AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
white smoke

Its a 8 hp Tecumseh. I have cleaned the carburetor
When I start cold with full choke, then slowly rev it up while pushing in the choke white smoke comes out exhaust and it sputters for less than 1/2 min just before I fully rev it up. As soon as it runs at full speed for a another 1/2 minute or so it clears and is fine. When warm, engine runs fine and if I restart while its warm,-no white smoke. I usually start it set at about 1/2 throttle or a little less. My question is what causes the white smoke and sputtering at the end while starting.
Thanks for a response.

Last edited by AL-; 01-19-2016 at 04:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 01-19-2016, 04:54 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 278
Rings are probably worn/loose and it's burning off the oil from the last run...... do a compression test on her.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128 liked this post
post #3 of 16 Old 01-19-2016, 11:40 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 256
How much throttle do you have applied when you start it?
post #4 of 16 Old 01-20-2016, 10:19 AM Thread Starter
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBlowSnow View Post
How much throttle do you have applied when you start it?
A little less than half throttle to start.

I put it at full choke, prime it a couple of times . As soon as it starts I slowly push the choke in and it revs up ok up until suddenly white smoke comes out the exhaust. Then I give some more throttle and this seems to keep it going and clears out the white smoke until it warms/revs more and runs fine.
I haven't a compression tester, but have found an older good quality one in the classified that I plan to pick up by the end of the week.
post #5 of 16 Old 01-23-2016, 12:22 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AL- View Post
A little less than half throttle to start.

I put it at full choke, prime it a couple of times . As soon as it starts I slowly push the choke in and it revs up ok up until suddenly white smoke comes out the exhaust. Then I give some more throttle and this seems to keep it going and clears out the white smoke until it warms/revs more and runs fine.
I haven't a compression tester, but have found an older good quality one in the classified that I plan to pick up by the end of the week.
running rough? water in gas?
An engine will run with water in the gas....back in the 70s (remember the gas crunch?) I had a science teacher that built a water injector for one of his cars to increase the mpg, us kids all thought he was crazy until he brought his Delta88 w/rocket350 to school....don't remember the exactly the numbers but it was something like 18mpg jumped to 25mpg, also I believe it increased the compression.

white smoke - moisture/water, black smoke - gas, blue smoke - oil

.....in my limited experience anyway, as I only tinker
post #6 of 16 Old 01-23-2016, 12:54 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 399
I was thinking water too, maybe just some condensation in the muffler burning off? Does it do it when you start in warm weather?

Sputtering could perhaps be the engine finding its groove from cold, is the plug fresh/clean/gapped?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 16 Old 01-23-2016, 01:53 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 278
Could very well be.... but I would still check compression and watch the oil level. You can also pull the plug and watch it for signs of burning oil. Checking fuel distributions by Spark Plug reading | Spark Plugs | Mastercams Tech Center Cape Town South Africa

post #8 of 16 Old 01-23-2016, 01:53 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 60
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 79
Likes (Received): 124
Garage
I use full throttle to start when cold or hot. All the manufacturers that I am aware of say to use full throttle when starting. As said before, white smoke may be water burning off from ethanol fuel absorbing too much water out of the air or condensation in the engine/exhaust being burned off.

What is the point of using half throttle? Thin oil and a fast engine will distribute oil quickly to the moving parts.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
post #9 of 16 Old 01-23-2016, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Town View Post
I use full throttle to start when cold or hot. All the manufacturers that I am aware of say to use full throttle when starting. As said before, white smoke may be water burning off from ethanol fuel absorbing too much water out of the air or condensation in the engine/exhaust being burned off.

What is the point of using half throttle? Thin oil and a fast engine will distribute oil quickly to the moving parts.

Good luck.
My motor does not start up fast and the oil is thick. I keep it outside in a non-heated shed. I've always thought in cold conditions its better to let any engine warm up slowly. I know its important as far as engine longevity goes to get oil distribution ASP and in cars block heaters help with this problem. Thanks for your input
post #10 of 16 Old 01-23-2016, 08:23 PM Thread Starter
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
I checked the compression and it is 60 , which I understand is normal for this engine as it has a decompression feature to help with starting?
The plug is new/gapped . I started it yesterday and barely a trace of white smoke and it throttled up okay. In warm weather there was no smoke.
I use ethanol free with star-tron
Maybe it is condensation. (White smoke)
This is only the 3rd time I've started it this winter and we have been having week long intervals of warm/cold weather temperatures that are fairly extreme.

Last edited by AL-; 01-23-2016 at 08:33 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in