LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 02-06-2016, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 0
Thanks (Received): 0
Likes (Given): 0
Likes (Received): 0
Modified Dynamark 824

My 1st snowblower was a SnowShark, heavy beast, double auger with a 6hp Kohler. When the tranny crapped out, I mounted the Kohler onto a used Dynamark base I bought from a local hardware store. Guy there said it would never work. Well, it did quote well for 10 years. I later modified it to use a Toro friction wheel. Then engine issues had me repower it in 2006. Bought a 8hp Tecumseh with a thrown rod for $20. Fixed the cracked crankcase with JB Weld, new rod/piston/rings.

Rebuilt that engine for about $50, been running great since 2006, one or two pull at most, especially now with a new CDI/coil/plug wire I just installed. I modded the upper pulley to the biggest size I could fit with the cover and belt tensioner, in effort to speed up the 2nd stage, and a little faster drive speed. Next mod is to reduce the lower pulley diameter enough to speed up the 2nd stage about 300 to 500 rpm, so it clears the chute better, less clogging. Anybody got recommendations on the lower pulley size to speed up the augers? Plus I'll add the rubber flaps on the 2nd stage so it throws the snow better.

Just modded the "clutch" rod to use a bolt/threaded coupler/threaded rod to replace the L-end of the rod that wore out at the handle. So this vintage basic, tough, easy to work on snowblower just keeps going and going. No "idiot" safety controls. I figure if you're dumb enough to stick your hands into a spinning auger, well, you got it coming. Like my dad, I prefer to fix the older machines and make them work better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 02-06-2016, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 521
Thanks (Received): 687
Likes (Given): 3905
Likes (Received): 1498
Garage
Curious to see your work.

Make sure the windows are up before the snow plow goes by !!

Please help keep the lights on by subscribing:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 Old 02-06-2016, 11:59 PM
AL-

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 7
Thanks (Received): 10
Likes (Given): 4
Likes (Received): 29

I think its a great idea to modify a blower. Take features you like off different machines and make one of your own. Was it a job to get the toro guts in there?

Love to see a pic.

Last edited by AL-; 02-07-2016 at 12:04 AM.
post #4 of 4 Old 02-07-2016, 11:03 AM

Post Thanks / Like
Thanks (Given): 118
Thanks (Received): 277
Likes (Given): 358
Likes (Received): 634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyvh View Post
My 1st snowblower was a SnowShark, heavy beast, double auger with a 6hp Kohler. When the tranny crapped out, I mounted the Kohler onto a used Dynamark base I bought from a local hardware store...
Wow, this sounds like quite a machine! Pics would be interesting.

Quote:
Rebuilt that engine for about $50, been running great since 2006, one or two pull at most, especially now with a new CDI/coil/plug wire I just installed. I modded the upper pulley to the biggest size I could fit with the cover and belt tensioner, in effort to speed up the 2nd stage, and a little faster drive speed. Next mod is to reduce the lower pulley diameter enough to speed up the 2nd stage about 300 to 500 rpm, so it clears the chute better, less clogging. Anybody got recommendations on the lower pulley size to speed up the augers? Plus I'll add the rubber flaps on the 2nd stage so it throws the snow better.
I guess I'm not sure what you're asking. What size would be needed to give a 300-500 RPM increase? What size would be appropriate, based on other people's experience? Something else?

You should be able to estimate your current impeller RPM by measuring the two pulley diameters, and using the engine RPM. Do you have a tach, so you know how fast the engine is actually turning, relative to the max RPM rating? If the engine speed is already maxed out, and you know your gearing ratio (using the ratio of the pulley diameters), that would let you figure out the new pulley diameter required to give a certain impeller RPM.

I've had 2 Ariens machines, both with 24" buckets. One impeller RPM was 1100 (with 8hp), the other is 1280 (with 10hp). So adding 500 RPM, at least for these machines, would be a pretty significant increase. Hopefully you have enough HP to deal with a higher impeller/auger speed, and heavy snow. The faster impeller will of course put a bigger load on the engine, and you're also reducing the torque to the impeller.

Ariens 1024 Pro
Toro Power Clear 221QR
Toro Power Curve 1800
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Snowblower Forum : Snow Blower Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page