LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 12-16-2015, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
2014 Ariens Deluxe 28" Carb Adjustment?

Purchased a new Ariens 28" (921030) with AX 254cc engine (PW6HK17750178EABGILOQUVX59E1M) from Home Depot last year. It ran well throughout the winter season. During the summer, the fuel shutoff valve developed a leak, however, resulting in a full tank of treated fuel evaporating. From this point forward, the snowblower wouldn't run without full choke. I've since replaced the fuel shutoff switch.

I figured the carburetor probably became gummed up, just like the fuel switch, after trying to start it up, so I ordered a replacement. (Since people seem to have mixed experiences with cleaning carburetors, I figured I'd clean the old one and save it for the Next Time.)

Well, it's not working out that way. I've just installed the new carb today and the engine is now producing much less power than it should, running rather rough, and doesn't sound like it's hitting the same RPMs as prior; but at least it runs without any choke.

So, what'd I miss? There -is- a tiny little screw (under the throttle) on the carb that looks like it could be for adjustment, but I'm not sure I'm even on the right trail here, as there seems to be very little info about these models available online.

Last edited by EnigmaGrey; 12-16-2015 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 12-16-2015, 05:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
I suspect the screw is just the idle stop screw and that there are no adjustments for fuel mixture on that carb.

Sounds like you may not have hooked up the governor linkage correctly.

Also check the oil level in the engine and check to see if it has a gasoline smell. If the fuel shutoff was not working correctly fuel could have bypassed the needle valve in the carb and gas could have gotten into the oil.
post #3 of 24 Old 12-16-2015, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
to the forum EnigmaGrey.

Since you purchased it new you should have the manuals and in those it should tell you how to adjust the carb.

How about a photo of the old carb showing the screw you're asking about ??

I would guess too that it's the idle stop screw for setting idle.
Any chance you are off a hole in how you installed the new carb with it's linkage(s) ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 24 Old 11-27-2016, 02:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Did you ever find out what the issue was? I cleaned my carb up and am now facing the same issue.
post #5 of 24 Old 11-27-2016, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
to the forum gozzling

Since this thread has been dead for a year and the original poster only posted this one time it's likely you're not going to get a response.

Did you remove the carb from the engine to clean it ??
Did you take photos or mark the linkage so you're positive you put it back on with the linkage in the exact same holes ??

What problems are you having with yours ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Paul Martell thanked for this post
post #6 of 24 Old 11-27-2016, 08:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 58
Thanks (Received): 106
Likes (Given): 73
Likes (Received): 112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by gozzling View Post
Did you ever find out what the issue was? I cleaned my carb up and am now facing the same issue.
Perhaps the carb on my machine is set up the same as yours. There are no fuel mixture setting adjustments that I could find. I have pictures of the set up of my carb linkage and the carb to governor linkage which may help you. A few are attached (the orientation changed when posted):
Pic #1 shows the idle throttle position with the throttle plate linkage touching the black idle screw.
Pic #2 shows same features from a different angle.
Pic #3 shows full throttle with the throttle plate linkage clear of the black stop screw.
Pic #4 shows the governor arm with the small spring and throttle plate rod attachment to governor arm and the governor tension spring location on the arm and its mounting to the cowling anchor.
Pic #5 shows the stock position of the governor tension spring.

For me, adjusting the idle speed to 2200 rpm amounted to adjusting the black throttle stop screw and re-attaching enough bits to get the engine running to check if fast enough. Repeat procedure until it is right.

If your setup is different post some pictures and perhaps a solution can be found.

Hope this helps you. Good luck.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.Carb idle throttle stop and gov linkage.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	92586   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.Carb Idle throttle & stop.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	92594   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.Carb full throttle clear of idle stop screw.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	296.7 KB
ID:	92602   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.Carb governor link rod & small spring loc.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	92610   Click image for larger version

Name:	5.Carb governor control spring stock pos.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	305.6 KB
ID:	92618  

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #7 of 24 Old 04-17-2018, 08:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you for the pictures of the governor linkages. I too replaced the carb and realized/know that the spring from mid arm was broken. Ordered and received the governor linkage kit as well. See the general idea and will investigate where the stationary connection is. Mine is the 28" Deluxe. So point is different but concept the same. I know it came toward the carb but not attached to carb linkages, as that spring is much softer - not as much flex. Connected to the throttle plate adjustment. I believe this is necessary to be a fixed location.
post #8 of 24 Old 02-20-2019, 11:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Sorry I'm late in getting back to this but hopefully if someone has my exact model they will come across this. My engine is different from the pictures here. I was however able to get the right info by reaching out to LCT support. They sent me a diagram of how the governor linkage should be setup. Hope this helps someone!

Ariens Deluxe 28 Info:
Model Number: 921030
Serial Number: 12XXXX

LCT Engine Info:
Model: PW6HK17750178EABGILOQUVX59E1M
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image001_1550680764393.png
Views:	135
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	153785  
post #9 of 24 Old 02-22-2019, 05:15 PM

Post Thanks / Like
I had an issue this week where the blower would not start. After quite a bit of troubleshooting I decided the governor was not working the throttle right. I found I could start the engine by manually moving the throttle to about the 3/4 position. And it would stay there when running.

I took the gas tank off so I could see the entire linkage. I couldn't see any problem.
I jiggled the linkage quite a bit and could not feel anything suspiciously wrong.

I put things back together enough so I could start the engine. And it started right up. So I put it completely back together and addressed our latest 10" snowfall.

The blower worked fine, but I noted that when not under load from either the blade or the drive, that the "idle" speed was a little high.

I don't believe that the throttle is at the idle position against the idle screw when the engine is running. But I could well be wrong.
I am not going to mess with the engine unless it breaks again. Then I will try to determine what position the throttle is in under various load/no load conditions.

So a couple of questions are:
Can I adjust the no load rpm by turning the idle adjust screw? (I think not?)
Where is the mechanism that causes the governor linkage to move? Is it inside or outside the engine. I have done a lot of online searching and think I have seen both situations. I would like to be able inspect this and make sure it is working. But I am not willing to open up the engine anytime soon.

There a lot of videos around about adjusting mechanical governors, but I couldn't find one for adjusting a pneumatic one, like I believe is on this engine.

Thanks
post #10 of 24 Old 02-22-2019, 06:04 PM

Location: North Dallas area and UP of MI, average snowfall 202"
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 16
Thanks (Received): 65
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 174
The mechanism that actuates the gov arm is internal to the engine. Sometimes crud can build up where it exits the block and make it stick.

Idle is typically not governed, and the stop screw should be able to set your idle speed. (Idle, though is not necessarily 'no-load rpm' . . . . it's RPM with the throttle set to low. RPM at high throttle is regulated by the gov, load or no load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page