post #1 of 7 Old 01-19-2016, 12:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Toro 1332 stuck in powershift

Hi all,

So I'm officially an adult now (at 30) because I own my first snowblower. So it was only a matter of time before I have my first snowblower problem...

I have a Toro 1332 powershift. It's a beast and was humming along great but while doing the EOD pile of snow, while using powershift, it decided it wanted to stay in powershift mode.

I can still use it, but it's much harder to maneuver and I'm thinking I shouldn't use it in the higher gears. Anybody have any advice or know what the issue is where it won't come out of powershift mode?

Thanks,

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-19-2016, 12:23 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
to the forum John

Does it try to move at all. Were you lifting up on the handle to take some of the weight off when you tried to shift it ??
What is the model and serial number of yours ??

Manual: https://www.torodealer.com/en-US/Pages/partslookup.aspx

BTW, great choice of machine, best snow blower ever made (I might be biased).

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Kiss4aFrog; 01-19-2016 at 12:42 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-19-2016, 12:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 349
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1145
can you shift the handle back????????????? could be the spring broke in the control box. get inside and post some pics or vid of this problem that is presenting itself onto us.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 7 Old 01-19-2016, 02:48 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Frog, yes the snow blower moves..gears 1-4 and reverse all work. I may have been putting some weight on it when I had put it in powershift but I would say it was just in the normal course of manipulating the machine through thick snow.

Below is model# and serial:
model #:38592
Serial: 200000152
Tecumseh engine
Year 2000, based on entering model and serial above into Toro's website

I tried to post pics, but they were too large for the site to upload and I'm not sure how to shrink them.

Powershift, Yes I'm able to move the traction lever out of the Powershift position and change gears. I haven't gotten into it yet, I figured it could be a known issue that a helpful forum member might already know about. Any suggestions on what to look at first, ie A) the control dashboard on the handles, or B) somewhere in the body of the machine?

Thanks
post #5 of 7 Old 01-19-2016, 03:35 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
I'm not sure you understood what Kiss4aFrog was suggesting. Sometimes the powershift part gets weak and you need to lift up on the handlebars taking weight of the wheels so they can reposition to the other location. It's a bit akward lifting and operating the lever at the same time.
I know Toro had a nice document on their website showing all the powershift components at the panel. Popular issue location. I don't have a link handy.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-19-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
dbert, you're probably right. When I get home I'm going to try taking some weight off to see if that helps, but the shifter is not currently in the powershift "slot" on the control board. I'm thinking the issue is something frozen in the control board, because I don't recall seeing the 'latch lever cover' shown in figure 13 of page 41 (pdf page 48) of the document below. I know from last year there is supposed to be a plastic cover in that slot and I don't see it. betting it's stuck.

https://www.toro.com/getpub/6935

Thanks for the help everyone, by the way
post #7 of 7 Old 01-19-2016, 06:10 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 132
Likes (Given): 200
Likes (Received): 283
The document I was remembering was like a supplement for just the powershift control box. I cant find it today and I may have dreamt the whole thing. Some of the photos in the document you linked to include parts of the control panel cut away to see stuff better. There are a lot of widgets and gadgets inside that mechanism. On the powershift I once owned it was just in need of some lubrication, but I know others here found broken springs and such. You may get away with the "spray and pray" method using the spray lube of your choice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page