LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-19-2015, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 1
Help with 4 way chute control....

I have the 4 way chute control that sppears to be a design flaw right from the start. Its on the '06 Craftsman (MTD)#247.88790 9hp Tec 28"

Pull trigger on and push forward deflector throws snow low, pull and deflector throws snow high.

Grab handle and shift to left chute rotates and throws snow left, Shift to right and chute rotates and throws snow right.

These are controlled by cable. I am trying to manuver the chute easier!
In the increasingly cold weather the chute gets harder to rotate. I have used white lithium grease where the chute tube and the mount connect together, I have also tried to oil the cables. When I remove the the drive mechanism from the chute the controls rotated by the cables move freely. As soon as I connect it back, The chute is very difficult to rotate. I am wondering if the mounting surfaces are not mating properly. Anyone have any experience with this ill designed chute? TIA

Marc Fish
Capital District area, NY USA

'06 Craftsman (MTD)#247.88790 9hp Tec 28"
2 stage Engine #LA318SA-156554
'95 Craftsman II (???)#536.886360 10hp Tec 30"
2 stage TracPlus (reclaimed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 11-19-2015, 07:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
I'd still suspect the drive mechanism or control mechanism. Check to make sure that there is no binding or slop in either the control stick, or the control surface axles.

I have a two way controlled MTD with a similar mechanism, and if my memory serves me correctly, it has plastic axles.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #3 of 5 Old 11-23-2015, 12:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opfoto View Post
I have the 4 way chute control that sppears to be a design flaw right from the start. Its on the '06 Craftsman (MTD)#247.88790 9hp Tec 28"

Pull trigger on and push forward deflector throws snow low, pull and deflector throws snow high.

Grab handle and shift to left chute rotates and throws snow left, Shift to right and chute rotates and throws snow right.

These are controlled by cable. I am trying to manuver the chute easier!
In the increasingly cold weather the chute gets harder to rotate. I have used white lithium grease where the chute tube and the mount connect together, I have also tried to oil the cables. When I remove the the drive mechanism from the chute the controls rotated by the cables move freely. As soon as I connect it back, The chute is very difficult to rotate. I am wondering if the mounting surfaces are not mating properly. Anyone have any experience with this ill designed chute? TIA

Try removing the lithium grease. Maybe it stiffens the colder it gets. Does the chute drag if you manually rotate it with the cables disconnected? Any visible rough spots on either the base of the chute or top of the discharge tube? There probably needs to be some slop in the mating surfaces so things don't bind from too snug a fit.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Opfoto thanked for this post
Likes Opfoto liked this post
post #4 of 5 Old 11-23-2015, 08:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 98
Likes (Given): 18
Likes (Received): 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Try removing the lithium grease.
I agree... chute controls like yours don't provide much leverage, and the "drag" from the grease could be causing the problem.

Instead of grease, you might try oil where the chute meets the housing? I'd suggest something like 80W-90 oil for manual transmissions, or possibly 10W-40 motor oil. I'd stay away from thinner oils, as they might not stay put.

~1994 Ariens 924084 (ST1032) "papa bear": restored, re-engined, real nice!
1991 Ariens 924050 (ST824) "mama bear"
Toro PowerCurve 1800 "baby bear"

Be alert! America needs more lerts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Opfoto thanked for this post
Likes Opfoto liked this post
post #5 of 5 Old 11-23-2015, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 11
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Try removing the lithium grease. Maybe it stiffens the colder it gets. Does the chute drag if you manually rotate it with the cables disconnected? Any visible rough spots on either the base of the chute or top of the discharge tube? There probably needs to be some slop in the mating surfaces so things don't bind from too snug a fit.
So I tried to remove the white lithium grease with greased lightning, was able to get some off. Then I tried to move the chute without the cables attached. It seemed a bit tougher without the grease. I then used some gear oil that I think is 80-90 weight. I applied it on the on the "rim" of the chute mount, then smeared some on the tube where it mates to the mount. It seemed to rotate better by hand. I also noted that the cables seem to have excessive slack in them. I saw them peeking out when I made the connection and tried the joystick control. I was too cold to try to tighten them. That may be a contributing factor as well. I wil fireup the kerosene heater and warmup the shed and try to tighten the cables, hopefully we are on the right track.

Marc Fish
Capital District area, NY USA

'06 Craftsman (MTD)#247.88790 9hp Tec 28"
2 stage Engine #LA318SA-156554
'95 Craftsman II (???)#536.886360 10hp Tec 30"
2 stage TracPlus (reclaimed)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page