Honda HS828 Transmission Problem - Need advice - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-18-2015, 06:01 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Honda HS828 Transmission Problem - Need advice

I have a Honda HS828 with Hydrostatic Transmission. The machine works perfect for 10-15 minutes then gradually slows down until it wont move forward or reverse. Then the next time I start it up it works fine again for 10-15 minutes, and then does the same thing. Any Ideas as to what is going on?

I've had it looked at by a Honda repairman and he says I need to replace the entire transmission because the transmissions are too complicated to fix. Is this right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-18-2015, 06:14 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 103
Thanks (Received): 375
Likes (Given): 466
Likes (Received): 479
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmellish View Post
I have a Honda HS828 with Hydrostatic Transmission. The machine works perfect for 10-15 minutes then gradually slows down until it wont move forward or reverse. Then the next time I start it up it works fine again for 10-15 minutes, and then does the same thing. Any Ideas as to what is going on?

I've had it looked at by a Honda repairman and he says I need to replace the entire transmission because the transmissions are too complicated to fix. Is this right?
JnC may shed some light on this issue as I think he is serviced a few of them.....

You can certainly browse thru this thread to have some understanding of it
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...nsmission.html
post #3 of 3 Old 12-18-2015, 06:35 PM
JnC

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 59
Thanks (Received): 135
Likes (Given): 24
Likes (Received): 190
Seems like an issue with the hydraulics. The hydraulic pins/pistons inside the transmission seem to have a play in them as once the fluid warms up the viscosity changes and could halt operations. I have seen this issue with a few Tuff Torq transmissions for John Deere ride on mowers.

If you are lucky then it could be just contaminated HST fluid, I'd advise on taking the transmission off of the machine, drain all the old fluid, use the above linked thread to put new fluid in the HST and then bleed it properly.

Thats a good starting point.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in