LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 12-20-2015, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Tecumseh HM100-159170R governor issue

Hey everybody! I have a 1973 Ariens 910018 with a tecumseh HM100-159170R. I bought it recently and here's what I've done so far. I have completely rebuilt the carb and installed new fuel lines and a primer. My problem is that i got the governor adjusted so that it had a high idle of 3600 rpm, and the mixtures set right, and it runs great with no load. But once i start into even 6 inches of snow, the engine won't maintain rpm. I know that it isn't an issue of lack of power, because if i manually aid the governor spring, it has tons of power. Also, when i screwed the adjustment screw on the throttle lever assembly in more to compensate, then at at the full rpm the throttle lever was slowly being pushed back by the governor. Should i be replacing the throttle lever assembly with the spring? Maybe the spring is weak and the lever assembly is worn out? Some advice would be appreciated. I'll post a picture of the type of throttle control it has.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	68273  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-20-2015, 12:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westy View Post
Hey everybody! I have a 1973 Ariens 910018 with a tecumseh HM100-159170R. I bought it recently and here's what I've done so far. I have completely rebuilt the carb and installed new fuel lines and a primer. My problem is that i got the governor adjusted so that it had a high idle of 3600 rpm, and the mixtures set right, and it runs great with no load. But once i start into even 6 inches of snow, the engine won't maintain rpm. I know that it isn't an issue of lack of power, because if i manually aid the governor spring, it has tons of power. Also, when i screwed the adjustment screw on the throttle lever assembly in more to compensate, then at at the full rpm the throttle lever was slowly being pushed back by the governor. Should i be replacing the throttle lever assembly with the spring? Maybe the spring is weak and the lever assembly is worn out? Some advice would be appreciated. I'll post a picture of the type of throttle control it has.
Probably the spring. Does it look stretched out or deformed or corroded? Did you get the spring into the same hole as it was in originally? The throttle lever friction pivot could be bad and it's not staying where you put it. Did you get any oil on there? Try cleaning it out and maybe give it a tap with a hammer and punch, or if it has a nut, tighten that up a bit. to add some drag so it doesn't move when the governor starts increasing throttle. The governor spring should not be moving the throttle lever from where you set it.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 12-20-2015 at 02:03 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-20-2015, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by skutflut View Post
Probably the spring. Does it look stretched out or deformed or corroded? Did you get the spring into the same hole as it was in originally? The throttle lever friction pivot could be bad and it's not staying where you put it. Did you get any oil on there? Try cleaning it out and maybe give it a tap with a hammer and punch, or if it has a nut, tighten that up a bit. to add some drag so it doesn't move when the governor starts increasing throttle. The governor spring should not be moving the throttle lever from where you set it.
Yeah maybe I'll try hitting it with a hammer and punch to tighten it up. There is no nut unfortunately. I didn't get any oil on it, but i could try spraying some brake cleaner on it to make sure. Also, I did bend the spring to give it more tension, which did help slightly. The spring is rusty though, so maybe the governor spring just needs to be replaced. Although by the looks of it, i won't be able to buy just the spring. It comes with the throttle assembly in the picture i attached.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-20-2015, 05:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Yeah maybe I'll try hitting it with a hammer and punch to tighten it up. There is no nut unfortunately. I didn't get any oil on it, but i could try spraying some brake cleaner on it to make sure. Also, I did bend the spring to give it more tension, which did help slightly. The spring is rusty though, so maybe the governor spring just needs to be replaced. Although by the looks of it, i won't be able to buy just the spring. It comes with the throttle assembly in the picture i attached.
adding more tension on the spring reinforces the notion that the throttle lever is moving off the point where you set it. I would see if you can get a replacement spring even if that is not the problem. Rusty means it might weaken and break although from the sound of it at the moment, its probably over tensioned a bit.

When you hit the deep snow can you see the throttle lever actually moving towards slow on the engine?

Work fascinates me.
post #5 of 7 Old 12-20-2015, 07:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
adding more tension on the spring reinforces the notion that the throttle lever is moving off the point where you set it. I would see if you can get a replacement spring even if that is not the problem. Rusty means it might weaken and break although from the sound of it at the moment, its probably over tensioned a bit.

When you hit the deep snow can you see the throttle lever actually moving towards slow on the engine?
Okay i got it figured for now anyways. I think that the spring has gotten weak over the years and i got it to work now though. I realized that the governor rod being in the outermost hole on the throttle lever meant that the spring had very little leverage over the governor, but the governor had lots of leverage over the spring. So i moved the rod two holes down. (One at a time of course, with testing in between). I also tapped the shaft a bit in order to tighten the friction lever a bit. Then once i set the max rpm to 3600, i ran into about 1 foot of snow and it dug in and kept throwing it, while maintaining good rpms! And to answer your question, no the throttle lever wasn't being pushed down when I hit the snow. It only did that once, when i turned the adjustment screw in a bit further at high idle.

So now my good old blower is throwing snow about 20 feet! Which is plenty far enough if you ask me. I think if i do replace the spring, it probably will hold the rpms a little better, as right now when I'm taking a full bucket of snow, it probably lugs down about 150 rpm by ear anyways. It's pretty tough to hold a laser tachometer on the pulley while running it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151220_135159.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	68281  
post #6 of 7 Old 12-20-2015, 10:16 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Okay i got it figured for now anyways. I think that the spring has gotten weak over the years and i got it to work now though. I realized that the governor rod being in the outermost hole on the throttle lever meant that the spring had very little leverage over the governor, but the governor had lots of leverage over the spring. So i moved the rod two holes down. (One at a time of course, with testing in between). I also tapped the shaft a bit in order to tighten the friction lever a bit. Then once i set the max rpm to 3600, i ran into about 1 foot of snow and it dug in and kept throwing it, while maintaining good rpms! And to answer your question, no the throttle lever wasn't being pushed down when I hit the snow. It only did that once, when i turned the adjustment screw in a bit further at high idle.

So now my good old blower is throwing snow about 20 feet! Which is plenty far enough if you ask me. I think if i do replace the spring, it probably will hold the rpms a little better, as right now when I'm taking a full bucket of snow, it probably lugs down about 150 rpm by ear anyways. It's pretty tough to hold a laser tachometer on the pulley while running it.

Glad you got it working. Just a thought, from that picture. You might want to put some plastic sleeving or a bit of electrical tape over that fuel line to protect it from abrasion on the edge of the bracket. Doesn't look like the original 1/2 inch fuel line. That stuff could rub thru with vibration and spring a leak if its a fuel line, or if its a primer hose, an air leak.

Work fascinates me.

Last edited by skutflut; 12-20-2015 at 10:21 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks Westy thanked for this post
Likes Westy liked this post
post #7 of 7 Old 12-20-2015, 10:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Glad you got it working. Just a thought, from that picture. You might want to put some plastic sleeving or a bit of electrical tape over that fuel line to protect it from abrasion on the edge of the bracket. Doesn't look like the original 1/2 inch fuel line. That stuff could rub thru with vibration and spring a leak if its a fuel line, or if its a primer hose, an air leak.
Yeah good thought. The yellow line is the primer line btw. I might do that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page