post #1 of 10 Old 11-12-2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Can't get it to run right

Hi all-

I have an 8 HP tecumseh in a snow king. Couldn't get it to run off choke, so I figured the previous owner let the carb gum up. I replaced the carb and cleaned (as best I could) the spark plug.

It will run off choke now, but it never gets to a sweet spot. It will surge up and down and pop (lean). SO I give it more gas little by little, reallllly slowly and wait for idle to improve (by adjusting the jet on the bottom of the bowl). As soon as it get smooth, it dies and I can feel gas spitting on my hand (way too rich). Seems there's no sweet spot.

Idle is ok, and I have the idle mixture about 1 and 1/4 turn out. Seems to like it there and idles good.

Bring the thottle up and it complains, coughs out black smoke and runs crappy again, so I lean it out, rinse and repeat.

Any ideas?

Thanks all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-12-2015, 05:42 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 239
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 2855
Likes (Received): 527
killerfomula.
Your problem may be the adjustment procedure your using. With the motor at idle, you adjust the low speed screw on the "side" of the carb until it idles smoothly and responds to the throttle being moved to fast.. The high speed screw is in the bottom of the carb and is adjusted at full throttle until the engine runs at peak performance.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro 421-E (38585) 2008 (New Owner)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Normex liked this post
post #3 of 10 Old 11-12-2015, 06:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
Brother GRUNT is the man to seek the answers for those engines. anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 10 Old 11-12-2015, 07:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
killerfomula.
Your problem may be the adjustment procedure your using. With the motor at idle, you adjust the low speed screw on the "side" of the carb until it idles smoothly and responds to the throttle being moved to fast.. The high speed screw is in the bottom of the carb and is adjusted at full throttle until the engine runs at peak performance.
Thanks grunt.

I have gotten the idle mixture screw and idle speed pretty sweet, I think. It's the jet screw I'm having issues with. When I move off idle it grunts and belches and groans its way up to full throttle with smoke and flames and popping. ANy less idle mixture and it dies. Done it several times, and the motor is nice and warm. Just can't get it to run well at full throttle.
post #5 of 10 Old 11-12-2015, 07:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 80
Likes (Given): 352
Likes (Received): 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by killerfomula View Post
Hi all-

Any ideas?

Thanks all
Yes. I would also advise you to check out your governor spring and governor setting. I found, at least on mine I needed to replace the spring and adjust the governor setting. I would second Brother Powershift93 in following Brother Grunt's advise on the carb adjusting. Oh, I almost forgot, that these are tiny carbs and even slight adjustments can lead to big changes in performance. I had to relearn the way I was thinking because I was so use to tuning automotive carbs.

2016 Ariens Professional 28
2017 Toro Power Clear 721R
2018 Simplicity Select 1024

Last edited by Zavie; 11-12-2015 at 07:37 PM.
post #6 of 10 Old 11-12-2015, 10:45 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 239
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 2855
Likes (Received): 527
You said you cleaned the spark plug the best you could. I would get a new plug and see what happens.

Are you using fresh gas recently purchased?

Did you use a new gasket between the carb and intake manifold?

Surging can be caused by a governor problem, but it is usually a caused by a restriction in the carb passages or jets. A new carb doesn't necessarily mean a good or clean carb. Another possibility, since the engine seems to be "coughing", have you ever checked your valve clearances? Older Tecumseh engines are notorious for needing the valves adjusted to get a good running motor.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro 421-E (38585) 2008 (New Owner)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #7 of 10 Old 11-14-2015, 06:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 30
Yeah, I was thinking about valve clearances, too, especially since you mentioned "flames." Let's hope not though, as that is easy to check but a lot harder to actually fix.....

How old is the 8 hp? Does it have breaker points or a module/coil mounted outside the flywheel? If it has points (ignition mounted under the flywheel) the rubbing block on the points could be worn and you might be barely getting any point opening. This has the effect of retarding the ignition timing. I just went through this on one of my old H60s.

Does it have low oil shut down? If so, you might try disconnecting that wire as an easy check. That was a running issue once, on my 8 Tec generator engine.....
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat, Grunt liked this post
post #8 of 10 Old 11-14-2015, 08:57 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Welcome killler!

+1 on the idle circuit & possible valve condition.

Alot of folks don't realize that even at the "fast" position, most of the fuel is still being supplied by the idle circuit...throttle butterfly should be barely open.

At "fast" speed, the governor is engaged...so if the idle circuit is restricted (blocked vent, fuel passages, etc.), the engine senses a slow cam shaft (thinks it's under load), opens the throttle butterfly creating a rich condition...dumps a bunch of fuel in the chamber that it doesn't need, revs-up and the extra fuel pops-off in your hot muffler/exhaust. You'll often notice alot of those no-load problems vanish when there is a real load...the idle circuit is being bypassed.

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Likes Grunt liked this post
post #9 of 10 Old 11-14-2015, 05:51 PM
Sid

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 10
Thanks (Received): 23
Likes (Given): 28
Likes (Received): 33
Take the carb bowl off. and look at the brass bolt that holds the bowl on, it has a lot of threads, and there, are two holes on the side, through the threads, they must be clear. If not, clear them with a wire from a wire brush, or the wire from a twist tie. Good luck.
Sid
post #10 of 10 Old 11-14-2015, 10:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
also make sure the bowl is positioned right and the needle is still attached to the float and goes in the hole good, and that there is a white little o-ring/gasket at the bottom of that hole that the needle goes in. If you have a bowl where half of the bottom of it is raised up a little higher than the rest of the bowl, make sure that the raised up part is aligned so that it faces the hinge of the float. You want the float to be able to move up and down freely and not hit any part of the raised up portion of the bowl. I worked on a blower where the carb float bowl had been put on incorrectly and it acted a lot like you are describing. Snap some photos of the carb too if you can. The more the better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page