HS50 hunting/surging - governor adjustment help? - Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 04:42 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 39
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 46
Likes (Received): 6
HS50 hunting/surging - governor adjustment help?

My buddy brought me his old Simplicity blower last week (really a little beauty, I'll post pics later!) with an HS50 Tecumseh. He got it from the original owner, it had sat for years, needed tank flushed and carb rebuilt - you know the drill. He cleaned it, surges like crazy, he brought it to me. It was a snowy day, put it through it's paces - amazing little machine! Throws better than my big Drift Breaker, looks like it has an impeller kit, threw snow like a fountain! Under load, it ran pretty near very well - shut of the auger, surges. I gave it a real thorough cleaning, poked all the little bleed holes, the whole works - still surges. So I bought an Ebay carb - not an OEM, they're over 60 bucks, but a decent Chinese Oregon carb. Replaced the carb gasket, checked the intake-to-head gasket, installed new carb. Re-flushed the tank, good new fuel, fired right up - you guessed it. Surges and hunts. If I hold the governor rod steady, it smooths out and runs pretty good. My Tecumseh manual tells me that if you can do that, it's probably in the gov adjustment. In my experience, it's hardly ever the gov, and usually a carb issue. But I'm starting to wonder, after all the cleaning, flushing, and replacement. I'm including pics - the first two are in the slow position, the last two are at WOT. My buddy didn't play with the governor, but did he put something together wrong? I put it back the way I found it. The speed is controlled by a remote cable and lever on the dash. The #s are - HS50-67166C, SER 9071B (I think, lots of surface rust around the numbers). I'm not familiar with adjusting govs on this style of Tecumseh - the manual says something about gov follower arms and a gov spool - ? Anybody make that a little easier? In other words - help! Any help adjusting the governor, or troubleshooting the wild surging - also, what year this engine might be? I appreciate the help in advance!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3632.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	186.2 KB
ID:	78033   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3633.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	173.3 KB
ID:	78041   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3634.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	182.5 KB
ID:	78049   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3635.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	78057  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
A couple of quick follow-ups - the linkage doesn't bind, and moves freely. The spring has a good tension, but not too tight, from what I can tell. The surging goes from almost stalling to pretty #$%@ high, and a good, consistent surge every second - you could practically use it as a stopwatch! I've worked with small engines for more years than I want to remember (!), and I'm familiar with your typical Tecumseh sputter and flutter, but this one is pretty bad. Also, wanted to post a pic - it's a cute little critter, and throws the **** out of some snow - now if I could just get it to smooth out and run...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3636.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	78065  
post #3 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 05:51 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 100
Thanks (Received): 81
Likes (Given): 81
Likes (Received): 399
Move that spring in pic #2 down two holes and report again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks wildbill59 thanked for this post
Likes wildbill59 liked this post
post #4 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 08:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 27
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 66
I don't know how a new carb could get crud in it; but the symptoms (surging at idle but running well under load) are identical to when the Idle Restrictor Screw/Valve becomes clogged.

Do I see one of those under a black plastic cap in the first picture ?

If so, it has three (3) "tiny" orifices that may need to be cleared of crud.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 08:14 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 3
Thanks (Received): 18
Likes (Given): 21
Likes (Received): 38
On my Tec the governor linkage connects to the hole shown with the arrow:

I've tried both on mine and the one I've pointed to seemed more stable.

Surprised you're still seeing surging with an adjustable carb. How are you making the adjustments?

Are you sure there's no air leaks past, say, the carb to manifold gasket?
post #6 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 09:42 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 633
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfin View Post
On my Tec the governor linkage connects to the hole shown with the arrow:

I've tried both on mine and the one I've pointed to seemed more stable.

Surprised you're still seeing surging with an adjustable carb. How are you making the adjustments?

Are you sure there's no air leaks past, say, the carb to manifold gasket?
When messing with my OHSK100 governor last year, I could make it surge if I connected the governor rod to the wrong hole. I'd simply increased the "gain" on the governor too much, I suspect, causing it to make excessive throttle changes, which put it into a loop of surging.

So maybe I misunderstood, but it doesn't seem strange to me that you could get surging on a carb that's running right, but has the governor connected wrong.

I'm glad you like the machine, wildbill59! I had either the same machine, or one very close to it, as my first blower (bought it 2001, not new).

Mine was tired. The auger drive chain was worn, so it kept coming off until I replaced it. The impeller bearing was shot, but I had a hard time finding a replacement. That "impeller kit" is stock, mine had thick rubber paddles on the tips of the impeller. But, due to age, they were cracking and getting close to breaking.

My favorite part of it was the drive system. Having an apparently geared transmission (not friction disk), with chains on the solid tires, made it unstoppable. Sadly, it didn't have the guts to really take advantage of that. The used 8hp 26" MTD that I bought as a replacement worked far better than my particular Simplicity.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
post #7 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 10:59 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 5
Thanks (Received): 112
Likes (Given): 13
Likes (Received): 292
Take a look at the link below for, starting around page 20 for governor adsjustments

http://www.ccdist.com/_serviceManual...seh/695933.pdf

Work fascinates me.
I can watch somebody work for hours...
2008 Craftsman 944.528391 (It's a Husqvarna ST227P)
27", B&S 305cc 13.5 ft/lb Torque 9.5 hp
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 0 Likes, 0 Dislikes
post #8 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 04:39 PM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Okay - this is what was hoping for! Yanmar Robin and Blackfin, I was thinking one of the rods or springs might have been in the wrong hole, that's why I included the pics. The gov linkage is tricky to remove without pulling the whole carb/intake deal, that's why I didn't just start swapping springs and rods around. It's family day today (what - my snowblower isn't part of the family?!), so I won't get to try until tomorrow. Vermont, didn't pull the fixed jet yet - I know it's not impossible for crud to be in new carbs, just seemed that it acted exactly the same after swapping carbs. I'm going to pull it just for good measure when I get a chance. blackfin, the old carb was adjustable, but the new one has fixed jets. I started at the intial settings on the old one, it would smooth a bid after fiddling around, but always came back to the surge. It was never perfect under load, but still ran better than no-load. Also, added sealant to the intake-to-head gasket, replaced the carb-to-intake gasket. RedOctobyr - yep, I like it a lot, might try to buy it from him (not like I need more snow blowers!). I suspected that the kit was factory, but this is the first time I'd every seen rubber on impeller that was stock. And right, mine are pretty busted up too, although the rest of the machine is great - obviously low hours, so no issue with worn chains, bearings, etc. Real strong gearbox drive, they just don't build 'em like that anymore! And Scutflut - thanks, I have the same manual. It was confusing me a little with spools and follower arms, but I might have it figured out now. Thank you, one and all, for your help and advice! I'll post a follow-up as soon as I get a chance to play with it (that's what she said!).
post #9 of 14 Old 02-06-2016, 10:28 PM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 3
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 2
Hey wildbill if you start to close the choke butterfly and it begins to smooth out its most likely still lean and wants more fuel. I have seen many of those carbs do that right out of the box. I find it best to try and repair the original adjustable carb if it can be saved or buy an oem that is also adjustable. we have also used micro drills to open the small holes in both jets to try and flow more fuel to stop the surging. Hope this helps.
post #10 of 14 Old 02-13-2016, 03:10 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Okay, another bad week - didn't get to work on this until Wednesday, didn't get any forum time until tonight! Tried all of the advice - switched the gov rod and spring, and checked the idle restrictor screw. Steves602, might have to look into those micro bits - seemed like the main inlet in the screw was really small. But I tried all of the above, no luck, exactly the same. We're catching the 'Polar Vortex' here in Pittsburgh, supposed to be wind chills way below zero for a couple of days. Should be better by mid-week, think I'll try giving the old carb another soaking and going over. I've also been thinking about trying a different OEM Tecumseh carb - it's a series 3, for late model push mowers. I bought a handful of them on Ebay, NOS. They have a primer bulb, and don't have provisions for the airbox and choke. But it should at least bolt up - I'm thinking that if it runs smooth, at least I know it's a carb problem. Anyone know if that should work?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in