LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-06-2015, 05:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
how do i check oil in new snow blower

I know this sounds like a foolish question however the oil is so clear that when I try to check it i'm unable to get a correct reading i've tried in several ways with no luck , do you have any suggestions , I live on the east coast(Boston) and it's only a matter of time before we get hit with snow, i'm also curious when they shipped it over and I had it assembled did they put the minimum amount of oil or the correct amount , any help you can give me i'd really appreciate it, thank you very much !

Last edited by 9one1; 11-06-2015 at 05:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-06-2015, 05:50 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Welcome to SBF. You want to make sure you have the correct amount of oil in there for sure. Oil is very clear when its new, but darkens up quickly after use. The surest way I can tell you to be certain is to get out the owner's manual, read it cover to cover, then concentrate on the maintenance section. There you'll find the recommended type of oil and quantity needed to properly fill your snowblower. If you want to be absolutely positive, with no doubt what so ever, drain it, measure what came out and compare it with what the owner's manual says is required. Not only will you be absolutely sure it's filled properly, you'll have the satisfaction of having done it yourself. Also, after reading the owner's manual, you'll get tips about how to properly use and maintain the machine. Whether you do the maintenance yourself, or have it done by a shop, you'll know what needs to be done and when. This will also give you pointers of what to check to make sure your new snowblower has been assembled and set up correctly.

How about sharing the brand and model. When you say you had it shipped and assembled, did you buy it locally there on the east coast?

I'm pretty much retired from the forum thing, but I check in every now and then.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-06-2015, 05:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 30
You should be able to stick it, hold the stick up to the light and see that the oil is more shiny than the stick. It will also make the stick ever so slighty wider in appearance. Maybe you're at the age where you need cheater glasses from Christmas Tree Shops and don't know it, yet. Happens to the best of us. If this doesn't work, take the stick and lay it carefully on a clean paper towel, and see where the oil transfers to the towel and where it doesn't.
post #4 of 23 Old 11-06-2015, 08:56 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9one1 View Post
I know this sounds like a foolish question however the oil is so clear that when I try to check it i'm unable to get a correct reading i've tried in several ways with no luck , do you have any suggestions , I live on the east coast(Boston) and it's only a matter of time before we get hit with snow, i'm also curious when they shipped it over and I had it assembled did they put the minimum amount of oil or the correct amount , any help you can give me i'd really appreciate it, thank you very much !
You might want to take the stick, and rub it down a bit with 600 sand paper just enough to take the gloss/shine off the plastic, producing a matte finish. That way, the shine from the oil is easier to see. Don't sand so much that you remove any lines or lettering, and clean it off well before sticking it back in the engine.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-06-2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 1
The snow blower is a troy bilt and I bought it online on the lowes web site , i'm very particular with my power equipment etc so I want to do this right, as far as draining it and putting the oil back in i'm not going to do that as i'm apprehensive i'll cause a problem , I wish there was an easier way, clearly there's not , thank you for trying to help me out i'm truly grateful to you guys !

* Maybe this will help- *bwdbrn1* - Model #: 31AH55R5711

Last edited by 9one1; 11-06-2015 at 01:21 PM.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-06-2015, 01:32 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 94
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 219
Likes (Received): 134
No need to apologize, 911. I had the same experience with a couple new Ariens I got a while back. The dipsticks were virtually impossible to read when the oil was new.
post #7 of 23 Old 11-06-2015, 02:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Quote:
The snow blower is a troy bilt and I bought it online on the lowes web site , i'm very particular with my power equipment etc so I want to do this right, as far as draining it and putting the oil back in i'm not going to do that as i'm apprehensive i'll cause a problem , I wish there was an easier way, clearly there's not , thank you for trying to help me out i'm truly grateful to you guys !

what brand of engine is it???? if it is a new briggs the norm is 28oz. ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #8 of 23 Old 11-06-2015, 03:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 48
Thanks (Received): 56
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 190
Garage

I am in the Boston area as well and bought a Troy-Bilt 2410 last year. First off, are you sure there is oil in it ???? the ones that the store builds up *should* have oil in them, but maybe the ones drop-sipped may not.

Even the newest oil should be noticeable on the dip stick. However, if it is that difficult, then I would fully dry the dip stick with a paper towel. then check the oil and lay a small piece of paper towel on the dip stick where the markings are and the oil should be. then presence of oil should be evident on the towel.
post #9 of 23 Old 11-06-2015, 03:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 33
Thanks (Received): 14
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 19
I'm wondering if because you can't see it perhaps its because its too low. Perhaps they didn't put enough oil in to even register on the dipstick. You might want to have someone else have a look at. If all else fails drain the oil then refill it with the correct amount and type as recommended in your owners manual.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-06-2015, 05:06 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 30
Quote:

Did you try the paper towel trick I wrote about, above? I work on boats and change the oil a lot. I run into your problem from time to time, and the paper towel thing DOES work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page