LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 11-22-2015, 10:25 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Tecumseh 10 hp Carburetor problems.

Well with the first snowstorm of the season here, I got to try out my snowblower for the first time under working conditions. Well I'm having trouble with it running rough and also at times the idle just takes off running high? And it also seems to run better with the choke off? I still managed to clear the driveway, but not without a lot of swearing!! I bought this used unit about 3 months ago and have already rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the fuel lines...and done some other work like starter and stuff. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 11-22-2015, 11:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard mech. View Post
Well with the first snowstorm of the season here, I got to try out my snowblower for the first time under working conditions. Well I'm having trouble with it running rough and also at times the idle just takes off running high? And it also seems to run better with the choke off? I still managed to clear the driveway, but not without a lot of swearing!! I bought this used unit about 3 months ago and have already rebuilt the carburetor, replaced the fuel lines...and done some other work like starter and stuff. Any ideas?
Choke should be off when the engine is hot.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #3 of 9 Old 11-23-2015, 02:51 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Ok, but this happened even right at starting it up cold. I couldn't have the choke on at all, guess that's good that it will start up cold with no choke. But it's still running very rough, and idle is all over the place...
post #4 of 9 Old 11-23-2015, 06:00 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 139
Likes (Given): 14
Likes (Received): 326
To me it sounds like one of about 3 possible issues. One is the carb isn't adjusted right, the governor is sticking or the linkage isn't right.

Here's what the linkage looks like on one I rebuild:

Make sure the governor arm on the front of the block is free to move. Another is if it's one of the non-adjustable jet carbs, hate those. I replace those with an Oregon unit with adjustable jets.

Good luck.
post #5 of 9 Old 11-23-2015, 12:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by backyard mech. View Post
Ok, but this happened even right at starting it up cold. I couldn't have the choke on at all, guess that's good that it will start up cold with no choke. But it's still running very rough, and idle is all over the place...
I think there is some confusion about this choke on/off definition. Small engines rarely start cold without the choke being on. They start up somewhat ratty and smoky, and after a few seconds, you start moving the choke to off one click at a time until it is warm enough to run smoothly with the choke all the way OFF.

If the butterfly valve is blocking the air intake of the carb, then the choke is ON, when it's turned sidesway, so you just see the edge of the butterfly valve, then the choke is off and not blocking aiflow thru the carb.

Any carb adjustments need to be done with the engine warm and the choke fully OFF.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #6 of 9 Old 11-23-2015, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Is this Tec old enough it has an adjustment screw in the bottom of the bowl ??

It sounds like the carb is adjusted too rich presently.

Donyboy73 shows adjusting near the end of the video.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 9 Old 11-23-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yes this is the older carb style with the adjusting screw at the bottom of the bowl. As for the choke I'm sure i got the on/off switch right, but thats not my biggest problem. Its the idle running off on its own, and the sputtering. I just cant get it to run smooth, I also cant get the low and high idle balanced...im noticing to the high/low leaver dosent seem to adjust properly either. Im starting to think maybe theres something up with the linkage? It was all in very rough condition when i bought this unit.
I never had a chance tonight to work on it as i was wiring in a new garage heater. Hope to work on it again tommorow.
post #8 of 9 Old 11-24-2015, 05:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 30
Go to this link:

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/ma...headmanual.pdf

First, go to page 32, figure 27 and make sure your linkage is hooked up right and is all there. Then, go to page 27 and read how to determine if surging is because of the governor or something else. Also on this page is how to adjust the basic, not-running, adjustment between the governor and the carb.

If you find the carb is the problem and that you really CAN start the engine cold, with no choke, it would seem like your float valve might be leaking by. Re-check that the spring clip holding the valve to the float arm is not cocked and binding. To check if your float leaks by, with gas in the tank and the shut-off valve turned on (if there is one) the engine should be able to sit, not running, indefinitely, without a single drop of gas ever coming out of the carb. If gas leaks out when it's not running, there is a problem.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by bwright1818; 11-24-2015 at 05:50 AM.
post #9 of 9 Old 11-24-2015, 06:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Received): 14
Check to see if the shaft for the throttle plate is worn causing the butterfly to stick. I've run into this issue a few times.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page