Craftsman (MTD) Transmission blown Part 1733972 - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 01-11-2016, 03:18 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Craftsman (MTD) Transmission blown Part 1733972

Hi Guys I have this nice snowblower and it seemed like the engine was seized it turned out to be the sealed transmission unit. What a crazy set-up. 1st I can's seem to remove the wheel axel that holds the two large gears and they are made of plastic. Next the complete sealed transmission is $300 US that will be like $600 Canadian with taxes.

Has anyone had the same problem and can anyone share a few tips on how to remove the axel as a 1st step. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 01-11-2016, 04:46 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 511
Thanks (Received): 682
Likes (Given): 3849
Likes (Received): 1479
Garage
to the forum edgenet

I'm not coming up with anything using that part number.
What is the machines model number ??

You might want to try Sears Canada Parts 1-800-4 MY HOME

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 Old 01-11-2016, 05:46 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 48
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 44
Black plastic transmission made by GT that uses a variable split pulley/snowmobile clutch? They're junk. I lost track of how many we replaced under warranty a few years ago. Believe it or not the plastic aspect of the transmission is rarely the problem though. It's the cone clutches and ball bearings that fly apart. Sometimes those split pulleys will fly apart too, but it's a lot less common.
post #4 of 19 Old 01-11-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgenet View Post

Hi Guys I have this nice snowblower and it seemed like the engine was seized it turned out to be the sealed transmission unit. What a crazy set-up. 1st I can's seem to remove the wheel axel that holds the two large gears and they are made of plastic. Next the complete sealed transmission is $300 US that will be like $600 Canadian with taxes.

Has anyone had the same problem and can anyone share a few tips on how to remove the axel as a 1st step. Thanks
Here is the link to the parts from Sears, also note the axle is assembled in a middle to allow each side to spin independently also note the axel is covered by a plastic tube. The tube covers the axel and can not see how to split the axel. How do I remove the axel ???

http://www.sears.ca/deploy/repair-ma...1_BOM_2011.pdf

Last edited by edgenet; 01-11-2016 at 07:52 PM.
post #5 of 19 Old 01-11-2016, 07:55 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94EG8 View Post
Black plastic transmission made by GT that uses a variable split pulley/snowmobile clutch? They're junk. I lost track of how many we replaced under warranty a few years ago. Believe it or not the plastic aspect of the transmission is rarely the problem though. It's the cone clutches and ball bearings that fly apart. Sometimes those split pulleys will fly apart too, but it's a lot less common.
Here is a picture of the transmission. My other problem is how to remove the axel so I can get to the tranny. I am fixing these for a customer and I do not want to call him till I have some straight answers and suggestions on what to do with this Pig.

http://www.sears.ca/deploy/repair-ma...1_BOM_2011.pdf
post #6 of 19 Old 01-11-2016, 09:52 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
You will have to split the unit in half and then remove the pulley so that you can then pull the trans/auger assembly for final disassembly to get to the trans. soemtimes those pulleys and impellers can get rusted to the shaft...... it can be a bear! Lots of PB Blaster and sometimes heat may be needed. Good luck!

You might order the bearings while your at it - they can get hurt in the process......plus it's nice to know they are good

post #7 of 19 Old 01-11-2016, 11:44 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 133
Likes (Given): 201
Likes (Received): 283
Quote:
Here is a picture of the transmission. My other problem is how to remove the axel so I can get to the tranny. I am fixing these for a customer and I do not want to call him till I have some straight answers and suggestions on what to do with this Pig.
Since I don't think I can help you with your repair, I will try to offer a copy of a picture I think you are referring to in the 96 page document you linked to.
Is this what you were asking about?
post #8 of 19 Old 01-12-2016, 12:01 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
You don't remove the axle to get the tranny, you remove the engine, take the whole top plate off. It's been a few years since I did one of these but I'm pretty sure you can leave the engine bolted to the plate. Then simply unbolt the 4 bolts going through the sides of the machines that thread into the brackets bolted to the transmission, you can then lift the transmission with brackets still attached out.

I changed a ton of these when I was doing small engine repair and I could do one in about an hour and twenty minutes start to finish if I remember correctly. If you're feeling brave split the trans when you have it out and see what happened. Sometimes you can replace the bearings if they've flown apart and it'll work for a while. Rev C was the current revision when I was fixing these and they were just as bad as Rev A as far as I could tell. These things just flat out suck now matter how you slice it and a new one will fly apart too, it's just a matter of when.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks toroused thanked for this post
post #9 of 19 Old 01-12-2016, 10:39 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
What is the common failure point on those?

post #10 of 19 Old 01-12-2016, 06:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
When I was working on them I think models that used that transmission had been out for a season. Some of them were on their 3rd transmission. It starts with the machine not moving when the auger housing digs in, then after a while they just all fly apart internally.

I always found it interesting that as soon as people saw plastic transmission they assumed junk, which is absolutely true, but as I stated earlier it actually had nothing to do with the transmission being made out of plastic. It was mostly the steel bearings and the cone clutches that were problematic.

Last edited by 94EG8; 01-12-2016 at 06:42 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes bad69cat liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in