Will any 5W-30 be okay to use? Or is there a specific type of for 4-strokes? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 50 Old 01-23-2016, 11:54 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Will any 5W-30 be okay to use? Or is there a specific type of for 4-strokes?

I just bought a 2015 Troy bilt storm 2060 (HD ran out of the ariens compact model). It says to use 5w-30, so I went to auto zone and only found oils that seem to be designed for cars. I ended up buying a quart of Castol SAE 5W-30.

My question is is this okay to use? Or should I have gotten a 5W-30 designed for snow blowers (if such a thing exists).

Also, the salesman at lowes told me the snow blower comes with about 5 hours worth of oil in it, so I used it a little today (I checked the dipstick to make sure). When I do add oil to it, can I just top it off and mix oils? Or do I need to drain it first and maybe clean something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 01-24-2016, 12:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 40
Likes (Given): 10
Likes (Received): 149
I make it practice to check oil with every tank of fuel. I suggest doing the same at least until you understand the usage pattern.

There is really no such ting as snowblower oil, what you got should be fine if meets the engine requirements. FWIW I'm partial to synthetic 5-30 but there are threads that beat that to death.

You will top it off as needed and change it periodically, generally once per year. Keep it at the full line, don't take liberties in the OK range. By staying at the full line you have some safety margin if consumption spikes and a little more mass to process heat with.

Pete
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 4 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #3 of 50 Old 01-24-2016, 12:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 84
Likes (Given): 57
Likes (Received): 263
You will be just fine with the oil you got. But I would recommend you eventually get over to Mobil-1 5W30 Full synthetic. The synthetics do a better job at heat dissipation and also will lube the engine quicker when cold. So run what you have now for a few hours, get maybe 5-8 hours on her, then change it out. You'll be just fine.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Berrymetz liked this post
post #4 of 50 Old 01-24-2016, 12:24 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 137
Likes (Given): 202
Likes (Received): 287
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helishmeli View Post
I just bought a 2015 Troy bilt storm 2060

Also, the salesman at lowes told me the snow blower comes with about 5 hours worth of oil in it, so I used it a little today (I checked the dipstick to make sure). When I do add oil to it, can I just top it off and mix oils? Or do I need to drain it first and maybe clean something?
The 5 hours worth of oil was because it's a new machine. Brand new engines have to wear in, and they make a lot of contaminants doing so. You will want to drain out all the oil after a few hours of use and put in fresh stuff. We call it break-in oil. After the first oil change you can go much longer. Most do it (change it) once a year.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks ProParts thanked for this post
Likes ProParts liked this post
post #5 of 50 Old 01-24-2016, 07:43 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 96
Likes (Received): 288
I agree with GoBlowSnow, you want to be using the full synthetic 5w30 oil, as recommended by B&S and others. I use no particular brand and get it in a 5 quart size at WalMart. It offers better operating range and protection. I would also change it after a few hours of operation being that it is new, getting rid of the "break in" oil.

I have 3 blowers and moved them all over to the full synthetic 5w30.
post #6 of 50 Old 01-24-2016, 07:47 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 1
Likes (Given): 22
Likes (Received): 6
It's probably overkill, but I change my oil twice a year. Once roughly halfway through the snow season, and then once after the season is over. It's currently one of the few things I feel I can do, haha, so I figure it can't hurt and the oil is cheap enough.
Have been using Quaker State Advanced Durability 5W-30 as of late, haven't made the jump to synthetic yet.

2014 Ariens Deluxe 28 - 921030
Coast of Maine, average snowfall is 62"
post #7 of 50 Old 01-24-2016, 09:51 AM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Do not mix viscosities , brands are OK, . I don't think you should mix regular oils with synthectic.
post #8 of 50 Old 01-24-2016, 11:15 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 2
Thanks (Received): 7
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 4
The quart of Castrol 5W-30 you bought is just fine. Go ahead and use it. I would recommend, however, that after your first 2-3+ hours of use, you change the oil to get rid of all the break-in bits and pieces floating around in your motor oil. They aren't doing your motor any good.

Synthetic is good in a snowblower if it is started in an unheated space because it flows more easily in frigid temps. If the machine is stored in a heated garage, synthetic is not needed.

Seasonal oil changes are recommended because there is no air filter, there is no oil filter to catch bits of metal and fuel dilution is common in these engines. 3 reasons NOT to stretch your oil change interval (OCI) and another reason synthetic is not needed and is usually just a waste of money.

Oil changes in a snowblower are as easy as easy gets. Most current models have a spout off the back of the machine to make it as simple as can-be.

Mixing oil weights, brands or types of oils is OK. They are all compatible. You are not likely to get better protection by blending, but it will do no harm. Want a lil' extra protection for your motor? Add a touch of break-in additive (many brands to choose from) or this stuff:

LIQUI MOLY - Motor Oils, Additives, Car Care - Products - MoS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment

Do NOT over-treat. Too much additive can mess with the original chemistry of the oil and protection begins to go down the more you add.

I use "Yeti Blood," an HDEO 0W30 but it is overkill:

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/e...W-30_large.jpg

2011 Ariens 28 Deluxe
post #9 of 50 Old 01-24-2016, 01:59 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Look at your owners manual and follow "Their" initial "Break In" Hour recommendations. If there was a major concern about the residual "Machining Dust" from manufacturing the OEM would have performed a pre-delivery oil change or attached an Oil Filter on the motor. Use a Synthetic Oil of your choice since the operating temperature will be reached when in use. Synthetics move heat which is the primary reason(not the only reason) for component failure and is recommended by all OEM equipment. I would highly recommend you Do Not use additives in your oil because if your oil is of any quality it would be performing they way it should and be recommended by the OEM. Im sure in your manual as with any equipment it does not recommend you use an oil additive. If you have any further questions let me know. Thanks!

David
Amsoil ***Regency Direct***

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 50 Old 01-24-2016, 06:12 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 62
Thanks (Received): 119
Likes (Given): 94
Likes (Received): 135
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helishmeli View Post
I just bought a 2015 Troy bilt storm 2060 (HD ran out of the ariens compact model). It says to use 5w-30, so I went to auto zone and only found oils that seem to be designed for cars. I ended up buying a quart of Castol SAE 5W-30.

My question is is this okay to use? Or should I have gotten a 5W-30 designed for snow blowers (if such a thing exists).

The oil required is Automotive detergent oil conforming to API service category SJ or newer (currently SN). You will see the API insignia in a prominent position on the container. There are other categories of oil for different needs such as non-detergent, diesel, etc that would likely be for sale at Auto Zone. Check your container specifies the oil meets the above specification.

The salesman is mistaken in the idea that your machine came with about 5 hours worth of oil in it, as others have said. Your engine should not use any oil, or a very nominal amount. The idea is that after a period of first use the engine oil needs to be changed to eliminate contaminants. The change interval varies greatly by manufacturer and user. Your owner manual will suggest a time period for the first oil change, mine is the first month of use (about 20 hours in my case). Then there will be a recommendation to change the oil on a seasonal or usage basis.

Good luck.

2015 Ariens Platinum 30 SHO - model 921040
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page