Listen up! Good advice - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 01-25-2016, 07:44 AM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
micah68kj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: S. C. Pa. 39.755928, -77.577766
Posts: 4,883
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 139
Thanks (Received): 270
Likes (Given): 371
Likes (Received): 912
Listen up! Good advice

After you get done blowing snow and you're ready to go inside and warm up you need to finish the job by making sure to remove as much snow/ice as possible from your machine. This is especially important if you are storing it in an unheated area. That snow will harden up and freeze solid. The next time you go to use the blower and engage the auger/impeller you can instantly do lots of damage. Parts will freeze and there is a very good chance of snapped shear pins, gear destruction and drive failure. It's not happened to me but after each use I use a small space heater to completely melt all the residual snow/ice that I couldn't get off. After it has all melted and dried I move it to the back of my blower and heat up the drive mechanism for a while. I use a little ceramic heater and a few pieces of cardboard. I make a small, loose box around the bucket to hold the heat in there. Been doing this off and on for many years and it slways has worked. I'm sure some of you employ other methods but this is my method. It's also a good idea to keep your blower bucket off the floor by placing a bit of wood or plastic under it to protect your floor from rust damage. Don't use anything that will separate if it freezes or you will have a bunch of junk stuck to your scraper bar. Above all be CAREFUL out there. Stay safe and don't overdo it.
A couple other things to remember. Clean around your clothes dryer vents and heat pumps. Very important for a number of reasons. Fire hazards, proper ventilation, efficiency of operation etc.

Joe

Sent from my junky old Hisense 7" tablet that I can barely see.
Toro 724
Toro CCR 3650E
Toro 5/21 sold
Ariens 5/22 ss ..Sold
Ariens Sno Tek 7/24 sold.
Old green plastic snow shovel... Sent.to shovel Heaven
Old quarry shovel for ice.
New.green shovel
micah68kj is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks 1894 thanked for this post
Likes 1894 liked this post
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 14 Old 01-25-2016, 07:53 AM
Moderator
 
detdrbuzzard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: 42.23n/83.33w/636
Posts: 6,572
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 213
Thanks (Received): 293
Likes (Given): 1645
Likes (Received): 580
I had mine freeze up after forgetting to turn the space heater on, impeller froze and skids froze to the garage floor

current machines
1-toro2450E-38419. 1-toro3000E-38435. 1-toro 3650E-38445
2-toro 521E-38052. 1-toro xl824pt 38086
1-.............,TORO XL 624ps..............
1-............, TORO XL 824ps..............
william
detdrbuzzard is offline  
post #3 of 14 Old 01-25-2016, 08:24 AM
Senior Member
 
bad69cat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Posts: 1,237
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Good tips! One of those plastic washer machine trays works out quite well - or a horse stall mat, pickup bed liner, etc



bad69cat is offline  
post #4 of 14 Old 01-25-2016, 09:13 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Long island
Posts: 274
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 14
Thanks (Received): 16
Likes (Given): 44
Likes (Received): 50
Mines on one of those rubber mats used in kitchens. As for freezing, I've learned that ice forms behind the impeller on my 10000 ariens.
A while back I bought one of those torches roofers use from harbor freight to attempt to melt some ice on my patio. It didn't work well for that, but a few gently blast in the bucket to loosen the ice worked wonders. No ill effect to my homemade rubber mat impeller kit either. Prob not great idea on any machine with plastic pieces.
Rob711 is offline  
post #5 of 14 Old 01-25-2016, 01:21 PM
Moderator
 
Shryp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 4,159
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob711 View Post
Mines on one of those rubber mats used in kitchens. As for freezing, I've learned that ice forms behind the impeller on my 10000 ariens.
A while back I bought one of those torches roofers use from harbor freight to attempt to melt some ice on my patio. It didn't work well for that, but a few gently blast in the bucket to loosen the ice worked wonders. No ill effect to my homemade rubber mat impeller kit either. Prob not great idea on any machine with plastic pieces.
A lot of blowers have a small hole in the rear bottom of the impeller chamber. It is suppose to be a drain hole, but yours may be blocked. Also, they may not work if the machine is tipped the wrong way.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
Shryp is offline  
post #6 of 14 Old 01-25-2016, 03:14 PM
Senior Member
 
POWERSHIFT93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: PARADISE CITY, MN
Posts: 9,160
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1144
You know there BROTHER JOE. back many moons ago when the ice age would set up shop here in the paradise city. and before remodel of the garage. those blowers would go out cold. and come back in cold and packed full of snow. and I never ever once had a problem with them or anything for that matter.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
POWERSHIFT93 is offline  
post #7 of 14 Old 01-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Syr NY
Posts: 646
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 425
Likes (Received): 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
You know there BROTHER JOE. back many moons ago when the ice age would set up shop here in the paradise city. and before remodel of the garage. those blowers would go out cold. and come back in cold and packed full of snow. and I never ever once had a problem with them or anything for that matter.
You know there brother powershift , The brothers obviously learned very early on that if they tick you off they will get shot , death cert. signed , and buried

Phil

Ariens 2 foot SHO
1894 is offline  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes POWERSHIFT93 liked this post
post #8 of 14 Old 01-25-2016, 04:00 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Syr NY
Posts: 646
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 70
Thanks (Received): 57
Likes (Given): 425
Likes (Received): 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by micah68kj View Post
After you get done blowing snow and you're ready to go inside and warm up you need to finish the job by making sure to remove as much snow/ice as possible from your machine. This is especially important if you are storing it in an unheated area. That snow will harden up and freeze solid. The next time you go to use the blower and engage the auger/impeller you can instantly do lots of damage. Parts will freeze and there is a very good chance of snapped shear pins, gear destruction and drive failure. It's not happened to me but after each use I use a small space heater to completely melt all the residual snow/ice that I couldn't get off. After it has all melted and dried I move it to the back of my blower and heat up the drive mechanism for a while. I use a little ceramic heater and a few pieces of cardboard. I make a small, loose box around the bucket to hold the heat in there. Been doing this off and on for many years and it slways has worked. I'm sure some of you employ other methods but this is my method. It's also a good idea to keep your blower bucket off the floor by placing a bit of wood or plastic under it to protect your floor from rust damage. Don't use anything that will separate if it freezes or you will have a bunch of junk stuck to your scraper bar. Above all be CAREFUL out there. Stay safe and don't overdo it.
A couple other things to remember. Clean around your clothes dryer vents and heat pumps. Very important for a number of reasons. Fire hazards, proper ventilation, efficiency of operation etc.
All very good reminders

Phil

Ariens 2 foot SHO
1894 is offline  
post #9 of 14 Old 01-25-2016, 04:08 PM
Senior Member
 
knu2xs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,570
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 123
Thanks (Received): 117
Likes (Given): 257
Likes (Received): 138
I don't know if I read the following here, or in my
Ariens owners manual, but it sounded like good advice.

If you think that you might have a freezing issue, engage
your auger / impeller, prior to starting, and pull on your
starter cord a little to see if everything turns.
knu2xs is online now  
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 1894, liftoff1967 liked this post
post #10 of 14 Old 01-25-2016, 05:50 PM
Super Moderator
 
bwdbrn1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Upper Peninsula, MI Near Manisitque
Posts: 3,149
Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 553
Thanks (Received): 234
Likes (Given): 584
Likes (Received): 604
Good tips, and good reminders. Thanks
bwdbrn1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome