post #1 of 10 Old 12-27-2015, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
1971 ariens sno thro 7 problem

Good evening all!
I acquired a 71 sno thro 7 from a neighbor that is in good running order. I am not terribly sure on how the clutches operate for the tractor and auger. Both worked earlier today, and I put it on a truck and moved it, and the auger wont work. The lever doesn't seem to move anything. Anyone have ideaS?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-28-2015, 03:02 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 399
Pretty late on that side of the pond, might have to wait until morning for someone more familiar to chime in... All I can think is something must have come loose/fallen out in transport?

This manual covers your machine, might provide some clues in the meantime anyhow. Hope it helps.

Edit: Oops here's the correct one:

http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/stoi-71.pdf

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Yanmar Ronin; 12-28-2015 at 10:23 PM. Reason: Corrected the link so as not to cause confusion.
post #3 of 10 Old 12-28-2015, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 517
Thanks (Received): 685
Likes (Given): 3898
Likes (Received): 1497
Garage
Pull the belt cover and see if the belt came off the pulleys, belt broke or the handle isn't connected to the idler that tensions the best to engage the auger.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-28-2015, 08:58 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 278
Also note if the engine has a single shaft with 2 belts or has 2 shafts with a single belt......typically there is a cable that runs from either handle to tension the belt against the pulley

post #5 of 10 Old 12-28-2015, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 356
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by colsanders View Post
Good evening all!
I am not terribly sure on how the clutches operate for the tractor and auger.
Two levers on the side:

the larger one on the left is the "tractor clutch", it turns the transmission (power to the wheels) on and off. (also called the "engine clutch" in some manuals)

the smaller one on the right is the "Sno-thro clutch", it turns the augers on and off. (also called the "thrower clutch" in some manuals..Ariens tweaked the names over time)
They can be used in three positions:

1.) In this position:

both are off..
if the engine is running, the augers will not be turning, and the wheels wont turn..(even if you put it in gear)
Thats the "neutral" position, and the position the machine is usually left in when parked..i call it the "down and out" position, and I check for "down and out" when I start the engine. "down" because the larger lever is down, and "out" when the snowblower is facing out the garage door, ready for action, and the smaller auger lever is pointing "out" the door.

2.) In this position:

The opposite of position 1, both are "on"..wheels turning under power, *and* the augers spinning..the normal position when using the machine to blow snow. you engage the auger lever first, then the larger tractor clutch..the machine still wont move as long as the ""shift control lever" on the handlebar is in neutral.

3.) In this position:

the transmission is "on" but the augers are turned off.
This position can be used to wheel the machine around, engine running, wheels turning under power, but *without* the augers spinning.

To use the machine, check that both are "off"

As you stand at the machine, in "operator position", your right hand is at the "shift control lever", make sure that is in Neutral.

start the engine..
Once the engine is running, turn the smaller "Sno-thro clutch" lever "in"..then move the tractor clutch "up"..the augers will start spinning, but the machine still wont move forward, because its in neutral.

On the left handlebar, squeeze the "clutch operating handle"..while its squeezed, move the machine into gear..you can start out in any speed. Let go of the "clutch operating handle" on the left handlebar, and you are off! machine is moving, augers are spinning, ready to throw snow..

On the 1960 to 1972 Ariens machines, the machine will run *without* the operator holding in the lever! if you let go of the handlebars completely, the machine will continue to happily scurry along all by itself..pressing in the lever on the left handlebar makes it stop, letting go makes it run..This was an obvious safety issue! so it was reversed starting in 1973, then you had to manually hold it down to make it run...On the older machines that will move by themselves, just be smart about it..never step in the front of the machine when the engine is running, and never use the snowblower if any other people, children, or pets are outside in the area..(that goes for any snowblower or mower of course)

1971 Owners manual:
http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/stoi-71.pdf

10,000 series parts and service manual:
http://apache.ariens.com/manuals/prm-10000.pdf

Scot

Last edited by sscotsman; 12-28-2015 at 09:31 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks colsanders thanked for this post
Likes colsanders liked this post
post #6 of 10 Old 12-28-2015, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Scot, Thank you for the information! I checked it out after work today. I took the belt cover off. When I fired it up, turned the auger lever, it didn't seem to do anything. It doesn't engage the auger. It turns, and seems to lock into the "on" position, but doesnt turn the arm that its supposed to?
post #7 of 10 Old 12-28-2015, 09:21 PM

Location: nova scotia-south shore - ave annual snowfall 199.4 cm ( 78.5 ")
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 73
Thanks (Received): 157
Likes (Given): 372
Likes (Received): 602
Garage
did you happen to engage the blower attachment with the belt engaged ? i.e.....you had power to the wheels ? sounds like you have to remove the bucket and have a look .

24 " 1967? Ariens Sno thro
28 " Ariens Sno Tek
Toro CCR ss
1966 Gravely LI Walk behind with dog eater

post #8 of 10 Old 12-29-2015, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 356
Likes (Given): 151
Likes (Received): 795
Quote:
Originally Posted by colsanders View Post
Scot, Thank you for the information! I checked it out after work today. I took the belt cover off. When I fired it up, turned the auger lever, it didn't seem to do anything. It doesn't engage the auger. It turns, and seems to lock into the "on" position, but doesnt turn the arm that its supposed to?
did you engage the auger lever *and* engage the tractor lever as well? both need to be "on"..both should be in this position for regular operation:

Scot

post #9 of 10 Old 12-29-2015, 11:09 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I figured it out. The piece that engages the pulley to the auger stuck when i had turned it off last. I sprayed some blaster on it, and a couple minutes later it was free and operational again!

Two more concerns: The throttle does not stay in place, i'm wondering if it needs a new govenor spring. Second, I can get it to go into all gears forward, but I cant seem to get it into reverse. Any thoughts?
post #10 of 10 Old 12-29-2015, 11:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 26
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 98
I would check the bolt that holds the clutch rod at the ball joint. Outside the rear portion of tractor body on the left. You'll see it. Mine got a bit loose a couple of years ago and it caused a problem for me with neutral and reverse.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page