LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-23-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 8
Likes (Received): 18
Craftsman Chute Repair

I have a Craftsman 88999. The chute when I rotate it all the way to the right will not lock in place. As a result I can not throw snow a full 180 degrees. I have to hold the chute in place as I walk with the machine.

Can any point me in the right direction on how to fix this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 06:19 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Hmmm.... not realy understanding the setup. Is there a crank that turns it, or another means? Do you have a picture maybe of the setup, or maybe a full model number?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #3 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 06:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Yes, if you'd post a picture of the chute we may be able to help you. I can't picture the problem in my mind so it's hard to solve the problem. Thanks

Wayne

post #4 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
From what I've seen when I googled that model number, the 88999 is a very highly rated machine. If I understand the parts diagram, the chute rotation and elevation is controlled by a single joy stick, but it's not clear to me what makes the connection between the stick and chute. If it's all cable, then perhaps there is an adjuster link at the end of the cables,sort of like those on motorcycle cables, that isn't quite where it needs to be.

Wish I could be of more help than that.
post #5 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 06:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like

Here's a picture. As you can see the chute is controlled by a joy stick attached to several cables that either rotate the chute left/right or up/down.

When I move the chute to the left, the red button on top of the joy stick pops out indicating that the chute is locked into position. I went out today and noticed that if I FORCE the chute all of the way to the right, the button will pop out and the chute does lock into place, however, a lot of effort is needed to accomplish this compared to moving the chute all the way to the left.

Why does this happen? I didn't even notice that I could lock it in place when moved all the way to the right until today, that's how much force is needed.
post #6 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Given what you've described, I'd guess that the cables that control the left right motion are some how out of proper adjustment. The Sears parts diagram didn't show the cables, but I think I'd look under the piece that covers the pivot point at the top of the chute to see what there is under there, or under the "dash board" where the bottom of the joy stick is. Those cables have to begin and end somewhere, and something sounds like it's just a bit out of alignment, or adjustment since it does lock, even though with some force.

Sears Parts Direct has a chat, and email option. It's in the upper right hand corner of the screen marked Get Help. They might be able to tell you how to correct the problem, if it isn't covered in the owner's manual.

Worth a try, especially if there's any warranty left on it.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...rcialUI=false#
post #7 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
You bring up a good point. I think it came with a 2 year warranty. I think I'll call Sears and find out if I can have it serviced before the snow comes. It certainly clears the snow with ease, so I like the unit itself. However, if I can get a tech. to come out to the house to fix whatever is wrong with it, that would be awesome.
post #8 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 09:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Yes, if the unit is still under warranty your probably wise to take advantage of it. Hopefully the tech will be able to help you get it fixed.

Wayne

post #9 of 23 Old 11-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smolenski7 View Post
that would be awesome.
Sure would! Still, an online chat fix, or one via email, their claim being a response in 24 hours, would be pretty trick too.

Keep us posted, we all like to hear success stories.
post #10 of 23 Old 11-25-2010, 05:46 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Received): 1
DEFENTLY seems that a cable is out of adjustment. Does it list any needed adjustments in the manual? I know my old MTD showed how to adjust them.

|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page