LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 09-14-2015, 11:41 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 34
Thanks (Received): 5
Likes (Given): 58
Likes (Received): 31
Grinding exhaust valve stem

I'm slowly getting what I need to finally take care of the alleged exhaust valve issue on my HMSK-80. I still haven't even pulled the valve cover to check clearance but hopefully will have time by October.

The question I have is I recall someone on the forum setting up a jig made out of wood to hold the valve and then he used a drill press to grind some off of the stem.

What bit would you use for this? I'm thinking something like McMaster-Carr 4919A531 or 4919A561
http://www.mcmaster.com/

I've got a decent drill press (1930s Canedy-Otto 16") and a sliding vise is finally coming for it today so I'll actually be able to use it.

I know some guys just go over it with a file but I like the idea of using the drill press.

If the clearance is fine when I check it, my alternate plan is to put a Honda GX-200 I have on the Ariens. I'm hoping it won't come to that though.

1999 Ariens 924108 824SLE.

1933 GE Monitor Top refrigerator restoration video

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ChrisJ; 09-14-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 09-15-2015, 12:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 41
Thanks (Received): 51
Likes (Given): 135
Likes (Received): 116
Chris: I'm just a beginner, but will pass on what I did. I ground a valve earlier this year, worked pretty good. For the jig, I clamped 2 6" lengths of 1x2 together, and drilled a whole between them, slightly smaller than the valve stem. I then "clamped the valve in between the 2 pieces of wood with some screws. I was able to use the edges of the 1x2s to rest against the miter gauge on a disc sander table, and gently brought the valve stem end to the sander. It worked really well, the new ground edge was square to the stem length. (though I must admit, I'm not sure if the ground edge is supposed to have any taper to it). I just went real slow, made sure the stem never heated up too much, ground a little, install and measure, ground some more, etc.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page