Murray Single Stage Discharge Chute Gear issue - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 01-19-2016, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Murray Single Stage Discharge Chute Gear issue

So I have a murray single stage 8.0HP Model 1695885 snow blower

My discharge chute will not stay in one place, it is loose. from what I have learned so far there is a tension plate within the rotation gear part that keeps it in place when you rotate it in position. In my case, once I manually move it left and right it wont stay there. Seems like something is stripped or something has backed out. My question is, what do I need to replace? looks like I have to take the chute off, the cover of the blower and... I am not sure what is next. Do I replace the gear? do I replace what the gear sits on? I have searched and searched, have not found any youtube videos on my single stage snowblower. They are all the dual stage big guys. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

it is the snowthrower that has a manual rotation chute
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-19-2016, 11:30 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 250
Thanks (Received): 296
Likes (Given): 2975
Likes (Received): 550
blakeas. It looks like your Sears\Murray is the same as an MTD 31AS2S5D799 machine. It appears that the chute adjustment spring (item # 12) is what holds your chute in position. My first guess would be that you have some ice or snow build-up around the spring preventing it from applying the needed pressure to the notches under the chute itself which could also have an ice build up. You could remove the chute and see if there is a build up and clear it out. Worse case scenario, you have to replace the spring. I hope this helps.

MTD 247.88780 (31AS2S5D799) - Craftsman Snow Thrower (2010) (Sears) Chute & Handle Assembly Diagram and Parts List | PartsTree.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chute Spring.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	73265  

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989
Toro 721-QZR (38743) 2015 (Hemi Predator Power)

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-19-2016, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
thanks - I thought it might be ice build up. But I took off the chute yesterday and didn't see any ice in there.

Where does that spring sit? underneath the gear? cant tell by the picture
post #4 of 8 Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
If your machine has a gear to move the chute, then it is not the machine I "thought" it was and this drawing does not apply. Could you post a picture of the chute area on "your" machine so we have a better idea what you need? Sorry for the inaccurate info so far.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989

post #5 of 8 Old 01-19-2016, 01:37 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
If your machine has a gear to move the chute, then it is not the machine I "thought" it was and this drawing does not apply. Could you post a picture of the chute area on "your" machine so we have a better idea what you need? Sorry for the inaccurate info so far.
its actually like the machine you sent a picture of

Murray MS55800 (1695886) - Murray 22 Single Stage Snowthrower, CE, 8HP (2010-2011) Chute Rotation Group - Manual (2988905) Diagram and Parts List | PartsTree.com
post #6 of 8 Old 01-19-2016, 02:09 PM

Post Thanks / Like
The chute spring is in a different position from the parts diagram I posted, but it works the same way. The high point of the spring applies pressure to the indents on the chute gear to hold it in position. I still would "guess" there is an ice build up or a weak\broken spring. When you said gear, I started to think you had a crank type handle to rotate the chute like two stage blowers have.

Toro 8/24 (38080) 1989

Last edited by Grunt; 01-19-2016 at 02:13 PM. Reason: Add Info
post #7 of 8 Old 01-19-2016, 02:28 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunt View Post
The chute spring is in a different position from the parts diagram I posted, but it works the same way. The high point of the spring applies pressure to the indents on the chute gear to hold it in position. I still would "guess" there is an ice build up or a weak\broken spring. When you said gear, I started to think you had a crank type handle to rotate the chute like two stage blowers have.
ok, I took the chute off and didn't see any ice build up. guess I am going to have to take the cover off and look if I see the spring.
post #8 of 8 Old 01-19-2016, 02:30 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 279
If you look at that parts tree diagram that spring is just a tensioner spring steel type of spring which sits in a special groove and is held down with a screw. If it's not putting some tension against the chute I assume the spring has sprung or the cavity it sits in has an issue? maybe the stop block has a split in it? Wonder if you could try putting a plastic block of some sort that just rubs agains the chute rather than the factory design spring? Might work better actually.....just a thought

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Grunt liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page