Newbie looking for help with 27 year old - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 12-31-2015, 10:49 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 3
Newbie looking for help with 27 year old

Hey folks,

I've just become the owner of what I believe is a 27 year old Snowblower, marked as a Mastercraft 8-26. Took it from a neighbour who was throwing it away, and decided to use this as an opportunity to learn something. I'm fairly handy but have had little experience with engines.

Model # on this is 318-586-515 which, based on some googling is an MTD machine. It has a Tecumseh engine.

First challenge was getting it to run at all. I removed the carburetor, cleaned it with carb cleaner and some rags, and put it back together. This was my first time doing anything like this so was quite proud of myself . Tested the spark plug (good) and put fresh gas in after draining some old stuff. Few pulls in...and the cord broke. Bah! Luckily it was near the end so was able to take the reel off and fix that without too much trouble.

Bit of fiddling with the knobs and some more pulls and voila, got her running! I managed to clear my driveway and now want to address a few issues I'm hoping somebody can help me with.

1) The Engine does not feel like it's operating at proper RPM. If I put the throttle all the way up it sounds like it is revving way too high. If I put the lever about half way down, it stalls out. In addition, if it is revving too high and I engage the auger and drive, it sounds normal...but drop the load and it's nutbar again. I fully suspect I need to adjust some of the screws on the carburetor...just never done it before so any tips welcome.

2) The worm gear on the long rod that turns the snow chute is not making proper contact with the chute. So if I have the machine on the wrong angle, it doesn't contact it at all and the chute just flops around. This one I suspect is probably just a matter of tightening up some bolt or something at the bottom of the rod....I think.

3) The cover for the carburetor (the sheet metal piece) only had 1 of it's intended 4 screws when I received the machine. During the test run the single screw came out at some point (taking the choke knob with it) and they got ... lost in the snow. So now I have the carb cover just dangling. I want to get new screws to lock this back up but don't have any sense of how to figure out what screws I'd need.

Not really sure if many people would think it makes sense to be trying to get something so old running...but if nothing else it's giving me the opportunity to learn something new.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 12-31-2015, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
to the forum Murraych

If anyone understands you wanting to resurrect an old tired machine, it's US

You'll need to get something that you can actually read the RPMs and it's likely you might need to adjust the governor.
Not sure if this video is the same as your engine but Donyboy73 is the man for small engine and snow blower videos on youtube.

You might need to post a photo of the worm gear. On some the bushing that the rod spins in can be rotated. The hole is offset and as you rotate it you will either make the fit tighter like you need or looser.

You can hit a hardware store or big box store and get a few of whatever size looks about right and just return the un needed ones.
That's the lazy answer as I don't want to go out and pull one and try to see if I can measure it.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-05-2016 at 11:39 AM.
post #3 of 26 Old 12-31-2015, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 61
Thanks (Received): 336
Likes (Given): 148
Likes (Received): 762
Help with a 27 year old?
I think you have the wrong forum for that!

j/k..

But in "snowblower years" 27 years is nothing..
its downright young compared to machines many people here are using..
My two main snowblowers are both 45 years old! and going strong..

of course previous owner care and maintenance is key..
a 10 year old snowblower stored outside for 10 years, with no cover, can be ready for the junkyard..
while a 40 year old snowblower, always stored in the garage and given proper and regular maintenance, can be ready for another 40 years of reliable service..

but overall, 27 years isnt a big deal at all..if the machine has been well cared for.
age alone means nothing..

Scot

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #4 of 26 Old 12-31-2015, 01:47 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the welcome Good to know this is worth the time. I see so many snowblowers basically thrown away that are probably just suffering from a dirty carb (I know I'm guilty of disposing of a number of lawnmowers for probably the same thing...kicking myself now).

The engine in that video looks very much like mine. I'm going to watch it a few times and see where I get. I also looked in another thread where they recommended base settings for the idle screw and ...bottom screw (name escapes me, still learning!) which I'm sure I don't have right.

First trip to the local hardware store was a bust. Screws I got were too small. But, met a guy who claimed he can order me parts for the engine if I get him the model number from the block, so maybe he'll be able to determine the correct screw sizes for me as well

I had a quick look at the bottom of the rod for the chute, and yeah, I'll take a picture and show you what I mean. I can't see an obvious way to get it to stay where I need it.
post #5 of 26 Old 12-31-2015, 03:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 9
Thanks (Received): 24
Likes (Given): 11
Likes (Received): 36
Since you said your snowblower had a Tecumseh engine, check for your model and serial numbers, the go here:
Tecumseh Horizontal Shaft Engines
Find your engine and open the corresponding link up.
You'll find illustrated parts diagrams with parts lists & number.
Most screws listed as parts have the shaft size and thread number given.

Also, almost everyone has a jar, can, bucket, box, or something with old hardware......screws, bolts, etc. Fish around for something that looks like it might be the right shank size and carefully and gently see if it will thread into the fixing location. If you find something that threads, then use a small finish nail or piece of wire to find the length you need.

My guess you'll likely will need something like 8x32 or 10x32, probably 1/2" or 3/4" in length. If you have the choice, you might want to opt for something hex head rather than a screw head. You can supply a little more fastening force with a small socket or wrench than with a screwdriver. Your local hardware store should be able to supply any common fastener you might need.

2003 Toro 826 LE Power Max
1978 Yardman Snowbird 31600-9 (5hp x 24")

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !

Last edited by ztnoo; 12-31-2015 at 07:20 PM.
post #6 of 26 Old 12-31-2015, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Went outside to play with the idle screw and main jet screw (thats the bottom one on the carb, right?). Started idle at 1 turn out and main at 1 1/2. I adjusted the screw on the throttle lever to lower the revs at the high end and it now sounds "normal" to me (i.e not like it's going to explode). However the throttle seems really really touchy, and I can't run it with the choke all the way open (it stalls). If I lower the throttle half way down it stalls, and it's finicky to get started again.

Basic engine science is that you need the right mixture of fuel and air, right? If I open the choke and it stalls, that means too much air, which would imply not enough fuel, correct? Which in theory would mean I would need to adjust my main screw out further?

(I thought this part would be simpler )
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Kiss4aFrog liked this post
post #7 of 26 Old 12-31-2015, 11:25 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 142
Likes (Received): 291
For what it's worth, theres a couple free smart phone apps that use the exhaust note signature, to measure RPM. I can not speak for their accuracy or reliability, but it might at least get you in the ball park, in a pinch.

Garage:
MTD....2 stage(modern 8.5 HP) not my favorite
Honda HS622 TA-B - acquired at an auction- nice machine for it's size.
Toro S-140- Picked it up on trash day... it runs, sort of.
Yamaha YS 240 TB "Ricky" latest Craigslist find- on the bench now.
post #8 of 26 Old 01-01-2016, 09:16 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 8
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Received): 5
Upload a photo of your new snowblower ! :-)

Lawrence
post #9 of 26 Old 01-01-2016, 09:38 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 2
murraych,

Here is a link to the Tecumseh Technical Manual on this website.
https://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum...-4-stroke.html

It should help.
post #10 of 26 Old 01-01-2016, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraych View Post

Basic engine science is that you need the right mixture of fuel and air, right? If I open the choke and it stalls, that means too much air, which would imply not enough fuel, correct? Which in theory would mean I would need to adjust my main screw out further?

(I thought this part would be simpler )

You are correct.
If taking the choke off causes a warmed up engine to stall it's starving for fuel. It could be that you need to open the screw a bit or it could be a float set too low, the passage partially blocked (even if cleaned once) and there's always the chance you have bad gas or some water is sitting at the bottom of the float bowl too.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page