LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 12-31-2015, 03:08 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Tecumseh H35 won't rev

So I've been working on a ariens 3.5hp 20 in baby 2 stage with the h35. It will idle but if you try to throttle up off idle it falls on its face and dies. Points are adjusted, new spark plug, cleaned carb. I'm down to the Governor link spring being stretched(it is but it shouldn't stop it from reving?) or the condenser maybe? I've worked on more than a couple of these series of motor and got them going but this has me stumped. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 12-31-2015, 06:25 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 17
Likes (Received): 79
check for screen in bottom of tank outlet fitting, if it's blocked, or if fuel filter is blocked. make sure fuel line is not kinked or crushed. go back into carb, check those tiny bleed holes on side of main jet.
it may also be the coil.
as a general rule, change over to Nova 2 ignition i.e. electronic

just say NO to Chinese made ANYTHING !
1967 S-242 Snowbird 4/24
AMF Dynamark Luminaire 5362 8/26 3-stage
Craftsman Drift Breaker 10/32 3-stage
Gilson 55012 8/26 gear drive
Ariens 910010 8/32
Cub Cadet 268 8/26
Yard-Man Snowbird 7040-0 5/22
Ariens 10M-L35 3.5/24
New Holland/Gilson Unitrol 8/26
(2) AMF Polar Bear 7/26 3-stage project/parts machines
post #3 of 6 Old 12-31-2015, 07:21 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 29
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 66
sounds more like a fuel problem to me than a governor problem. What happens if you manually move the governor linkage?
post #4 of 6 Old 12-31-2015, 08:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
+1 on the fuel problem. If it has an adjustable main jet, it might be running too rich or lean...so try adjusting that guy. Is it difficult to start after it crashes and burns?
post #5 of 6 Old 12-31-2015, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
So to fill in some holes from my post last night the main jet has been set to 1.5 turns out. The idle has been tuned by ear. On restart after it dies its one pull with choke. If I try to manually move the throttle it also dies. I had once last night in 15 times that it let me rev it by just moving the butterfly but otherwise it dies. As a side note this is an og carb and its been fighting me by wanting to leak fuel up through the main jet orifice. I played with the float level and it seems to have stopped.
post #6 of 6 Old 12-31-2015, 10:11 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flannelman View Post
So to fill in some holes from my post last night the main jet has been set to 1.5 turns out. The idle has been tuned by ear. On restart after it dies its one pull with choke. If I try to manually move the throttle it also dies. I had once last night in 15 times that it let me rev it by just moving the butterfly but otherwise it dies. As a side note this is an og carb and its been fighting me by wanting to leak fuel up through the main jet orifice. I played with the float level and it seems to have stopped.
I asked if it's difficult to restart to see if you were flooding it by opening the throttle. sounds the opposite (lean); when you open the throttle butterfly, too much air for the amount of fuel being delivered. Side note: the throttle butterfly should be barely off of the idle speed screw at high-speed / no-load.

By adjusting the float height to stop the leak, you may have created (or exacerbated) a lean condition. I believe the service manual indicates an 11/64" float-height above the carb body (using a drill bit).

First things first, address the leaky condition when the float is set to the correct height. when you cleaned the carb, did you use a rebuild kit & check the float to see if it had fluid inside (swish it around by your ear)? The rebuild kit will include a new needle/seat which is probably needed if this is the original (og?) carb. I'd also go ahead and replace the intake gaskets...they're known to suck air when you try to reuse.

edit: if you want to see the guts of that motor, I rebuilt my H35 a few times in my "Lil' Red" thread below

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)

Last edited by classiccat; 12-31-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page