LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-08-2015, 05:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Tecumseh starter motor questions

Hi all, I have a starter motor from a tecumseh HMSK105 engine.
The engine would not start with the starter, starts fine with the pull cord, so I removed it. The starter runs but doesn't seem to turn the engine over. Running it on the bench the small gear on the starter which engages the flywheel moves into the extended position when the button is pushed but does not remain extended as the motor spins. Is it supposed to remain extended as long as the motor is spinning? I haven't taken it apart yet but I can't smell anything burnt and it seems to spin ok. I've no experience with these starters.

charlie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-08-2015, 05:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1383
the started gear flys out to the flywheel when the switch is engaged. post a vid of this problem.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 22 Old 12-08-2015, 06:00 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 42
Hi dualTrace
The starter should remain extended during cranking, and retract when the switch is released. MH

1960 Ariens 45-10M
1961 Ariens 10M55
1977 Ariens 22000
1972 Ariens 10000
1990 Ariens ST724
1987 Toro 724
Murray Ultra 522
MTD Single stage
8 hp MTD hybrid plow
post #4 of 22 Old 12-08-2015, 06:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 280
It should stay out as long as you are on the button. You might pull it out and take a look at the gear and make sure things are in good shape. It might have a bad brush or contact point also.... look on youtube for starter videos. Lots of good info on there....

post #5 of 22 Old 12-08-2015, 07:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Ok the gear extends when the button is pushed but retracts almost right away even if the button is still pushed. If I release the button and push it again the same thing happens. I took the gear off and everything looks good with no wear that I can see. I lubed everything with some light oil and reassembled with no success, the same behavior. Is the rotational speed of the starter tied into this extension and retraction action? Thinking maybe the thing is not rotating fast enough.
charlie
post #6 of 22 Old 12-08-2015, 07:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 508
Thanks (Received): 380
Likes (Given): 291
Likes (Received): 1383
then there is something wrong going on there. just tossing this out there. get a new gear. I am sure some one here has more ideas on that 1.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 22 Old 12-09-2015, 05:45 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 11
Likes (Given): 9
Likes (Received): 30
The gear needs resistance from a load (the cranking of the flywheel) so STAY out. It will not stay out during a bench test. That's normal. Now, what would not be normal is if you held the gear with LARGE pair of water pump pliers and it stayed still while the starter turned. MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE HELD VERY TIGHT FOR THIS TEST. THE BEST WAY TO DO IT WOULD BE TO PUT IT BACK ON THE ENGINE AND LOCK THE FLYWHEEL SOMEHOW. DON'T HURT YOURSELF. The "Bendix," as some refer to it, can go bad, and slip under a load. You might just need to replace the gear assembly anyway; but no-load, they are NOT going to stay out while turning.

Last edited by bwright1818; 12-09-2015 at 05:51 AM. Reason: More clarification
post #8 of 22 Old 12-09-2015, 05:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
bwright1818 .... Thanks for this information, just what I needed to know. I'll stick it back on the machine and see what happens. Maybe with a little cleaning and lube the thing will work. Gonna have a closer look at the ring gear on the flywheel too.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Eyeboltman liked this post
post #9 of 22 Old 12-09-2015, 06:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 376
Likes (Given): 468
Likes (Received): 483
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwright1818 View Post
The gear needs resistance from a load (the cranking of the flywheel) so STAY out. It will not stay out during a bench test. That's normal. Now, what would not be normal is if you held the gear with LARGE pair of water pump pliers and it stayed still while the starter turned. MAKE SURE YOU UNDERSTAND THAT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE HELD VERY TIGHT FOR THIS TEST. THE BEST WAY TO DO IT WOULD BE TO PUT IT BACK ON THE ENGINE AND LOCK THE FLYWHEEL SOMEHOW. DON'T HURT YOURSELF. The "Bendix," as some refer to it, can go bad, and slip under a load. You might just need to replace the gear assembly anyway; but no-load, they are NOT going to stay out while turning.
I've never dealt with a small engine starter, but on an automotive starter when you bench test it, the gear of the bendix comes out and stays out during testing (unless my memory is failing on me ), the stripped gear scenario sounds possible but it should be making funny noises I would think. If no visibily, He could always remove the pull cord assy and shrhouding and take a look at what is happening.

Is it possible that the engine does not have a flywheel with ring gear?
post #10 of 22 Old 12-09-2015, 07:01 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
hsblowersfan.... the engine does have a gear on the flywheel, the starter worked before. My 85 year old uncle, who lives across the street from me, owned the machine from new and gave it to me last week. He bought a new Honda, $4000.00, man is that thing quiet when running. I might just remove the recoil assembly and have a look, it's not retracting the cord all the way so it'll give me a chance to check that out too. So now we have 1 for and 2 against the gear staying extended during testing on the bench. Anyone else care to weigh in?
charlie

Last edited by dualTrace; 12-09-2015 at 07:07 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page