with 4 reverse gears and 1 forward gear and the speed is off for all of them.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 26 Old 09-12-2015, 01:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shryp View Post
The most important thing will be making sure the current engine has only the crankshaft sticking out. Some smaller machines and a lot of MTD blowers used dual shaft engines where the crankshaft drove the blower and the camshaft drove the drive system. If not, you end up with 4 reverse gears and 1 forward gear and the speed is off for all of them.
About twice as fast to be exact.

On some models there is a lever on the back of the "transmission" housing that can be flipped, reversing the 4 reverse one forward into regular 4 forward and one reverse, but you will still have the double speed, one option to solve it will be to use different size pulleys.
post #5 of 26 Old 09-12-2015, 08:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 67
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post
About twice as fast to be exact.

On some models there is a lever on the back of the "transmission" housing that can be flipped, reversing the 4 reverse one forward into regular 4 forward and one reverse, but you will still have the double speed, one option to solve it will be to use different size pulleys.
Since it is an MTD there is a good chance that it can be easily coverted to a single shaft engine. I did it with my MTD and it works really well. I would get rid of those turf tires and get some snow hogs. Here is a link to what I did when I repowered my MTD
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...td-5-22-a.html
post #6 of 26 Old 09-12-2015, 09:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Maybe consider buying a new carb for the original Tecumseh ....Carbs for that are real cheap, brand new, on Ebay...Sure would get ya started...if problem with the eng...then consider replacing it...IMO
post #7 of 26 Old 09-12-2015, 10:51 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
that frames worth a new engine, i dont think mtd was using the reverse cam engine back them, pull the belt cover off and take a pic for us. looking threw the belt cover in that pic i dont see the reverse cam so you should be good to go
post #8 of 26 Old 09-13-2015, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Talking

Thank you Shyrp for answering my 3 questions.

Now why would I want to spend any kind of money for a carb when there is shroud missing from the engine I have already checked into getting?

It is a single shaft engine, had a double pulley set up for the two belts.

Al
post #9 of 26 Old 09-13-2015, 08:13 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 50
Sounds like a trip to harbor freight in your future! Maybe make sure there's oil in the auger gearbox, looks stained. I'd also flip it over and make sure nothing else is badly worn or broken. Otherwise go for it. If it craps out, the blower, not engine, keep the engine for the next scrap blower you find. Let us know.
Rob
post #10 of 26 Old 09-13-2015, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Talking

I don't have a problem with spending the reasonable money for a new engine for the sno blower. I also have a troy built horse tiller waiting for a new engine, a troy built chipper too waiting and possibly for my log splitter if I can't get the old brigs on it to run. So if the sno blower fails then I have a place for it.
Nope did not find all that stuff in a road side pile. Bought some as it with out engines or with wornen out engines.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page