LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 01-16-2016, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Question '68 Ariens pull chord question

Hey I'm new, thanks to Scott's Website I was able to find this great site. Basically in Winter when I'm laid off from paving I shovel this year I decided to get into the snow blowing business and do everything on my own. Got my first Ariens last year it was a friends grandfathers 1968 6 HP Deluxe. Works great everything original but when I pull the chord every time it gets stuck half way on the first pull and then the second pull is fine and it always starts on that second pull. I later Purchased a 1973 8 HP Ariens Deluxe, chord was replaced on it at some point and numerous other things and runs great so I use this as my main machine. I have a 1974 6 HPD also that some guy considered "Junk" That will be a summer restore project which I will film and put on here, but currently use it as a parts machines. I would like to keep the 68 as original as possible is their a way to fix or adjust the chord? Or possibly swap it with the 74? Sorry if this is a newb question I'm used to working on Mack's lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 01-16-2016, 10:32 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 99
Thanks (Received): 156
Likes (Given): 317
Likes (Received): 623
A shot of WD or PB blaster on the recoil's center might help. Or, you can tighten the spring one turn by 1) Remove Recoil. 2) Pull rope all the way out. 3) Clamp recoil spool with vicegrips. 4) Cut knot on recoil rope and remove it. 5)while holding recoil spool, remove vicegrips, and turn the spool 1 revolution tighter. 6) clamp spool with vicegrips, thread rope back through, and tie a new knot. Done!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes classiccat liked this post
post #3 of 15 Old 01-16-2016, 11:09 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
^^^ Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) works great as well...and --maybe i'm weird-- I like the smell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('72 Sears 3520)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #4 of 15 Old 01-16-2016, 12:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Alright def trying some blaster at the recoil center. On the way to the shop now for something else. I put MMO in the spark plug hole when I first got the machine but I am going to do it again today, do some open pulls. Good Ideas guys, if I have to I'll try tightening the spring? I'm just worried by the word tightening because the thing feels pretty **** tight already haha but I can always give it a shot.
post #5 of 15 Old 01-17-2016, 06:50 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Helped... sometimes lol. Once and a while now I'm getting first good pulls, but now if I don't get it started in that first good pull then it gets stuck. Didn't try cutting the knot yet though. Maybe something inside the engine?
post #6 of 15 Old 01-17-2016, 07:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 177
Likes (Given): 1636
Likes (Received): 381
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaboog749 View Post
Helped... sometimes lol. Once and a while now I'm getting first good pulls, but now if I don't get it started in that first good pull then it gets stuck. Didn't try cutting the knot yet though. Maybe something inside the engine?
not exactly the same as your engine but similar concept of how to tighten that spring

('72 Sears 3520)

('89 Toro 824)

('70 Allis-Chalmers Tracker-7)

('80 Toro 724)

('95 Ariens ST724) --> Sold

('71 Ariens 910965 SnoThro 524)
post #7 of 15 Old 01-17-2016, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by classiccat View Post
^^^ Marvel Mystery Oil (MMO) works great as well...and --maybe i'm weird-- I like the smell

Aren't we all But that's a different forum entirely

The video is on a Briggs but there pretty much all the same. Here are some articles on how to: https://www.google.com/search?q=tecu...er+cord+repair

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
post #8 of 15 Old 01-17-2016, 10:40 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 238
Thanks (Received): 280
Likes (Given): 2851
Likes (Received): 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by mastaboog749 View Post
now if I don't get it started in that first good pull then it gets stuck.
After it gets stuck, how do you free it up to try another pull? Is it the rope being pulled out and won't wind back up or is the recoil binding and won't allow the rope to be pulled out? Does your motor have electric start and if so, does the engine crank over or does it lock up also?

Will the engine turn over easily with the spark plug removed and using the pull starter?

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)
Toro 421-E (38585) 2008 (New Owner)
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Last edited by Grunt; 01-17-2016 at 10:42 AM.
post #9 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Grunt the recoil is fine it won't let me pull the chord out, at least the first pull. That's the first pull of every time i try to start, so let's say that good second pull that goes all the way through if it doesn't start then I am going to get stuck half way on the next first pull. It's just an annoying pain in the ass. Been out snowblowing the last two days so I'm going to watch these videos and see if it helps,
post #10 of 15 Old 01-19-2016, 07:32 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Yeah none of this helped, to be honest I have TO much recoil. Like that first half pull i get the machine rips the chord out of my hand and sucks it right back in. Maybe just a brand new rope and recoil? Or can this be a problem inside the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page