Tecumseh 8hp stalls or surges under load - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 12-26-2015, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 2
Tecumseh 8hp stalls or surges under load

I have a tecumseh hmsk80. Starts fine, runs great under most loads. This model TEC has a spring on the throttle lever that runs to the governor (just FYI). If I give it a chore (a little deeper snow, 12in instead of 6in, etc) it will do one of the following:
  1. A sort of stall/surge dance wherein it kinda surges as it slows to a stall and dies.
  2. Or, if I back off the load, here is the interesting part: it surges and surges and will not stop until I lower the throttle half way, then raise it back up - good to go again.

I suspect governor settings (or linkage?), but not sure how to fix. Some reading suggests it could be the carb main jet, but I've already cleaned it (might not be adjusted right I suppose, this is the one where the screw is at the based under the bowl).

Thoughts? Anyone have this happen to them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 12-26-2015, 12:11 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
1 of the guru's for that engine will show up here sooner or later. anyhoo ALOHA from the paradise city.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #3 of 21 Old 12-26-2015, 12:31 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
to the forum Roachslayer

Was this the problem you had to start with that you removed the carb for cleaning to solve or is this new since cleaning the carb ??

Even though you've tried to clean it there might still be something you missed in the carb and it's still a bit gummed up.
It sounds like it's not getting enough fuel which can be from a restriction at the out of the fuel tank or the fuel line deteriorating so badly inside it's choking off flow or a bad fuel shut off that's not opening all the way or restricted/clogged fuel filter. I'd pull the line at the carb and make sure it's flowing out of there nice and strong.

If you have good flow then it's likely something still causing a restriction in the carb. You're sure you reconnected the linkages correctly ??

You can get a whole new carb for about 12 bucks shipped from Ebay if you have the one I think you do. Just ordered one for my Snapper 10HP. It's just to cheap new to mess with cleaning. (Will hang on to the old one).

Please post your full engine ID numbers.

Genuine Tecumseh 632370 Carburetor

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #4 of 21 Old 12-26-2015, 03:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 4
stalling motor

I had issues with surging motors before....I usually google donyboy73 on youtube.

usually find a video fixing your small engine problem

Can always gear down and blow snow slower if you're stalling.

Last edited by SumDumJerk; 12-26-2015 at 03:11 PM.
post #5 of 21 Old 12-26-2015, 03:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 271
Thanks (Received): 61
Likes (Given): 153
Likes (Received): 75
Just two cents from another dummy: My recent experience with 2-strokes with surging is that the air/fuel mixture is too lean. (For instance if you buy a jet ski in Reno and try to run it on the river at 23', it will surge. Way to test, is to see if it surges with choke on a little. If it stops the surging, adjust the idle and high speed jet (screw out) to stop the surging.

There are true gurus here which hopefully can refine or contradict with my analysis.
post #6 of 21 Old 12-26-2015, 03:23 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 82
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
For this, I suspect your fuel mixture may be off a bit. If you have a jet adjustment screw on the bottom of your carb bowl, try turning it slowly in one direction to see if it clears up the surge. If not, try it in the other direction.
post #7 of 21 Old 12-26-2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 2
Given the fact that it runs and blows 6-8 inches snow at medium forward speed like butter, I'd say it is not a fuel issue (not ruling it out, just evaluating probability). It only stalls when hitting the older snow (more compact). I would expect an engine to stall and die if I truly hit unmovable snow and halted drive train, but not this odd surging thing, right?

I took the carb apart just out of personal policy when buying a used machine - open it up, clean it out. But it was pristine in there. Cleaned it and blew compressed air anyway for good measure.

I suspected governor as soon as I saw the fact that it would surge and more specifically recover after brining it down to half throttle, then back to full. BTW, I cannot floor it... I have to bring it slowly up to full speed or it stalls. I have see the above video and others, tinkered with it, still not quite sure why I haven't been able to resolve it yet.
post #8 of 21 Old 12-26-2015, 03:36 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 6
Thanks (Received): 39
Likes (Given): 36
Likes (Received): 91
Lean, back out the main jet adjustment. If all the way out something is restricted/clogged.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #9 of 21 Old 12-26-2015, 03:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
+1^^ ...machine sounds thirsty

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #10 of 21 Old 12-26-2015, 04:12 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 591
Garage
^^+2.....fatten up on the fuel.

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page