LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-04-2016, 06:45 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 1
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 11
Basic light ?

i have an old mtd blower thats all wired for a light... my question is, can i just go to napa and buy a 8$ replacement light, nothing special? i thought somewhere i read it had to be a certain wattage...i had an old foglight i was thinking of wiring up to it, but i dont wanna have dimming issues..its an 8hp tecumseh hsmk80...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-04-2016, 07:05 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 38
Look for something in the 18W range. LED lighting can be adapted with additional parts (rectifier diodes etc) but you may see flickering.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-04-2016, 08:07 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 1
Toro Power Max

My Toro which has a 11.5hp B&S engine, came with a halogen 16W GE892 bulb. Don't know if this is too little, too big or what, just letting you know what I have.

Toro Power Max 826OXE
post #4 of 6 Old 02-04-2016, 01:04 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
I put a light on my ST824, using the flywheel and alternator from the 8hp MTD I had at the time. There was a certain bulb designation number that was a common one for these engines, as I recall (it was several years ago). If I wrote it down, I'll try to check what that was. I've sold the machine, so I can't just check it. But yes, something 12V, under 18W would typically be what you want, to avoid over-taxing the alternator.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800

Last edited by RedOctobyr; 02-04-2016 at 01:07 PM.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-04-2016, 06:33 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Checked my notes. I bought an Optronics TL-10CSW utility light assembly at Walmart for $12:
Utility/Flood Light - Walmart.com

It came with a 36W PAR36 4411 bulb, which is too much for my 18W alternator. So I bought an 18W PAR36 4414 bulb to replace it.

At the time, I posted a bunch of info about my conversion process, including about the light, here:
How hard to remove Tecumseh flywheels?

The light's rubber housing for the bulb was quite stiff, I was having a hard time removing the original bulb from the housing. In the thread I described how I gently warmed the housing, to soften it, and was then able to easily remove the original bulb, so I could swap it to a lower-wattage bulb.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #6 of 6 Old 02-09-2016, 02:55 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 15
Thanks (Received): 64
Likes (Given): 204
Likes (Received): 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
Checked my notes. I bought an Optronics TL-10CSW utility light assembly at Walmart for $12:
Utility/Flood Light - Walmart.com

It came with a 36W PAR36 4411 bulb, which is too much for my 18W alternator. So I bought an 18W PAR36 4414 bulb to replace it.

At the time, I posted a bunch of info about my conversion process, including about the light, here:
How hard to remove Tecumseh flywheels?

The light's rubber housing for the bulb was quite stiff, I was having a hard time removing the original bulb from the housing. In the thread I described how I gently warmed the housing, to soften it, and was then able to easily remove the original bulb, so I could swap it to a lower-wattage bulb.
Good tip about the 4414 bulb. I was using a similar utility light with a 36-watt bulb on my Bolens 824 because its engine has the 84-watt stator, but now I know I can use it on other engines with the 18 watts stators after the bulb swap.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page