LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 Old 10-23-2015, 09:35 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 12
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
auger won't turn

I have a green 9HP Murray snowblower. It starts and runs fine but mice got in it so there are paper shreds under the auger belts and the auger does not turn.

First I need to verify that the auger should not turn manually.

And that it's normal that I can turn the impeller manually.

I took the belt shroud off and it looks like the belts are fine and the tension seems good. Can anyone explain why there are two belts? Is it one for the impeller and one for the auger?

Thanks in advance for any help for this noob.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 Old 10-23-2015, 10:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacky View Post
I have a green 9HP Murray snowblower. It starts and runs fine but mice got in it so there are paper shreds under the auger belts and the auger does not turn.
First I need to verify that the auger should not turn manually.
And that it's normal that I can turn the impeller manually.
I took the belt shroud off and it looks like the belts are fine and the tension seems good. Can anyone explain why there are two belts? Is it one for the impeller and one for the auger?
Welcome to the forum, you should be able to turn the auger by just turning the impeller only. You will see it takes many impeller turns to turn the auger. The reason there are 2 belts for the impeller and auger is to prevent your belts from slipping.

Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks blacky thanked for this post
post #3 of 36 Old 10-24-2015, 04:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
There is one belt for the drive wheels and then another belt for the impeller. Some machines use 2 belts for the impeller and a third for the drive wheels.

The augers are connected to the impeller through a worm gear setup on most machines. This means that the impeller can turn the augers, but the augers can't turn unless the impeller is moving.

In essence the end of the impeller shaft is a giant screw. As that screw turns it pulls back on the augers and that causes them to spin.

If the impeller isn't working then there is something wrong with the belt system. The mice probably chewed the belt or the control cable that controls the clutch. It could also be that there is so much nest material in there that the clutch is jammed and not tightening the belt properly. It could have also knocked the belt off the pulley.

That all assumes that the impeller isn't turning. If the impeller is turning, but the augers are not you have other issues. Either the shear pins are broken and now the auger shaft is spinning inside of the augers, or the front gearcase is broken and then you have bigger issues.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #4 of 36 Old 10-24-2015, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Welcome to SBF. Glad to have you join us. Looks like you should make a check list based on what Normex and Shryp have said and go down that list to find the source of your problem. Good luck, and let us know what you find. Darn mice! Just be glad they haven't crawled into your car's vent system like they have on my wife's car.

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #5 of 36 Old 10-24-2015, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
First, thanks for all the prompt replies. You guys are awsum.

So, turning the impeller by hand and the auger moves...

I think the issue is that there is a belt tensioner that's not working. I have chain drive for the motion wheels. And I have 2 belts. The belts seem in decent shape and the set of belt wheels farthest from the auger seems to spin. But when I hold the handle down to get the auger to spin the belt tensioner doesn't move so the belt closest to the auger doesn't spin seemingly because it's too loose cause the belt tensioner doesn't move...
post #6 of 36 Old 10-24-2015, 03:41 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Sounds like the cable between the handle and the belt tensioner broke or was chewed through. Usually they are mounted with a spring though, so maybe the tension pulley is jammed and pushing the handle down is just stretching the spring.

post #7 of 36 Old 10-24-2015, 03:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes, I looked at the cable and made it very tight but no change.

And I can move the idler arm and pulley manually...

Last edited by blacky; 10-24-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: additional info
post #8 of 36 Old 10-24-2015, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
update

So, I verified that the auger cable is attached to the idler pulley and if I manipulate the cable at that end the pulley moves a bit. And I set the blower on it's face and removed a bottom cover and could not see where the cable was broken.

The cable going from the handle lever to the bottom back of the blower connects to an adjusting bolt to a spring to a metal eye. Should I be able to see this eye move when I depress the handle? Should I be able to pull this eye with a pliers?

Can someone verify that at this point I should replace the cable? I mean, can these cables break inside their plastic sheath?

Last edited by blacky; 10-24-2015 at 06:30 PM. Reason: more info
post #9 of 36 Old 10-24-2015, 06:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
They can break, but if the cable was broken you would know it. One end would most likely fall out. You could unhook one end and see if you can push it back and forth.

post #10 of 36 Old 10-24-2015, 07:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
If I unhook it from the handle I'm not sure what I'd learn. The cable from the handle to the metal eyelet is like 3 feet long. And I can just unscrew it and detach the cable. I mean it's not one continuous cable from the handle to the idler pulley bracket.

There is tension when I squeeze the handle but all I see happening is the spring expanding prior to the metal eyelet. I don't see the eyelet move or the other end of the cable move...I mean, I would think the metal eyelet, which must be connected to the rest of the cable, would and should move. It must move with less pressure than what the spring takes to stretch. So why doesn't it move. Can they seize or rust in place?

Last edited by blacky; 10-24-2015 at 07:27 PM. Reason: more info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page