Flywheel/Stator Upgrade vs Adjustable Step-Up Converter ~~ Is it possible? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 12-01-2015, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Flywheel/Stator Upgrade vs Adjustable Step-Up Converter ~~ Is it possible?

Another DC power issue...I don't think I'm getting the full potential of lumens from my lights due to a possible lack of juice. I have not metered my output nor checked the flywheel/stator but my stock wiring is set up for electric start, warmers, and light (only using warmers and lights). Being that stators ranging 18W - 84W are available I'm thinking I may have towards the higher end since my stock inline fuse is 7.5amps.

I have no need for electric start but because the length of my drive (150 + parking) is no quick job, I would like, in addition to grips and lights, want to power my beverage warmer.

My question is, IF I am at the low end, can I add an Adjustable Step Up Converter which would allow me to adjust for appropriate range of Volts and Amps so as not to fry anything, yet take advantage of the increased watt output generated?

I have zero electrical intellect and my research and reading in an attempt to educate my self has given me a migraine.
.......my guess is, I am not even on the right path in my thinking and it can only be achieved by upgrading flywheel/stator.

My wiring - Bolens 1026 Owner's/operator's Manual (Page 25 of 26)
I installed redundant inline fuses and on/off switches for both lights and warmers.

My lights - 2X 6inch 18W LED Work Light Bar Flood Beam Offroad Driving Fog 4WD Lamp Ute SUV | eBay

Could I install a Step-Up, if so, a recommendation, and how?

Maybe something like this
DC DC LTC1871 Boost Step Up Module 3 5 to 30V 100W 100W LED Voltmeter | eBay

Last edited by Bolens93; 12-01-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks E350 thanked for this post
Likes E350 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 12-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
You can step up the voltage with a transformer but you can't increase the power available. In fact the transformer will use some of the power due to resistance and heat and leave you with a higher voltage but less amperage then you have now to run stuff.

The only way to get more power is a flywheel with more magnets and or more windings on the stator.

Check your voltage on the circuit with the lights. If the voltage is dripping below 12 volts with both hooked up then you'll only be able to run one light.

That or replace the stator and or flywheel.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 12-01-2015, 07:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 20
All of the Bolens that Ive dealt with (that came stock with heated grips) already had the Tecumseh 5-magnet flywheel (p/n 611094) and 7amp (84w) coil installed from the factory. That's about all you can do other than add a battery to run your beverage heater.
post #4 of 17 Old 12-02-2015, 12:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
Beverage warmer?? Come on, man.

How about a photo of the 18w lights in action? Any flicker?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 17 Old 12-02-2015, 12:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 271
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 153
Likes (Received): 75
Guys, I like this thread. In keeping with my duty to ask the stupid questions on this forum, are there any tiny (low drag) alternators out there which can be hooked up to an existing or fabricated power take off?
post #6 of 17 Old 12-02-2015, 02:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
Tecumseh did make a rare add-on alternator for engines built after 01/01/1988, for HSK Compact, HSK30-35, HSSK40-50, HSK50-60-70, HMSK70-80-100, and OHSK120 engines.

These engines typically have a sticker on the recoil starter that says, "This engine is provisioned for an electric starter and the add-on alternator kit"

You can tell by 3 holes 60-degrees apart on the recoil starter.

Here is a picture of it

My late 80s/early 90s Bolens 824A that I parted out had such an engine.

post #7 of 17 Old 12-02-2015, 03:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Very cool I have never run into that type of altenator before. Never really need a beverage warmer on my blower either! ;>P It does get me to thinking if there are some small magneto type alternators you could adapt? I can't find any descriptions of this guy that tell me much about it: DB Electrical - NEW PERMANENT MAGNET ALTERNATOR KOKUSAN DENKI GP9905 8970489700

Looks like it might have a chance to work though?

post #8 of 17 Old 12-02-2015, 09:37 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 20
I added a Honda motorcycle alternator (~25a/300w) to a Tecumseh powered snowblower about 20yrs ago. It worked well and really didn't take very long, but Im a pretty good metal fabricator.
post #9 of 17 Old 12-03-2015, 12:04 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 271
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 153
Likes (Received): 75
Yep, very cool guys.

And one more thing Bolens93 would you please post a picture of your beverage warmer?
post #10 of 17 Old 12-03-2015, 03:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by db130 View Post
Beverage warmer?? Come on, man.

How about a photo of the 18w lights in action? Any flicker?
Zero flicker. I will post a pic or vid soon when I RE-install them....rethinking where I had put them I feel they would have been compromised either by plowing into deep snow or from throwing snow so I removed them from the intake and am looking at installing on the dashboard. I have an old mt bike bar that I will cut in half.

Last edited by Bolens93; 12-03-2015 at 04:09 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page