How to remove and save stickers to re-use later....?? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old 11-25-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 477
Question How to remove and save stickers to re-use later....??

I might be getting the front section of one of my Yamaha YS828s sandblasted and powder coated in the next few days.
Is there a way that I could remove and save the stickers to be reused after the powdercoating process.....?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old 11-25-2015, 08:45 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 158
Likes (Given): 95
Likes (Received): 302
I've had better luck double taping them and showing whoever is blasting you want to save them than trying to heat and remove. Ariens model/serial stickers and a few warning type ones that are hard to find. That was repainted, not powder coat, so disregard. I have tried a heat gun and careful picking, then place them on wax paper, but about 50/50 shot.

Last edited by jtclays; 11-25-2015 at 08:48 PM.
post #3 of 28 Old 11-25-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks jt,
I was just reading some info about using a heat gun and a sharp blade.
I think I have not much to loose by trying it since they will get destroyed in the sandblasting pocess, or if they get taped before blasting, powder coating will not stick on the stickers, or if so the stickers will burn off in the heat process (about 400 degrees F is my understanding)and it would look horrible (they will probably refuse to do it with the stickers on).
post #4 of 28 Old 11-25-2015, 10:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by hsblowersfan View Post
Thanks jt,
I was just reading some info about using a heat gun and a sharp blade.
I think I have not much to loose by trying it since they will get destroyed in the sandblasting pocess, or if they get taped before blasting, powder coating will not stick on the stickers, or if so the stickers will burn off in the heat process (about 400 degrees F is my understanding)and it would look horrible (they will probably refuse to do it with the stickers on).
I wonder if you could photograph them, the have them printed on sticky back film decals to reapply after the paint is done. Maybe one of those places that does business lettering for cars and trucks is worth a call.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes E350 liked this post
post #5 of 28 Old 11-25-2015, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks skutflut,
There is a company that makes them Reproduction Snowblower Decals - Yamaha - Vintage Reproductions (only offers one sticker for Yamaha blowers), I could possibly get them made (by them as well) but it may turn expensive as there are more than a few stickers.
We'll see how it goes.
post #6 of 28 Old 11-26-2015, 09:06 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Thanks skutflut,
There is a company that makes them Reproduction Snowblower Decals - Yamaha - Vintage Reproductions (only offers one sticker for Yamaha blowers), I could possibly get them made (by them as well) but it may turn expensive as there are more than a few stickers.
We'll see how it goes.
Just took a look at that site, and they seem to have a nice product. 5 bucks a sticker is a bit steep, but you might find them cheaper elsewhere. They seem to have a few kits with all the stickers for Ariens for 50-60 bucks. They do have all the colours, and they say there is no setup charge, so when you think about it, 5 or 6 bucks for a 1 off is pretty reasonable. Somebody has to process each sticker, print it, cut it.

I guess its a matter of how important it is to keep it original. I don't think you will ever get the old ones off in one piece, let alone put them back on after the paint job. Kind of like trying to reuse an old bandaid....

Work fascinates me.

Last edited by skutflut; 11-26-2015 at 09:15 AM.
post #7 of 28 Old 11-26-2015, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
I guess its a matter of how important it is to keep it original. I don't think you will ever get the old ones off in one piece, let alone put them back on after the paint job. Kind of like trying to reuse an old bandaid....
If not succesful on removal I may price the replacements and if too expensive I may just leave it without any stickers (newer blowers have less stickers than older models anyways, JMHO)
post #8 of 28 Old 11-26-2015, 10:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
If not succesful on removal I may price the replacements and if too expensive I may just leave it without any stickers (newer blowers have less stickers than older models anyways, JMHO)
I suggest that you take high resolution photos of the originals before trying to remove them, so if you decide to take the plunge you will have the images available for the sticker guy to reproduce.

I am looking at some of those woodpecker with a cigar stickers (Thrush Muffler) for the bucket sides of mine.

Work fascinates me.
post #9 of 28 Old 11-26-2015, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Removed 3 stickers from the chute using a heat gun, they came out in one piece fairly easy, the only issue is that the glue stayed on the chute. So I will have to figure how to reglue them later (any ideas.....?).
I have only one more sticker to remove from the auger housing.
post #10 of 28 Old 11-26-2015, 11:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Removed 3 stickers from the chute using a heat gun, they came out in one piece fairly easy, the only issue is that the glue stayed on the chute. So I will have to figure how to reglue them later (any ideas.....?).
I have only one more sticker to remove from the auger housing.
3M makes a stray on adhesive that might work. You would spray it on the sticker backs, then apply to the paint. I think th stuff is #70 as opposed to #90 which Is much more aggressive. I would suggest a test before committing.

Work fascinates me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page