LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 02-03-2016, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 6
Likes (Given): 1
Likes (Received): 17
Auger gearbox leaking-Toro 826

I have a Toro 826 (38150) with a leaking auger gearbox. I topped it off the other day with 75W-90 non-synthetic gear oil and now it has a slow leak. Is it possible to overfill it? I don't want to pull it apart right now (or ever if I don't have to) so I was thinking about putting a heavier gear oil in. Does anyone think that is a good idea?The manual calls for 90W, but the choices seem to be the 75W-90 that I already used, 80W-90 or 85W-140. Any suggestions on which one to use? Will any of these make a difference? Thanks, Mark

Honda HS720AS 2015
Toro 826E (38150) 1980
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 02-03-2016, 06:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 88
Likes (Given): 127
Likes (Received): 277
The 80W-90 would be better if you can't get 90W. No Biggie if it's overfilled. Just wondering about the gaskets/seals maybe?

I am deathly allergic to shovels!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks markd thanked for this post
post #3 of 26 Old 02-04-2016, 05:31 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
Just keep it topped off with 80-90 weight gear oil. until you can UNDERTAKE that problem that is presenting itself onto you.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #4 of 26 Old 02-04-2016, 06:52 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 8
Likes (Given): 5
Likes (Received): 8
I tried every combination of gear oil trying to stop my slow leak and eventually just took the advise from this forum and drained and refilled with 00 grease. works awesome and no leaks now. I have used it on a lot of different machines now with no problems at all.

Current machines-
1978 Bolens 8/24 (Loncin 420cc engine upgrade)
1986 toro powershift 6/24 ( 212cc Predator upgrade)
1988 Simplicity 860 (Predator 301cc upgrade)
1995 Honda HS 621
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes 43128, Mr Fixit liked this post
post #5 of 26 Old 02-04-2016, 08:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks for the responses. I snugged up all of the bolts on the auger gear box, but it is still leaking. I can't help but think that all of those gear oils are about the same when cold, and will leak when the snow blower is not in use. Any idea what the viscosity is of the 00 grease?

How big of a job is it to rebuild the gearbox so it won't leak? My blower is 35 years old, and has never been taken apart. I'm guessing the augers aren't going to come off very easily. On the plus side, I could replace the impeller bearing at the same time. Is there anything else that normally wears out in there?

Honda HS720AS 2015
Toro 826E (38150) 1980
post #6 of 26 Old 02-04-2016, 09:08 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 480
Thanks (Received): 348
Likes (Given): 290
Likes (Received): 1142
3 Seals and a gasket that is it. auger bearing check the worm gear bushing in the box. the drums will slide off they are bolted on there. might have to heat it up to get the pulley off. take 220 grit paper and polish up the shafts.

Long LIVE THE POWERSHIFT!! MAY IT NEVER RUST IN PEACE!!

MAHALO!!!!!!!!!
post #7 of 26 Old 02-04-2016, 02:15 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERSHIFT93 View Post
3 Seals and a gasket that is it. auger bearing check the worm gear bushing in the box. the drums will slide off they are bolted on there. might have to heat it up to get the pulley off. take 220 grit paper and polish up the shafts.
You make it sound simple.....If I try to fix it, I think I'll wait until this summer. For now, I'll try to limp along refilling before I use it. Still looking around for the 90W gear oil. Hoping that won't leak out.

Honda HS720AS 2015
Toro 826E (38150) 1980
post #8 of 26 Old 02-04-2016, 04:34 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
If the unit is 35 years old, and you've been running "thin" 75 weight oil in it even half that time, the Gasket has given up the Ghost . . . . it has served you well.

You used a variety of lubricants over that time; some of them may have interacted with the gasket material (and one another). When you "snugged up" all of the bolts on the gear box, how much play did you discover ?

Were they loose enough to allow "pieces" of the gasket to have slipped out ?

Scheduling the replacement of that gasket ASAP is in order (I think you'll discover pieces of it are already missing). Watch it closely until then.
post #9 of 26 Old 02-04-2016, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermont007 View Post
If the unit is 35 years old, and you've been running "thin" 75 weight oil in it even half that time, the Gasket has given up the Ghost . . . . it has served you well.

You used a variety of lubricants over that time; some of them may have interacted with the gasket material (and one another). When you "snugged up" all of the bolts on the gear box, how much play did you discover ?

Were they loose enough to allow "pieces" of the gasket to have slipped out ?

Scheduling the replacement of that gasket ASAP is in order (I think you'll discover pieces of it are already missing). Watch it closely until then.
I started using the 75W-90 gear oil about a year ago. I'm not sure about the condition of the gasket, but you're right, it has served me well. None of the bolts were loose when I checked them. I just tightened each one a little hoping to stop the leak. (1/4 to 1/2 turn)

I'm not sure if servicing the auger box is within my skill set. I'm concerned about getting the augers off and about getting all the correct parts I'm going to need. I think the spring or summer would be a good time to attempt the repair when the blower won't be needed and I'm not under time pressure. I'm hopeful that if I fill up the gear box before I use the blower it will be OK. It is leaking very slowly.

I'm still looking for that 90W oil and trying to learn about the different service types. Does anyone know if the gears are steel on steel, or if there is any yellow metals in there? From what I am reading some of the later oils (GL-5) can be corrosive to yellow metals. I'm somewhat confused at this point.

Thanks!

Honda HS720AS 2015
Toro 826E (38150) 1980
post #10 of 26 Old 02-04-2016, 08:44 PM
Banned

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 32
Thanks (Received): 92
Likes (Given): 446
Likes (Received): 148
I use 00 grease in my ariens and toro gearboxes without issues. It's not a grease and it's not an oil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page