LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old 01-25-2016, 09:03 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Murray Snow King problems

Hello- I am new to snow blowers but not so new to small engines. I just recently bought a murray snow king 5 hp two stage with a tecumseh lh195sa engine. The problems I'm experiencing are the following:
1. Engine surges or hunts for idle. I have cleaned the carburetor and it made no difference. This carburetor has fixed main jet. I have seen new carb on Amazon for this application for $20. This makes me a little leary of quality when my local small engine shop says it will cost $100.

2. Just used snowblower in major snow storm we had in VA and noticed that it appears there is water/condensation in oil. I've looked over the engine closely and did not see any areas where water could be getting in. The only place I can figure is at the base of the dipstick tube..it unscrews when I unscrew dipstick cap. Could this problem be carburetor?

3. I noticed one time while using snowblower that a lot of oil was blowing out of breather tube when under load. Also I think I had it on incline. I drained and filled with new oil to proper level and checked valve in breather and it was not stuck. I am running 10w30. Should I use lighter oil. I have not experienced problem again.

4. Lastly, and maybe related to carb issue, the exhaust smells rich.

Overall, the machine worked great. It rarely snows here so I would like to fix what I already have. I realize Murray is not top shelf equipment but I got a good deal on it. To many times I've nickeled and dimed trying to fix something and spent enough money to by almost new. Any thoughts /advice on what any of these problems could be and how to fix would be much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-25-2016, 09:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
Engine hunting is fairly common these days. The EPA requires them to be jetted so lean for emissions reasons that they barely run right when new. Then a little bit of bad gas gets in there and they really struggle. You can use some torch tip files or micro drill bits and open the jets up by hand.

Oil coming out of the breather could be just from working the engine too hard. If you have a large load on it you might have just been getting some blowby from the rings. Also if the oil is over filled it is likely to spray out the breather. Tipping the machine can make all the oil run to one side.

If you are having carb issues you can also end up with gas dripping through the carb when the engine is off. This gas can make its way into the cylinder and then run into the oil and over fill the oil.

The other issue Tecumseh flat heads can suffer from is the valves expand as the heat up. Eventually they will get so large they won't quite close all the way. When this happens the compression drops and they stop running correctly. This requires you to remove the valves and grind the stems down slightly to get the proper clearance back.

The oil/water issue could just be condensation from storage. The engine needs to run for a while for it to get hot enough to burn the water out. If stored outside you can get snow/rain in through the carb and muffler.

Overall your problems don't seem too bad for a machine that isn't used often. It shouldn't be too bad to fix. Another option you have is you can replace the Tecumseh with a $100 Predator engine from Harbor Freight.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-25-2016, 09:27 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by new195 View Post
Hello- I am new to snow blowers but not so new to small engines. I just recently bought a murray snow king 5 hp two stage with a tecumseh lh195sa engine. The problems I'm experiencing are the following:
1. Engine surges or hunts for idle. I have cleaned the carburetor and it made no difference. This carburetor has fixed main jet. I have seen new carb on Amazon for this application for $20. This makes me a little leary of quality when my local small engine shop says it will cost $100.

2. Just used snowblower in major snow storm we had in VA and noticed that it appears there is water/condensation in oil. I've looked over the engine closely and did not see any areas where water could be getting in. The only place I can figure is at the base of the dipstick tube..it unscrews when I unscrew dipstick cap. Could this problem be carburetor?

3. I noticed one time while using snowblower that a lot of oil was blowing out of breather tube when under load. Also I think I had it on incline. I drained and filled with new oil to proper level and checked valve in breather and it was not stuck. I am running 10w30. Should I use lighter oil. I have not experienced problem again.

4. Lastly, and maybe related to carb issue, the exhaust smells rich.

Overall, the machine worked great. It rarely snows here so I would like to fix what I already have. I realize Murray is not top shelf equipment but I got a good deal on it. To many times I've nickeled and dimed trying to fix something and spent enough money to by almost new. Any thoughts /advice on what any of these problems could be and how to fix would be much appreciated.

1. Does the engine run ok at full speed when its working on a load? Is the hunting problem only at a low throttle / idle setting? Is there a low speed jet adjustment on the side of the carb, below the idle adjust screw?

2. There should be an O ring at the bottom of the dip stick tube that seals the hole when its screwed in. Is it there? Make sure that stays tight. Hold onto the tube when you unscrew the dipstick so it is not constantly being loosened and tightened.

3. Before you started blowing, did you check the oil level? Do you have a fuel shutoff valve on the machine, and was it open or closed before you started working? Sometimes, a stuck float or needle valve will allow gas to flow through the carb, through the intake valve and into the crankcase. That will cause the oil level to be high, and spray out the breather. If you don't have a fuel shut off valve, make note of the oil level now that you have changed it, should be at the full mark, and check it next time before starting the engine to see if the level is suddenly too high. That would be gas getting into the crank case.

Those engines dont like to be tilted more than about 15 degrees if the horizontal plane. Suppose a large tilt could also cause oil to spray out the breather.

4. Is it blowing black smoke when running? That would indicate rich. Is the choke plate fully open when you are running under load? What about more smoke when under load. Is the engine speed responding when you hit a load, ie,. is the governor working to maintain engine speed or are the RPMs dropping excessively when the machine is working hard?

Attached is a link for the engine manual. Check the oil recommendations and use what Tecumseh suggests.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/169...?page=2#manual

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 01-25-2016 at 09:33 PM.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-25-2016, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
to the forum new195

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 Old 01-25-2016, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
snow king problems

Thanks for the replies. The machine was used quite a bit in this storm. It got hot enough that I would have figured the condensation would have burned off. I even changed oil. What can I use to flush out block to remove any contamination and refill with oil. Will the water contamination hurt the engine. If I go with Predator engine would you recommen going with a higher horsepower engine.

Thanks
post #6 of 18 Old 01-25-2016, 09:56 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 196
Likes (Given): 6
Likes (Received): 250
I wouldn't worry too much about just a little bit of water. It should mostly be out of there by now. The 212cc Predator is around 6.5 HP. You probably don't want to go any higher than that if yours was originally 5 HP.

Please direct all snow blower questions to the forums and not to me with PMs.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-25-2016, 10:13 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Thanks for the replies. The machine was used quite a bit in this storm. It got hot enough that I would have figured the condensation would have burned off. I even changed oil. What can I use to flush out block to remove any contamination and refill with oil. Will the water contamination hurt the engine. If I go with Predator engine would you recommen going with a higher horsepower engine.

Thanks
How old is your machine?

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
post #8 of 18 Old 01-25-2016, 10:39 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
Try the stuff Shrp has offered up and see how it goes. I think you can get that thing going well for under $50 easy.... just takes a bit of tinkering. If the carb seems beyond fixing - you can get adjustable ones on ebay for $20 that are just fine. I have used a number of them on various machines. You can pay a bit more from a US supplier - or if you don't mind waiting order one from China...... I like Big Fish Moto and buy most of my Chinko parts from him.....

post #9 of 18 Old 01-25-2016, 10:49 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 4
Thanks (Received): 83
Likes (Given): 56
Likes (Received): 249
Quote:

Thanks
Best way to flush the engine is to go buy some regular 5W30 oil to run in it for a bit then drain and re-fill with a good quality synthetic 5W30 (such as mobil-1) what kind of gas are you using?
post #10 of 18 Old 01-25-2016, 11:26 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 52
Thanks (Received): 53
Likes (Given): 105
Likes (Received): 72
I worked on a Murray with an 8 hp SnowKing last year and I thought it was a well designed machine.

You have lots of good advice from every one so far. I agree with Go blow snow and use fully synthetic 5w-30 oil , for many reasons.

The $20 carbs on Ebay can be a decent deal. Some carbs just can't easily be cleaned and you are better off getting a new one. Especially for $20. Make sure your carb and intake gaskets are good and replace them if they are suspect.

The Techumseh manual explains how to measure the valve clearance. Good idea to do just to know where you are at. As Shryp suggested over time the valve seats wear and loose clearance. If you don't address it you will loose power and the valve guides will wear and you will loose even more power. The engine will in all practicality will be junk. The exhaust valve is more likely to be a problem than the intake.
Good luck.

Current machines
Ariens 926LE

Yard Machine 22" upgraded with 6.5 HP Predator
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page