LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-03-2016, 06:20 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Broken starter rope...

So, as I mentioned in my only other post, a month ago I became the proud owner of an MYD Snowflite 29" 10.5hp blower (model 31AE6B0H522, that doesn't seem to exist anywhere). It worked great the two other times (on the same day) that I used it during a storm about 3 weeks ago. I store it outside under a tarp, as my shed is down two sets of steps in the back of my yard. It finally snowed enough to use it again, after about 15 pulls the starter rope broke. (It started on the 2nd or 3rd pull the first time I used it.. but that's not my problem now...).. I did use the electric start after the cord broke (hopefully that didn't damage anything).. which also took several attempts before it started. So the question (sorry), how hard is it for the average person to replace the starter rope? I fix laptops, not engines. But I can follow instructions and systematically disassemble things! Is it really as easy as this? http://service.mtdproducts.com/video...6%20x%209).mp4 ? or

My MTD has a Tecumseh engine, but I can't find a model number on it. The starter is on the back of mine, in front of the handle. Also, I believe the video says 9' of #4 starter rope.. so far I've only been able to find 7'.

Any help would be great!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-03-2016, 06:26 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Homehardware.ca has 33' ft of lawn mower #4 starter rope, would that work? (obviously I'll have to cut it, and that might be a typo, maybe they mean 33"). Also, is #4 thick enough?
post #3 of 7 Old 02-03-2016, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 510
Thanks (Received): 681
Likes (Given): 3844
Likes (Received): 1478
Garage
Most big box stores have replacement rope as would hardware, farm supply and any lawn and garden dealer.

Search Results forĀ*starter ropeĀ*at The Home Depot

The only time it's difficult IMHO is if it's riveted on. Instead of unbolting it you need to drill it.
Normal guy, you have a video, some tools shouldn't be a problem. Might be a bit frustrating since I know I've wound them up only to have them unwind when trying to get it back together but that's just life and a little patience goes a long way.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 7 Old 02-03-2016, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiss4aFrog View Post
Most big box stores have replacement rope as would hardware, farm supply and any lawn and garden dealer.

Search Results forĀ*starter ropeĀ*at The Home Depot

The only time it's difficult IMHO is if it's riveted on. Instead of unbolting it you need to drill it.
Normal guy, you have a video, some tools shouldn't be a problem. Might be a bit frustrating since I know I've wound them up only to have them unwind when trying to get it back together but that's just life and a little patience goes a long way.
Yeah, I've been searching all of the Canadian hardware store websites, homedepot.ca only has 1 hit. for 84" #4.5 cord . They likely have more in the stores. Homehardware.ca mostly has shorter cords. And amazon.ca has several hundred foot spools. I'll keep looking. I guess the really question now is about the length, and wraps around the recoil unit. I closer look at the cord I have, it's very thin. I suppose I can take it apart and measure the length of the cord that's in it.
post #5 of 7 Old 02-03-2016, 07:17 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
I just noticed in the photo of the packaging for the cord from homedepot.ca .. it does list MTD (and other MTD brands) right on the package... I'll give that a try. It's only $8
post #6 of 7 Old 02-04-2016, 05:49 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29

On many Tecumseh engines the model no. is stamped into the blower housing (near sparkplug) under the starter push button unit... need to remove it to see. Might tell you where in your manual?

Last edited by AL-; 02-04-2016 at 05:53 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-05-2016, 12:12 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 48
Likes (Received): 74
I bought some replacement starter cord and a new handle at a local power equipment dealer. It was just over $9 for everything.
I'll be for a Tec HS40.

Cub Cadet 2X 524 SWE
Ariens 922008, 922018 - Project
Previous: Ariens 624E, Toro CCR2000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page