Tecumseh HSK600 (from Toro Powerlite CCR) Carburetor/Over-fueling Issue - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 01-20-2016, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Tecumseh HSK600 (from Toro Powerlite CCR) Carburetor/Over-fueling Issue

EDIT: I think I might be onto something...
Turning off the motor is flooding the motor. The key kills spark but I just rebuilt this thing and put in all new bushings/bearings --so it is taking a LONG time to "spin down". Its as if I kill spark yet the motor is still turning, sucking fuel into the motor, fouling the plug... which won't let me restart it....

So what do I do? Add a petcock between the tank and the carb and use that as a fuel shutoff to turn the motor off every time rather than using the key? Any other ways to stop air flow other than stick my foot in the rotors??

end edit

Hello,
Thanks for reading and thanks for **ANY** constructive ideas/responses/replies. I've tried everything so I'm open to anything (including buying a new carburetor).

I'm really good with 2 and 4-stroke engines. I've got a bunch of old motorcycles, I've bought almost every power tool I own in "non-running" condition for cheap/free from Craigslist, etc. I'm stumped and it's probably something dumb right in front of me that I'm missing...

I have this Toro CCR Powerlite snow thrower (2-stroke, 3hp Tecumseh) that we bought to cut paths in the back yard for the dog after it snows (because an auger was tearing up the lawn). I bought it for $15 on Craigslist.

Condition when bought was: "not running, my husband and son took it apart and tried to get it to work properly but they couldn't get it running so our loss is your gain"

Everything looked like it was there (for the most part it was). This summer I rebuilt the thing --took apart & cleaned every nut, bolt, part, etc. Replaced every bearing, seal, bushing, gasket, new paint on all parts, etc. etc. Snow thrower started on the first pull and still does (when cold) every time. Problem is when I run it for a bit, if I turn it off, it won't restart. The plug is wet and fouled and it won't start as if its flooded.

Spark is there, coil is good, fuel cap is venting properly, its got a new float/needle (that works properly). If I start it and let it run until it runs out of fuel I can add more and it'll restart. If I start it and let it run but shut it off (by turning the key), it won't restart. I can pull the plug and see spark but the plug is all wet as if its flooded yet I didn't touch it.

Something is pushing too much fuel into the motor and I don't know how to limit/regulate it since its so simple. When it runs it runs great --it just doesn't restart. If I let it sit for 5-10 it'll restart on the first pull all over again... if I turn it off, pull the plug out and dry it off (spray it with ether) it'll restart on the first pull again.

I feel like its something stupid that I'm overlooking. Any help appreciated!
Thanks.

Last edited by 1215; 01-20-2016 at 07:55 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-20-2016, 07:50 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 4
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 10
hows the oil mixed?? 40:1.. 50:1... could this happen if you mixed too much oil for the gas?? if you go to start the engine and just let it sit there.. any gas leaks?? does the plug get wet then?? im really stumped too lol

1984 Columbia 10hp-33in
2015 Columbia 420cc 28in 3xHD
post #3 of 4 Old 01-20-2016, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty013 View Post
hows the oil mixed?? 40:1.. 50:1... could this happen if you mixed too much oil for the gas?? if you go to start the engine and just let it sit there.. any gas leaks?? does the plug get wet then?? im really stumped too lol
I'll be perfectly honest because I really want to figure this out... I'm running 110LL (110 octane low-lead, blue dye) fuel from the local airport. I run it in two of my cars and all the gas-powered tools. I also have (I think) 97-octane MOGAS (fuel with no ethanol) and I probably still have a bunch of cans of 50:1 premix from the RC toys. Can always go buy pump gas too.

So currently I'm running 110LL at 46:1. I ran slightly rich because of the high-octane leaded fuel and I didni't want to burn the thing up. And also because I just rebuilt the motor (rings & cyl hone too) so I wanted its first starts to be with rich fuel mixture. I mixed the oil:gas ratio in a chemistry measuring pipette and the fuel was poured into a graduated cylinder and then mixed. Sounds crazy but I'm a little OCD with my engines/toys. Should I try regular pump gas at a straight 50:1 or even 52-55:1?

Using a Royal Purple synthetic 2-stroke oil...

I have a bunch of 2-smokers and I'm pretty spot-on with trouble shooting and getting them to work well.
I'm stumped here
post #4 of 4 Old 12-12-2016, 09:34 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Likes (Received): 0
I know this is old - but I wouldn't run airport fuel in anything other than an aircraft. It's quite expensive, doesn't provide any benefit for engines not rated for it, and is just a waste. If you are really picky about fuels run premium in everything, but aircraft fuel? Waste of time and money. Car's computers are mapped for that type of fuel. Small engines are not jetted for that particular fuel. So that could be a part of your issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page