LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 12-26-2015, 03:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Old Ariens Auger Gear Case Repair

I have a 1971 24 Ariens snow blower with a model 910995 snow thrower assembly. I am trying to repair the auger gear case. The roll pin holding the helicon gear to the front axle shattered. I am at the last stages of dis-assembly and it looks like I need to back the pinion shaft out of the gear case so I can then reinstall the front axle with the helicon gear re-attached to it into the gear case first then push the pinion shaft back in place engaging the gears. I have unscrewed and removed the adjustment plug. The adjustment plug provides the correct amount of load on the bearing assembly. Where Im stuck is how to free the bearing assembly from the housing so I can slide the Pinion Shaft out of the way. On the inside of the housing is a snap ring holding that end of the bearing assembly in place. The auger side has nothing. Based on the assembly illustration it looks like with the way the bearing tapers are setup that I need to remove the snap ring and push the axle further in so I can access the bearing spacer and drive out its roll pin. But it also looks like the inside bearing cup will need to push out as well. Not sure if that will happen very easily. If all that can be removed then the bearing assembly parts can be slid off the pinion shaft and pinion shaft can be slide it out of the auger gear case. I am not having any luck getting the snap ring off. Its in a very tight location. Does anyone have any tips on how to remove this? Also anyone know of a better way? Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Attached are some pictures. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ariens 910995.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	69450   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture3.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	69458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture2.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	69466  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-26-2015, 03:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 36
did you look at this thread it may help. I did not have to remove the snap ring. I went by this thread as I never pulled one before..https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...sassembly.html
post #3 of 9 Old 12-26-2015, 03:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 35
I'm not positive but I did one some time ago and as I remember, you unscrew the retainer, then just yank the shaft and bearings out. I don't remember there being any trick to it. Looking at the diagram, it seems that way too.

'77 Ariens 924032 "Brick House" Re-Powered with a TEC 10HP and oversize auger pulley
post #4 of 9 Old 12-26-2015, 04:08 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thank you. No I did not see that thread. Some good pictures and descriptions there. I was confining my search to just my model number.

Based on the description it looks like with some brute force it should pull out of the gear case. My concern is the bearing race will need to come with it which could potentially destroy the bearing and the race if you are using a lot of force.

Even better though I see a tip in that thread saying you can bang in the new roll pin by putting the punch through one of the drain/fill plug holes. I just did a quick check and it looks like it all lines up. If I can do it that way then the dis-assembly of the bearing assembly won't be necessary.

Thanks so much.
post #5 of 9 Old 12-27-2015, 01:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 35
I wouldn't worry about the bearing too much. They are tough. I'd clamp a BIG Vise Grips to the shaft and whack it with a hammer to try and draw the shaft/bearing out. Or you could put the shaft in a vise and hammer the housing with a block of wood. Try and keep the force straight.

'77 Ariens 924032 "Brick House" Re-Powered with a TEC 10HP and oversize auger pulley
post #6 of 9 Old 12-27-2015, 01:08 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 279
Take good measurement of that bearing in case you would need to replace it. You should be able to find a substitute if the OEM part numbers lead to a dead end. A place like Berry Bearing can match it up based on measurements. Good luck! Nice machine too...

post #7 of 9 Old 12-27-2015, 04:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
Those tapered roller bearings are common sizes. I replaced mine. I forget what the part number was right now though. Yes, easiest thing might be just put the new pin in through the plug hole. I would only mess with the pinion shaft if you are replacing the seal on it. That might prove difficult though, since it really should be removed from the impeller side. I did mine from the bearing side, but that ruined the bearings taking them apart.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-27-2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Here is an update. I took the easier route, not disassembling the bearings. I was able to drive the roll pin back into the axle going through the fill plug. Nice and easy! Was doing great until I accidentally broke the bearing apart in back of the auger/impeller housing while assembling. Oh well, just ordered a replacement bearing.

This is my backup machine, 7 HP, 24". Great for smaller snow amounts and its narrower swath scrapes the driveway very clean. My main machine is a 1973 Ariens 8 HP, 32". Both great machines.

Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate all the info and advice.
post #9 of 9 Old 12-27-2015, 09:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 197
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 251
If you 'accidentally' broke the impeller bearing there must not have been anything left of it.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page