LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-29-2015, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
adjustable carb wonder...

soo 10HP tec.. adjustable ebay cheapo replacement carb.. last year ran fine.. this year.. surging..

all summer long had no gas either in the tank.. or the carb (ran dry, then drained by removing and replacing bowl) im hoping its an adjustment.. main jet i can stall the engine by going lean.. but going rich.. hmm feels like i could unscrew the jet before it stalls so i dont dare richen up more to see IF itl stall.. its still surging then.. doesnt seem to be throwing out black-ish smoke yet either.. could the secondary jet be way off?? or am i looking at a dirty carb already??

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
2015 Columbia 420cc 28in 3xHD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-29-2015, 06:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Received): 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty013 View Post
soo 10HP tec.. adjustable ebay cheapo replacement carb.. last year ran fine.. this year.. surging..

all summer long had no gas either in the tank.. or the carb (ran dry, then drained by removing and replacing bowl) im hoping its an adjustment.. main jet i can stall the engine by going lean.. but going rich.. hmm feels like i could unscrew the jet before it stalls so i dont dare richen up more to see IF itl stall.. its still surging then.. doesnt seem to be throwing out black-ish smoke yet either.. could the secondary jet be way off?? or am i looking at a dirty carb already??
if you cant get over rich with the adjustment there could be a couple of issues. I would remove the bowl and make sure the main jet is clear. you should be able to run a thin wire through the jet or you can remove and do the same. It could also be a vacuum leak but probably not. Another could be a clogged tank vent, try running the engine with the fuel cap cracked or removed and see it that helps.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-29-2015, 06:34 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
Even thought it's new it could also be a mis-adjusted float. Might have been bumped out of position in shipping. Made it last year but ... Just not enough fuel in the bowl to allow it to get overly rich.

I have one on the way for my 10hp Snapper and now I'll have to remember to check mine over before installing.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-29-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
carlB vacuum leak as in the primer bulb and hose right?? i replaced the hose last year but the bulb hmm...
the cap doesnt change a thing though so it isnt the issue..

and when you speak of cleaning out the main jet.. just removing essentially the bowl nut and cleaning it up .. no dissassembly of anything else on the carb if im understanding.. which brings me to kiss4... checking the float.. any easy way of doing this with the carb on the machine?? im guessing not right?

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
post #5 of 8 Old 12-30-2015, 08:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Received): 67
primer bulb wont cause a vacuum leak but a loose bolt on the carb would. As far as the jet is concerned if you remove the bowl you should be able to run a piece of thin wire up through the jet and clean out any debris that may have gotten lodged in there. you will be able to see the end of the wire if you look down the throat carb with the choke open. if you cant do that you can remove the jet with the proper size flat blade screwdriver and then clean it.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-03-2016, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
ok soo.. new clue watson! i usually fill the gas tank.. turn the fuel on.. and start the blower up.. gives it a chance to warm up while i put things away.. move the cars.. but yesterday.. fill it up and thaught hmm.. turn the fuel on and wait.. oh my!! gas was leaking out fom somewheres! so im gonna double check the fuel hose and carb gasket to see if i can spot any leaks there.. after that im guessing the float is either sinking or the float valve-seat is fubared already..

could say a cracked hose or bowl gasket.. cause my surging?? i never noticed fuel spattering before.. but im not usually very attentive to stuff like that.. i know.. not a good habit

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
post #7 of 8 Old 01-04-2016, 06:55 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 12
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 13
Sounds like you're close to the answer. Check to be sure the float isn't cracked & filled with fuel. See if you can dry the carb & observe where the leak is after opening the gas valve. You might consider buying a second cheapo carb as a backup.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-10-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
ok so fixed! and i hafta say im NOT very proud of myself lol

the leak, i was VERY cold that day, i didnt have any gasline anti freeze, im assuming the float was stuck to th bottom of the bowl (i always run it dry by shutting off the gas supply) when i went to re-try today, no leaking aftr 10 full minutes with the gas valve on and the engine off..

now onto the fix, it started just like normal, full choke, 2 pumps of the primer and 1 good tug on the cord... after digging a trench on the snowbank... just to get it warmed up went to adjust the secondary mix. and boys did it ever sputter! then ran smooth as glass!! so im guessing it had crud around it and passed it when i budged the screw..

so yay!

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page