LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old 01-18-2016, 10:56 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 0
Steering Cable Honda HSS1332A

I've recently acquired a Honda HSS1332A snow blower and promptly backed it into a wall and broke a steering lever. I got a replacement part and thought (since I've worked on my motorbikes for years) that I could simply replace the handle/perch assembly (it comes as a unit) and be back in business in no time....well, not so fast as it seems. I've not been able to see how to disassemble the cable from the perch and have taken my time because the entire assembly is made of plastic and I don't want to put too much pressure on the cable/perch end and make matters worse. I've checked the owners and shop manuals without any luck. Anybody have a clue how to do this....?

Edit.. after looking at the way the cable attaches to the machine housing, I'm now thinking I need to take the cable loose there releasing the tension so I can remove the other end from the broken lever at the perch...this making more sense?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 01-18-2016, 11:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 46
Thanks (Received): 35
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 61
If you look inside the replacement part hole, do you see any clues as to how the cable attaches to the handle assembly?
post #3 of 25 Old 01-18-2016, 11:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowG View Post
If you look inside the hole, do you see any clues as to how the cable attaches to the handle assembly?
Yes, it's a typical baton end that one commonly sees with cables. The problem is that it's not possible to release the cable tension at the perch to remove the baton OR, at least, I've not been able to figure out how to without breaking the hub pictured above.

That's why I now suspect that I need to take the cable loose from the other end to relieve the tension.....but just not sure.

I love Honda, but at least in my frame of reference this is strange.
post #4 of 25 Old 01-19-2016, 02:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 23
Thanks (Received): 281
Likes (Given): 40
Likes (Received): 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by hubilado View Post

Edit.. after looking at the way the cable attaches to the machine housing, I'm now thinking I need to take the cable loose there releasing the tension so I can remove the other end from the broken lever at the perch...this making more sense?

I had a good discussion of this with our tech guy who's in the process of finalizing the shop manual. He's getting me some images/CAD art that will explain the details

The short version is to loosen the two lock nuts where the cable passes through the frame; there's a slot in the frame for the narrow, inner part of the cable to drop down, which will then allow enough slack in the outer jacket to let you disconnect the crimped ball at the lever end of the cable.

Stand by, hope to have the images in a couple of hours.

- - -
[email protected]
Social Media Consigliere (retired)
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks bwdbrn1 thanked for this post
post #5 of 25 Old 01-19-2016, 03:07 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
THANK YOU Robert! I was kinda on that track, but greatly appreciate the help! Any chance I can get a hold of that Shop manual when it's finished? I don't live exactly at the end of the road in Northern New Mexico, but I can see it from here; there's no authorized Honda Snow Blower repair place near me.
post #6 of 25 Old 01-19-2016, 03:17 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
THANK YOU Robert! I was kinda on that track, but greatly appreciate the help! Any chance I can get a hold of that Shop manual when it's finished? I don't live exactly at the end of the road in Northern New Mexico, but I can see it from here; there's no authorized Honda Snow Blower repair place near me.
Yes, Honda will offer them for sale (paper copies) as soon as they are complete. I don't have an ETA, sorry.

- - -
[email protected]

post #7 of 25 Old 01-19-2016, 04:01 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
THANK YOU Robert! I was kinda on that track,
You've got mail. Our tech guy in pubs knocked out a nice procedure I can send you...just need your email.

- - -
[email protected]

post #8 of 25 Old 01-19-2016, 08:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quick update: thanks to Robert ([email protected]), I got the information I needed and was able to fix the broken lever by removing the old perch/lever combination and releasing the cable tension (thanks Robert) so I could exchange with a new perch/lever. All's good again and she's work'n like a champ! This is the first time I've used this forum and I'm impressed, thanks!
post #9 of 25 Old 01-19-2016, 10:43 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 33
Likes (Given): 2
Likes (Received): 54
[email protected] is a huge asset to the Honda community. He's helped me from everything from a SB inquiry to even a oddball question I had with my Honda Genset. If Rob's Boss is reading this ;-0, he deserves the praise

post #10 of 25 Old 11-30-2017, 09:22 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 657
Thanks (Received): 166
Likes (Given): 1033
Likes (Received): 1069
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
You've got mail. Our tech guy in pubs knocked out a nice procedure I can send you...just need your email.
i need this too, Robert, unless it has already been posted here. I have the same problem with a hss928.

thanks.
are the manuals available yet? i already have the shop manuals for all the HS models.

"It Feels Like Beer O'Clock "
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in