want to add heated grips to Tecumseh 7HP - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-27-2015, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
want to add heated grips to Tecumseh 7HP

Last winter I purchased a used John Deere tracked snow blower with a 7HP Tecumseh motor. (I believe the motor is a replacement because the manual lists a 8HP motor) This blower has a head light. I would like to add heated grips to this blower. My local repair shop doesn't know what larger alternator he should order so I can install the heated grips. The tag on motor lists: HSK 70 Serial # 130285S (D) DOM: 4242D
Can anyone help me out with this issue?

Thanks,

AJ F
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-27-2015, 11:41 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 85
Likes (Given): 27
Likes (Received): 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ F View Post
Last winter I purchased a used John Deere tracked snow blower with a 7HP Tecumseh motor. (I believe the motor is a replacement because the manual lists a 8HP motor) This blower has a head light. I would like to add heated grips to this blower. My local repair shop doesn't know what larger alternator he should order so I can install the heated grips. The tag on motor lists: HSK 70 Serial # 130285S (D) DOM: 4242D
Can anyone help me out with this issue

The alternator should be good to handle at least 45 watts or close to 4 amps to handle both the light and hand warmers. Good Luck

Snow Removal Apparatus I own:
Ariens ST1530DLE, and good ole arm powered scrapper.
The 15 HP is a new Ducar engine sold
by Princess Auto in Canada.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-27-2015, 02:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
I found a parts list for this engine at http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/te...70-130285S.pdf

According to this parts list, for that engine, the alternator is an 18W capacity, PN 611111. It might not have the power to run both, and it doesn't mention if it has a diode in it or not for DC output. If you wanted to put on a higher capacity alternator, you would also have to find a new flywheel with the appropriate magnets attached to it.

Also came across an interesting blog describing what you want to do and what the blogger did to get the power he needed. Looks like it might still be a work in progress however...

George Stone: Adding Alternator to Snowblower with Tecumseh Engine

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes db130, Grunt liked this post
post #4 of 14 Old 11-27-2015, 03:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
you'll also need the matching flywheel, it seems to be a lot of work and $$$ for little gain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 14 Old 11-28-2015, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
It might be a little work, but I like the features of this blower-I just need to keep my fingers warm so I can get all my snow removed with out having to go inside to warm-up.
post #6 of 14 Old 11-28-2015, 10:29 AM

Post Thanks / Like
The flywheel that goes with the 18w alternator is 611087, maybe this guy has another one?

post #7 of 14 Old 11-28-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I have the 18w alternator on the blower now. I would like to upgrade to a alternator that will put out more wattage to operate heated grips.

Thanks,
post #8 of 14 Old 11-28-2015, 10:48 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ F View Post
I have the 18w alternator on the blower now. I would like to upgrade to a alternator that will put out more wattage to operate heated grips.

Thanks,
Depending on the power requirements of the grips you are thinking about, it might be possible to use them with the existing alternator by adding an extra switch so that you can turn off the headlight and turn on the heaters. Only works if you don't need the headlight however, so if you do a lot of work in the dark, this might not suit you. You will be limited to about 9-10 watt heaters.

You would want a single pole, double throw switch, somewhat weather proof, with a minimum rating of about 5 amps. Beefier rating than you need, but probably a heavier duty switch. You might want to get one with a centre OFF position so you can shut off both light and heaters when they are not required. Heaters probably also come with a separate switch which would be fed from the one side of the SPDT switch.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #9 of 14 Old 11-29-2015, 06:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 30
This really isn't going to be any help if you have the McGiver bug; but what about just using the hand warmer packets that you put in your gloves??? Sure helps me and I have absolutely terrible hand circulation.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-29-2015, 08:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
I found a parts list for this engine at http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/te...70-130285S.pdf

Also came across an interesting blog describing what you want to do and what the blogger did to get the power he needed. Looks like it might still be a work in progress however...

George Stone: Adding Alternator to Snowblower with Tecumseh Engine
Thanks for posting that.. I recently had 2 HM80 engines from Bolens snowblowers and both were wired for heated handlebars and had provisions for a headlight *at the same time* - I figured that the alternator must be pretty beefy.

One of the engines is a hm80-155282k and when I googled it, the flywheel's part number is the same as that blog's 7-amp listing. Since the heated handlebars no longer work, I could safely go up to 55-watts if I chose to LOL.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page