Skid adjustment and shave plate harding. - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-11-2015, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 58
Talking Skid adjustment and shave plate harding.

Yesterday I took the blower apart and replaced the impeller belt. While I had it apart and the skids and shave plat were in the air I took a look at them. Appears the skids have never been adjusted on this machine and the new bolt I had put in the shave plates missing one has wore nearly in half already after doing 80 feet x8 feet wide drive way once this year, 12-11-15 49F at 12:00 PM.

Any way I got to thinking I should adjust the skids to help glide over the expansion joints (concrete drive way) and slow down the wear on the shave plate.
I also got to wondering about using some welding hardener rod to build up the end and slow the wear down.

I just took a end wrench and set in the middle of the shave bar and adjusted the skids down to the payment. Appears I now have about 1/4 inch of clearance.

Alcam #94 is used for protecting all iron based parts subject to severe fine particle abrasion, such as slag, cement, coal, ore, gravel, sand, etc. This electrode produces abrasion and wear resistant welds for hard-facing machine components subjected to extreme abrasion, and still capable of withstanding high heat common to crushers, grates, hot coke conveyors, and slag, cement and sinter-handling equipment. Weld metal can be machined only by grinding.
PRODUCTS AVAILABLE:
ELECTRODE: 1/8” 5/32” 3/16”

Al

Last edited by alleyyooper; 12-11-2015 at 12:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-11-2015, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
It's pretty easy to make a scraper bar if you needed to but with the skids adjusted properly you likely won't have much wear on it. IMHO not enough to warrant trying to lay a bead along it's edge and then grind it down smooth. For sure not enough to pay someone else to do it !!
For that much effort I'd be tempted to make one out of HDPE.

But to each their own as we are all about the mods and trying stuff to see what works best.

https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...raper-bar.html

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-11-2015, 05:03 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 109
Likes (Given): 75
Likes (Received): 116
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleyyooper View Post
.. While I had it apart and the skids and shave plat were in the air I took a look at them. Appears the skids have never been adjusted on this machine and the new bolt I had put in the shave plates missing one has wore nearly in half already after doing 80 feet x8 feet wide drive way once this year, 12-11-15 49F at 12:00 PM.

Any way I got to thinking I should adjust the skids to help glide over the expansion joints (concrete drive way) and slow down the wear on the shave plate.
I just took a end wrench and set in the middle of the shave bar and adjusted the skids down to the payment. Appears I now have about 1/4 inch of clearance.....
That is an incredible amount of wear on that scraper blade for such a short use. The clearance of the plate to the ground will depend on how well the skids can lift the front of the machine up and over the rough surface. I use an 1/8" clearance on smooth driveway to remove the most snow. You will need to support the scraper blade at both ends and drop the skid plates to level ground and then tighten. I use one paint stir stick per side so two each side would be about 1/4". Use as many as necessary so the scraper blade will not hit too hard on the uneven sections.

New scraper blades should last for many years (more than 10 years) and can usually be adjusted down for more years of useful life.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #4 of 5 Old 12-12-2015, 12:36 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 58
Talking

Would take longer to remove the scraper from this machine than to lay a nice bead and smooth it out a little bit. I don't believe the skids were aver adjusted as they barely have any paint wore off the bottom of them. Yet the scraper does show wear but never seeing a new one I can not say just how much.
Remember this is a road side ditch find.

Al
post #5 of 5 Old 12-12-2015, 07:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 271
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 153
Likes (Received): 75
alleyytooper: I am taking my scraper bar off and replacing it with 1/4" x 2" plow steel purchased from Cutting Edge Supply. Plow steel is already hardened bar stock. If I did not have a dirt and immovable granite rock driveway, I would just buy the oem Ariens replacement scraper bar like ELaw did. But no doubt I will be running into very hard immovable rocks so decided to go bullet proof. After I fabricate it (likely poorly) I will post picks. Might be better to buy plow steel and use your welding skills for welding on the "ears" which provide the support backing for the skid shoes to attach to the auger housing, no?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page