LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-18-2015, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
MTD 316E611D352 5hp 22" Path

I am attempting to remove the auger/impeller from this unit, I have the machine separated from the housing, removed the pulley, bearing retainer and bolts holding the auger assy. in place.... My problem is trying to remove the bearing from the shaft.There isn't enough room to use a puller, the bearing is too tight to the housing. I was going to try a bearing splitter but not sure what one to use, the other issue is the 3 studs coming out of the housing that hold the bearing retainer do not leave much room to get the splitter in place. I thought if I freed up the impeller that would give me the added room to push the shaft to the back so I could use a puller, removed the roll pins but the impeller is frozen to the shaft - besides after looking it over I do not think that will provide the room required anyway. I would like to save the bearing, but worst case scenario I will have to cut it off. Any advice? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-18-2015, 11:08 AM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
remove the bolts on the sides of the housing and pull the gearbox out of the housing, and use a puller to remove the bearing
post #3 of 5 Old 12-18-2015, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
With the impeller frozen to the shaft you don't have much room.
Sanding all the rust off the shaft and then soaking the bearing/shaft (PB Blaster or something similar) and finally taking a torch to it would be my approach.
That or cutting.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-18-2015, 11:26 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 317
Likes (Received): 623
Get your auger on some blocks, so gravity is helping you. Get a Large Socket on the bearing and knock the bearing through the housing with a large hammer. Rakes and impeller will fall out with the bearing. No Biggie.
post #5 of 5 Old 12-18-2015, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 2
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSnow View Post
I am attempting to remove the auger/impeller from this unit, I have the machine separated from the housing, removed the pulley, bearing retainer and bolts holding the auger assy. in place.... My problem is trying to remove the bearing from the shaft.There isn't enough room to use a puller, the bearing is too tight to the housing. I was going to try a bearing splitter but not sure what one to use, the other issue is the 3 studs coming out of the housing that hold the bearing retainer do not leave much room to get the splitter in place. I thought if I freed up the impeller that would give me the added room to push the shaft to the back so I could use a puller, removed the roll pins but the impeller is frozen to the shaft - besides after looking it over I do not think that will provide the room required anyway. I would like to save the bearing, but worst case scenario I will have to cut it off. Any advice? Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43128 View Post
remove the bolts on the sides of the housing and pull the gearbox out of the housing, and use a puller to remove the bearing
Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page