LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 01-27-2016, 10:16 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Ariens/Tecumseh Oil Seepage

End of season last year I had my 70s 7hp Ariens serviced for carburetor and starting problems. I was also getting serious snapback from the recoil and suspected the flywheel key or points.

Oil and spark plug, points and condensor were replaced, a carburetor kit, carburetor bowl and the fuel lines and shutoff were replaced with a new pull cord installed.

First storm this year and again starting was not great even though I had drained after last spring's service and put fresh fuel in. Performed well though after starting except now there is an oil leak on the left side of the engine. It does not appear to be from the breather hose but rather coming from the breather gasket itself. They came back to get it but could offer no help, just considering it an "old" engine.

Is there something I can do with this breather plate and the gasket?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-27-2016, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
If the gasket is leaking how about replacing it ??

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-27-2016, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
So, I can remove the 2 bolts and the cover with the breather hose will come off, then just get a replacement gasket and reinstall? Do you know what the torque requirements are for those bolts?

Why wouldn't the repair shop have tried this? I feel like they blamed it on coming straight out of the hose, so spoke of compression problems, etc.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-27-2016, 06:03 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
This is the 8 hp version. As you can see its mostly an empty chamber that allows you to work on the valves. There is a breather hole in the bottom (air passage for below when piston goes up and down). The oil in the chamber is likely seeping in from the valve stems. I'm no expert at all, but a little bit of oil leaking out the gasket I doubt would cause your engine to run poorly, but you would need to keep an eye on the oil level and correct the issue as mentioned above would be best. I doubt if there is a torque for the bolts as they thread into an aluminum casting. You may need two gaskets, the 8 hp shown does as it's a two part cover. Clean the metal surfaces and tighten bolts snug.

Good question what they told about your oil leak? Maybe mostly in reference to hard starting.

Last edited by AL-; 02-13-2016 at 02:19 PM.
post #5 of 17 Old 01-27-2016, 07:19 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Received): 66
My 8 HP Tecumseh began seeping oil from that valve cover last month, and I've never touched it during my 8 years of Ownership.

I tightened the two cover bolts down (they had loosened up about 1 turns) and that ended the seepage. I gather that they had just vibrated loose over time and I caught it before it caused any trouble.

I have a Briggs engine on a Riding Mower whose valve cover also loosened up by itself . . . . but that one took 30 years.
post #6 of 17 Old 01-28-2016, 02:21 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
[IMG][/IMG]

After running for 10 minutes I see oil coming down from the valve cover, I believe. Doesn't look to be coming out the breather tube.

I will try and find 2 new gaskets and clean and redo this area. One of the things it was sent in for service for at the end of last year was the excessive snapback from the recoil starter. Just now, it nearly took my arm with it before I was able to get it started, so I guess they didn't take a look at valve clearance, compression, the flywheel key, etc.
post #7 of 17 Old 01-28-2016, 02:58 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamieneski View Post
After running for 10 minutes I see oil coming down from the valve cover, I believe. Doesn't look to be coming out the breather tube.

I will try and find 2 new gaskets and clean and redo this area. One of the things it was sent in for service for at the end of last year was the excessive snapback from the recoil starter. Just now, it nearly took my arm with it before I was able to get it started, so I guess they didn't take a look at valve clearance, compression, the flywheel key, etc.
While you have the cover off, check the valve clearance yourself. Do it when the engine is dead cold. If there is too much clearance, it will be hard to pull over, as the valve with the compression release doesn't open far enough to let the compression bleed off while your are starting it.

You might also want to check the key under the fly wheel to see if its sheared, and check the coil assembly to make sure it's properly located and tight, and since you have the flywheel off anyway, check those new points and make sure they are gapped right and everything is tight.

Timing, as they say, is everything in an engine.

One thing you might try to start it without dislocating your arm, would be to set the ignition to off, pull the motor just through the compression stroke, then stop. Turn on the ignition, choke and what ever other rituals you have to do to get your engine going, then pull it hard and fast. You should get enough spin to make the second revolution back to the compression stroke so it starts, and you still have two arms to operate it with.

Does it run OK once you get it going? Is it blowing smoke or running ratty or backfiring, or does it run smooth, throttle response it good, and snow flies far away?

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp

Last edited by skutflut; 01-28-2016 at 03:03 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 01-28-2016, 08:33 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamieneski View Post
[IMG][/IMG]

I agree about the oil.
A small engine repair shop would normally have gaskets if you give them your engine model number which is stamped into the blower shroud, near the spark plug.
Very good time to check you valve clearance when you have this area open. Not difficult to just "check" the clearance. You need feeler gauges and these are not too expensive. On youtube see, "How to check valve clearance on 4 cycle Flat Head engine" by donyboy 73. Your engine model is probably a HH70 or HM70 type and these have an .008 and .012. clearance. The video explains this.
post #9 of 17 Old 02-04-2016, 02:05 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Finally got my gaskets in. Course one is cut, but maybe it still may be usable. Now when I take off the valve cover, will I need to catch the oil or will it have drained all down into the oil pan? thx
post #10 of 17 Old 02-04-2016, 02:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
no - the oil doesn't come up that high. You can easily buy gasket material and cut your own by the way..... those simple ones cost more to ship than to buy! I get rolls of gasket material at any auto parts store.

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page