Toro 824 Closed Circuit (Won't Run) Regardless Of Safety Switch - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 824 Closed Circuit (Won't Run) Regardless Of Safety Switch

First post here. As a native Minnesotan, I feel a deep rooted connection with everything snow...including my Toro 824. Bought it in late fall 2014. Worked GREAT last year. Stored it properly and put it away.

Took it out this year to clear the first snowfall...nothing. Would. Not. Start. Safety key in, fresh gas. Tried both pull and electric start for 15 minutes. Nothing. Hmm. Tried feathering the throttle/choke to get it at least to sputter, or something...nothing.

I checked the safety switch (this one has the plastic key you insert). Switch is good. Ohm meter shows good circuit completion with the key removed, and wide open circuit with the key in. Great.

Just for grins, I tested the two terminals coming from the engine compartment that plug into the switch....circuit completed. Uh oh.

Am I misunderstanding something? Isn't there supposed to be an open circuit for the engine to run with these safety switches? What could possibly closing the circuit with the switch removed entirely? Any help/insight would be MUCH appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 08:24 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Received): 52
Try the old fashion way. Put the throttle to run. Pull the plug and put it on the coil wire. Ground the plug and pull, to see if you have spark. Make sure the carb is getting gas, also.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GAR liked this post
post #3 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 08:29 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 136
Likes (Given): 202
Likes (Received): 286
Motor City is right. Make sure it is a no-spark issue first by looking for spark.
It may be an interlock (ignition) issue, but lets rule out things like bad gasoline first.
post #4 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, no spark. Zero. I'm guessing this is due to the fact that something is grounding out/completing the cut off circuit? Again, this machine is only a little over a year old...not sure why the issues so soon. Perhaps corrosion?
post #5 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 09:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 278
I doubt it - sound like bad ignition module or another safety switch perhaps?

post #6 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 09:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercellogeek View Post
Thanks for the suggestions! Unfortunately, no spark. Zero. I'm guessing this is due to the fact that something is grounding out/completing the cut off circuit? Again, this machine is only a little over a year old...not sure why the issues so soon. Perhaps corrosion?
Thanks
I'm not that familiar with models that new.
Wow. Is the plastic key really the only thing attached to the coil leads?
https://www.toro.com/en/parts/partdetails/?id=44745
post #7 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 09:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 278
No the plastic keys only function is to allow the ignition to get grounded when you pull it. It should create an open to ground installed - which he has proven it works so far.

post #8 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 09:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
yeah, Sorry. I was just commenting that there is nothing else to troubleshoot. See page 18
post #9 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 10:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 49
Likes (Received): 52
Try another spark plug. Its not common, but their are defective ones, every now and then. Go get an NGK equivalent, of whats in the machine. Its a cheap check. After that I would start checking the coil. You can check continuity with an ohm meter. Your looking for it to be open. It could have failed when it cooled down from the last time you ran it.

Ariens ST11528LE
Honda HS720

Last edited by Motor City; 01-14-2016 at 10:27 PM.
post #10 of 15 Old 01-14-2016, 11:47 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by ubercellogeek View Post

I checked the safety switch (this one has the plastic key you insert). Switch is good. Ohm meter shows good circuit completion with the key removed, and wide open circuit with the key in. Great.

Just for grins, I tested the two terminals coming from the engine compartment that plug into the switch....circuit completed. Uh oh.

Am I misunderstanding something? Isn't there supposed to be an open circuit for the engine to run with these safety switches? What could possibly closing the circuit with the switch removed entirely? Any help/insight would be MUCH appreciated!
Do you have a throttle control on that machine, and if so, does it has a kill position at the very end of travel at the low speed end? Could have a ground short there as well if it's equipped.

One of the wires to the key switch should go to ground, and it you follow it to its source, you should find one screwed to the engine block someplace.

The other wire should go to the ignition module and should NOT be grounded. Trace that one as far as you can before it goes into the engine and look for someplace where its rubbing on metal and the insulation is gone.
If you can't find the short, then let the dealer do the warranty thing.

Could be a bad ignition module, or a short in the kill wire where you cannot get at it without starting to take stuff apart, which will probably void your warranty.

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page