Aspen Fuel - Alkylate Based Fuel - Miracle Cure - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 12-10-2015, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 13
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 54
Likes (Received): 19
Aspen Fuel - Alkylate Based Fuel - Miracle Cure

As promised last year (*CoUgH* - better late then never?)

Here is some information on the equipment fuel I use. I love taking care of my equipment, but I've been terrible at emptying my PE of gas before storage. Guilt and self recrimination result...anger and swearing, the ultimate outcome, as I try in vein to start said PE the next season. Never again I told myself. My PE dealer pointed me to this stuff, and while it is NOT CHEAP, if you aren't a commercial operation, then a jug is well worth the gains in reduced emissions, even just in terms of smell and its massive contributions to reliability.

My understanding is that many engine manufacturers us this to test engines (if that's part of their QC before shipment because no matter how long it sits, they never have gas go bad, have no need to empty the carb bowl and deal with disposal and this saves man power, time = money.

Alpine fuel is the answer for me: read on [Marketing Speil]

From Lawnmowers to Chainsaws Aspen has the fuel you need!
Aspen 2 and Aspen 4 were initially developed for work hygiene reasons, in cooperation with professional users. Aspen 2 and Aspen 4 contain virtually no harmful substances such as benzene, aromatic hydrocarbons, polyaromatic hydrocarbons or olefins. Ordinary gasoline contains around one hundred substances, but Aspen alkylate gasoline only has around ten of the least harmful. This means that the health risks from exposure to gasoline fumes and exhaust fumes are minimized.
Aspen 4 is an alkylate gasoline for lawnmowers, tillers, snow blowers, boats and other 4-stroke engines.

Aspen 4 keeps valves and pistons cleaner, which gives the engine a longer service life and greater operational reliability.
Aspen 4 can be stored for a long time without any deterioration in quality. Aspen alkylate gasoline keeps for 3–5 years compared with ordinary gasoline, which keeps for around 3–5 months.

Ordinary petrol is produced through the refining of crude oil where various fractions are treated in different ways and then combined. Gasoline is thus not a homogeneous substance, but a mixture of several. Ordinary gasoline purchased at gasoline stations contains around one hundred different substances, all with different properties as regards performance, effect on health and environmental impact. Many components are extremely hazardous to humans and our environment.

Alkylate is produced synthetically from the clean gases released when refining crude oil. The result is a very clean gasoline, which only consists of around ten substances, and is therefore largely naturally free from hazardous constituent components such as benzene, aromatic hydrocarbons, sulphur and olefins.

[end spiel]

Because it doesn't go bad, is extremely gentle on everything (even styrofoam left in it for hours) it can sit in your carb ready for the next start as if the seasons don't exist. With the added benefit of having a full tank, there won't be any condensation issues.

Anyhow, I hope this helps. Alpine 4 is what I use. Hopefully this info wasn't too late, after a search on this forum it didn't appear anyone had posted info on it yet. Even factoring in cost, a jug will likely do you for a season, in which case the long term gains in reliability, start-ability and no longer going mental over inopportune start up failure before a massive storm, should make the investment worth while.

Please post any questions you may have, I'll do my best to answer it.

Edit: web and product data PDF added to post

Website can be found here: www.aspen.se/Canada

Product data sheet here (pdf): Aspen Fuels Product Data PDF

EDIT: Jan 5th 2016
Additional Information Provided Courtesy User: ztnoo

From the given web site link:

"Aspen is owned by Lantmännen. Lantmännen is one of Scandinavia’s largest groups within food, machinery, energy and agriculture. The group is owned by 33,500 Swedish farmers, has around 8600 employees, operates in 22 countries and has a turnover of SEK 36.5 billion"

Head office

Lantmännen Aspen
Iberovägen 2
SE-438 54 Hindås
Sweden
Phone: +46-301-230 000
Mail: [email protected]
Website: For you if you have purchased Aspen Alkylate petrol or are planning to do so

Last edited by MagnumB; 01-06-2016 at 07:23 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks classiccat thanked for this post
Likes Arcticblower liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 12-10-2015, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Is it about $8 a liter ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes MagnumB liked this post
post #3 of 22 Old 12-10-2015, 02:44 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
Is it about $8 a liter ??
In Canada 5 Litres - $44.99 (so you are pretty darn close)

Not cheap. However one strategy I failed to mention was buying a jug and using it for your last few fill ups of the year. As long as you end with it your good.

That said, there is something nice about not stinking like exhaust after a good snow session.

Buy Red - that's all I need to say
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog, uberT liked this post
post #4 of 22 Old 12-10-2015, 09:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 14
Is this different than TruFuel?
post #5 of 22 Old 12-11-2015, 12:31 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slinger View Post
Is this different than TruFuel?
From my admittedly limited review of TruFuel' web site, I feel confident saying it's very different. Though they both sell a 2 stroke mix as well, but the fundamentals are completely different.

There are no stabilizers, additives etc. In fact compared to regular fuel with over 100+ constituent chemicals, an alkalyte based fuel has about 10 total parts, with non of the nasty bits present in regular fuel, such as benzine.

It burns perfectly, cleaner and because it's homogeneous vs many mixed constituent parts, there is nothing to separate or precipitate out of the fuel (which is the destabilizing process of regular gasoline in a nutshell, as I've come to understand it)

I'm not saying the exhaust is older-less, far from it, it's just much better and doesn't permeate clothing. Certainly it's far less noxious....smells differently too. More pleasant (though I don't ho sniffing it)

They do a demo at the factory that includes taking two large foam chunks and placing one in regular gasoline and the other in the alpine fuel. When you come back from the tour, the foam in the gasoline is gone, dissolved. The foam in the alpine fuel is still floating there with zero physical change or damage to it.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Anything I don't know ill search for or talk to someone who is quite familiar with the product on a more technical level if possible.

I just want to make people aware of the product because carb repairs are common due to stale fuel; especially for the less handy, this can really be a money/frustration saver.

post #6 of 22 Old 12-11-2015, 05:28 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 3
Is it compatible with gasoline?
post #7 of 22 Old 12-11-2015, 07:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Never heard of the stuff but sounds very intriguing! Thanks for posting MagnumB!

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes MagnumB liked this post
post #8 of 22 Old 12-11-2015, 12:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by grouchy-hermit View Post
Is it compatible with gasoline?
Hi there,

In as much as you could in theory mix it and they would both burn, yes. But there are zero advantages to that, as aspen won't stabilize regular fuel, it's stability is intrinsic.

Best practice has been to run your machine until it stops, and make the next fill-up aspen, run it and your good. There are no negative reactions between aspen and gas, but you want all of the gas gone.

The aspen won't act as a fuel enhancer, again it's properties seem to be exclusive and intrinsic.

I've been wondering if it would make a good emergency fuel source for the trunk, and I think it would as its stable - 5 years from now it would still be useful. But what I don't know is how more complex vehicle engines would handle it. I'll look into that.

post #9 of 22 Old 12-11-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Just wondering if this might not be more useful in the General forum discussion.

Mr Uber Mods, I'll let you kind folks decide.

post #10 of 22 Old 12-11-2015, 05:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 291
Is there a web site?

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page