LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 10-20-2015, 08:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Adding a throttle to a Briggs engine

I have a Craftsman unit, with a B&S 20m114-0937-E1 , 1350 series engine. I want to add a throttle control to the unit.

The reason is not to blow snow at lower speed, but to let the unit run at a slow speed during warm up, and after blowing, while the snow is melting off the engine a bit, but to be a bit quieter about it.

Is this possible since this engine has a governor on it, which lives in the same space as the throttle control would go. I do not want to sacrifice the governor since it has worked well so far, just want to be able to have a quieter and less engine stress start up and shut down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 10-20-2015, 08:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 42
Hi Scutflut,
What you are contemplating is not really practical for your engine's design. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #3 of 19 Old 10-20-2015, 10:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
This is what I roughly envision to convert a full speed only to adding a second setting of idle which is not to be used for operating the snow blower but for warm up and a cool down period to clean the blower of snow.
I am open to suggestions if this is feasible as envisioned.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Idle.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	59585  

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #4 of 19 Old 10-21-2015, 04:37 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 45
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 349
Likes (Received): 161
I looked into this once. Chances are the parts you need will be found used on ebay sooner or later. Get to be friends with a small engine guy near you. B&S adds and subtracts throttle, on off switch, etc on their engines based on end user needs so if you can obtain the correct parts you are golden.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024
post #5 of 19 Old 10-21-2015, 07:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zavie View Post
I looked into this once. Chances are the parts you need will be found used on ebay sooner or later. Get to be friends with a small engine guy near you. B&S adds and subtracts throttle, on off switch, etc on their engines based on end user needs so if you can obtain the correct parts you are golden.

After looking through various parts sites, it appears that B&S has a throttle assembly that fits this basic version of the engine. I have not been able to find any detail drawings or a parts listing showing how it would connect to the carb, which now has control rods to the governor, and the governor bracket assembly with the multi hole pattern to adjust spring tension.

Do all the B&S engines of this design have governors or is it either governor, or throttle, not both? I have run across a similar engine that does have throttle control, but the owner wouldn't let me take the gas tank off to take pictures.
post #6 of 19 Old 10-22-2015, 08:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 260
Every lawnmower and snowblower engine I've ever seen has a governor. "Governor" being loosely defined as a spring that pulls the throttle plate in the carb open, and some engine-speed-dependent mechanism that creates a force that tends to closes the throttle plate. The balance between the spring force and the force from that mechanism determines the engine's speed.

Engines with no user-adjustable "throttle" simply have the spring attached to a fixed point so its force is a constant pre-set value. Engines with a throttle have some sort of adjustment mechanism so the spring force can be varied. Setting the throttle to "high" or "fast" increases the spring tension so the governor has to provide more force to close the throttle plate, and thus the engine runs faster. When you set the throttle to "low" or "slow" the spring tension is reduced and the engine runs slower.

Which is a very wordy way of saying that if you can find a setup that attaches to your engine, but provides a way of adjusting the force of the governor spring, you should be in good shape.

As a side note, I think starting an engine at wide-open throttle and having it go to full speed the moment it catches, is a great way to let your engine know that you hate it and want it to fail. Adding an adjustable throttle so that it can run at a low speed upon startup is IMHO very valuable.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks skutflut thanked for this post
Likes Grunt, skutflut liked this post
post #7 of 19 Old 10-22-2015, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
As a side note, I think starting an engine at wide-open throttle and having it go to full speed the moment it catches, is a great way to let your engine know that you hate it and want it to fail. Adding an adjustable throttle so that it can run at a low speed upon startup is IMHO very valuable.[/QUOTE]

I tend to agree with you on the fast start on a cold engine. In my years of using a snowblower, I have noticed that without fail, on the days I need this machine, it's always COLD and sometimes, REALLLLLY cold.

This one probably has less than 100 hours on it, but it is the seventh winter, and I think it deserves to be woken up gently and have a few minutes to get used to being awake, just like I need in ANY weather.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #8 of 19 Old 10-22-2015, 01:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
I'm wondering if the non throttle carbs have idle jets and a way to adjust idle speed.

Might have to change the carb too.
post #9 of 19 Old 10-22-2015, 01:20 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 260
That's a good point! Although even at 3600 RPM, under no load the engine is typically operating with the throttle plate pretty close to the idle position.

I'd think in the worst case you could get a lower governed RPM and improve things a bit.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
post #10 of 19 Old 10-22-2015, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrappy View Post
I'm wondering if the non throttle carbs have idle jets and a way to adjust idle speed.

Might have to change the carb too.
According to Repairclinic.com, the part number for the carb for my engine, 20m114-0937-e1 and a 20m114-1358-e2 engine (which has a throttle control) is the same. I'm guessing it should have an idle jet, just not being used much. Also, the Briggs general repair manual identifies one type of carb for all the 200000 series engines.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in